CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Oct 31, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #12,512 of 25,896
Phoned up today about my black hugo TT 2 and they are delayed until end of November because of the label on the front being faulty, I said I'll have a silver one instead, who cares what colour it is, if it's pink I'll still take it, I need to phone him tomorrow morning, he sorting out the pre orders for the silver ones but he said he is 99% sure he will have a spare one for me,hopefully have it Friday, only if my luck changes though

Oct 31, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #12,513 of 25,896
IMG_0996.jpg IMG_0999.jpg
Yep, some sort of monitor stand should do. There are lots of them of all shapes and sizes on Amazon.

Yet another Amazon-sourced alternative that is working well for me:

Oct 31, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #12,516 of 25,896

Yet another Amazon-sourced alternative that is working well for me:
The DAVE sure looks better alongside the M Scaler when it matches. Every solution I’ve seen with the Hugo M Scaler below the DAVE or alongside of the DAVE just doesn’t look good and cluttered. I wish Chord would offer a standalone M Scaler in the Choral enclosure, even if it was a limited run of units. My dealer feels the same way because they can’t sell their black Blu Mk II even at a massive discount. No one wants it but they said they could easily sell a standalone at a lower price.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #12,517 of 25,896
I always think of Hi-Fi as a compromise. I still dream of how much more transparent the high-powered DX amps will be compared to the Etude a few years from now. But practically speaking, getting a Chord Etude demo would answer your question for now. As for active speakers, you'll just be pairing DAVE with less transparent amplifiers compared to Etude but there are obviously other sonic advantages. At some point, we just need to go back to listening to the music.
Yes, my plans to arrange dems and set stuff up have come to a grinding halt because of the music, hahaha.

I hope more people try this room arrangement. It's old, but rarely discussed as far as I can tell. Though you do need speakers that produce decent bass away from a wall.

I am inclined to think that the Etude will be pretty amazing but I have heard a friends ATC SCM40A active speakers and they are stunning compared to the passive version of the same speaker that he used to have. Had you got as far as thinking about which active ATC might catch your eye?
50ASLT or 150ASLT. 50ASLT is slightly more practical (emphasis on "slightly") since they both take a lot of space in a middle of the room type of arrangement. Weights: 53 versus 77Kg, yeah I'm not moving either of them very far on my own!

I've satisfied myself that a "middle of the room" speaker setup like I'm using produces the least bass problems, so the bigger speaker is just for bass extension, since the mid and treble drivers are the same.

Many speakers don't work close up, but listening to the ATCs at 2m or less is very commonly done, so there's no risk there.

Nov 1, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #12,518 of 25,896
Yes, my plans to arrange dems and set stuff up have come to a grinding halt because of the music, hahaha.

I hope more people try this room arrangement. It's old, but rarely discussed as far as I can tell. Though you do need speakers that produce decent bass away from a wall.

50ASLT or 150ASLT. 50ASLT is slightly more practical (emphasis on "slightly") since they both take a lot of space in a middle of the room type of arrangement. Weights: 53 versus 77Kg, yeah I'm not moving either of them very far on my own!

I've satisfied myself that a "middle of the room" speaker setup like I'm using produces the least bass problems, so the bigger speaker is just for bass extension, since the mid and treble drivers are the same.

Many speakers don't work close up, but listening to the ATCs at 2m or less is very commonly done, so there's no risk there.

HMS + DAVE + ATC SCM50 ASLTs is an excellent system. Just happen to be listening to mine right now! Go for the 150s if you want the extra bass and your room, bank balance and back can take it.

Nov 1, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #12,519 of 25,896
Where’s that soap box!
Please let me try to explain the Ensemble stands are expensive because of several factors firstly each single piece consists of four precision turned solid aircraft grade Anodised aluminium or copper nickel plated .... ( aluminum... USA) legs the base is machined from a solid block of anodised aluminium 35mm thick 300mm x 400mm this work is very expensive in its own right being machined of a five axis milling marchine. Then add the assembly packing and world wide distribution with the marketing that goes with the business and finally then add the not inconsiderable cost of retail which in its merry way adds about fifty percent to the price all in all we have to make the product to cover all the additional hidden costs too. I’m sure now you will perhaps understand, when I say that we Chord make virtually nothing on those beautifully crafted stands. We make them because as a combined system it looks so damned good. We have had those penny pinching sentiment thrown at us even by our distributors so we have said go ahead use local machine shops and get some cheaper quotes. One distributor did try but honestly he soon agreed with me that his local efforts looked a like total waste of aluminium. Therefore purchaser feel safe in the knowledge that yes they are expensive but the are more than worth it!
It’s a pity you can’t sell simpler items on a web shop of your own and cut the distributor and they’re 50% out. They’re not adding a lot of value in this case.

Nov 1, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #12,520 of 25,896
It’s a pity you can’t sell simpler items on a web shop of your own and cut the distributor and they’re 50% out. They’re not adding a lot of value in this case.

+100

With products ranging from the Mojo to DAVE to stands, crazy hard to efficiently leverage a common distribution model.

More generally I’d love to buy direct and send more margin direct to Chord while spending less.

When I do work through a dealer to demo/audition stuff, I buy through them (I appreciate the value they bring). However, I’ve bought Mojo/DAVE/Blu2/Hugo2/HMS all unheard/undemoed (one led to the next), with my support coming from this community. >10 were purchased by friends after hearing mine. Rob and John are remarkably well engaged and supportive, with an amazing direct relationship with the community. Community is first rate (to say the least)

Paying that sort of premium to someone to order something from a distributor who gets paid a premium to order something from Chord seems like a win-win waiting to happen. Low touch accessories and parts could be a great way to dip a toe in the direct waters.

Nov 1, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #12,522 of 25,896
Never realized how bad the Chord Dave is untill I tried it with the Mscalar.

And the funny thing is, when I compared the Chord Dave against way more expensive DAC’s, it did not sound bad at all (which is why I got the Dave as it was amazing for the price that you pay)

So now I am waiting for my Mscalar to arrive after playing with it. Pairs amazingly well with the Focal Utopia.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #12,523 of 25,896
Never realized how bad the Chord Dave is untill I tried it with the Mscalar.

And the funny thing is, when I compared the Chord Dave against way more expensive DAC’s, it did not sound bad at all (which is why I got the Dave as it was amazing for the price that you pay)

So now I am waiting for my Mscalar to arrive after playing with it. Pairs amazingly well with the Focal Utopia.

The Dave doesn’t sound bad, nor is it “broken”. That’s just Hi-Fi hyperbole.

Nov 1, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #12,524 of 25,896
HMS + DAVE + ATC SCM50 ASLTs is an excellent system. Just happen to be listening to mine right now! Go for the 150s if you want the extra bass and your room, bank balance and back can take it.

In the last hour I have bought and paid for a pair of SCM150ASL second hand. The room can take them and the second hand bit means that the bank balance is not badly dented but I cannot collect them until next week . . . . . . .

Nov 1, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #12,525 of 25,896
In the last hour I have bought and paid for a pair of SCM150ASL second hand. The room can take them and the second hand bit means that the bank balance is not badly dented but I cannot collect them until next week . . . . . . .

Excellent! There’s things that active speakers do easily that passive speakers can’t dream about, and there’s things the ATC midrange unit does in particular that are very, very special. A suggestion .. you might want to make sure you listen more or less on axis, and with the midrange unit slightly above ear level - the supplied stands are a bit low for most normal people/seats. Have yours got the new tweeters? ATC products hold their value pretty well, and ATC will service and upgrade them pretty much indefinitely so the cost of ownership over a long period is actually pretty reasonable, despite the initial hit to the bank balance. Anyway enjoy your music, you will be overwhelmed I suspect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back