1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by magiccabbage, May 14, 2015.
Tags:
First

Back
826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835
837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846
Next

Last
  1. Triode User
    Thanks. They have the old tweeters but the factory have given me a quote for upgrading to the new tweeters and checking over and calibrating the amps. The amps are the current spec ones. My speakers come with factory made matching veneer solid stands similar in a sort of way to the current Anniversary ones, ie with the metal band between the speaker and the base. I was very very happy with my spendors/pass labs but these do more and with a reduced box count.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    AndrewOld likes this.
  2. AndrewOld
    Cool. You could even ask them for a quote for the Anniversary amp packs, for when your bank balance recovers...

3. Triode User
    I could but I won't because I have seen the list price of those amp packs! (P6 £24k inc cable pack) :anguished:

4. AndrewOld
    Those are the external ones .. I was meaning the ones they can build into the speakers. My ASL50Ts are the standard towers, but with the anniversary amp packs inside - they didn’t boost the price that much. Now I realise you’ve not got towers .. so I have been talking nonsense. Sorry. If enough of us get ATCs we can push Chord into making amps and DACs and digital crossovers to drive them .. that would be fun. But unlikely alas. Just as well since it would be monstrously expensive.

5. Antiquarian
    Very nice too. We built a home brew around ATC drive units some years ago. Still a very nice speaker but not as good as our current WBVs. The mid range driver is in a class of its own but very narrow bandwidth so difficult to match in a passive system which is why the active speakers are so much better.

6. miketlse
    Something like this? https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mul...ilding-atc-scm150aslt-style-loudspeakers.html

7. Antiquarian
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    Triode User and AndrewOld like this.
  8. Triode User
    I apologise to fellow Dave owners for my diversion into ATC. I will post piccies of mine when I get home with them on Tuesday.

Jiffi32 and Jawed like this.
  9. miketlse
    Nice work. Looks like solid wood, with no sign of MDF.

10. Antiquarian
    Apologies to fellow DAVE owners as this is very off topic. The bass cabinet is veneered MDF but the mid & top are detachable and solid American Black Walnut. I really enjoyed making those!

Jawed likes this.
  11. miketlse
    No need to apologise.
    Much of the discussion on Chord threads, revolves around how the Chord equipment fits into an overall AV system, and what sources, cables, power supplies, headphones, loudspeakers, produce the best overall synergy.
    This is all interesting information, for anyone considering demoing/buying Chord equipment.
    :slight_smile:

12. Triode User
    Don't worry, there will be an update on Tuesday! I am driving two hours in my 7.5 ton horse lorry to collect them.

13. jacc
    I am also interested in your feedback if your music first preamp is helping or not. I heard preamp will improve the soundstage and dynamic even with active speakers. Thanks.

14. Triode User
    I tested the ATC 150 actives with Dave going direct into them and prefer that. My friend with ATC SCM40 actives does not have a Chord DAC (he has an Arcam CD player with ringdac) and so far my MFA passive preamp is producing the best sound out of his speakers. He has tried various active preamps including the ATC preamp (the better one, I cant remember it's name) and the MFA was miles better, firmer bass, sweeter treble, nicer mids. Also I took my Dave round to his house and that going direct into his ATC SCM40 actives was better still. So, yes, the preamp does make a big difference with the actives.

jacc likes this.
  15. AndrewOld
    When I had ATC SCM100 ASLs, I also had the top ATC preamp, the SCA2 which I used with a CD player. It is a beautiful thing. I later got a Benchmark DAC and it sounded better going straight into my speakers, so I sold the preamp. Unless there are impedance matching issues, it is very difficult to understand how putting a preamp between a DAVE and a pair of active speakers could possibly improve the DAVE.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    jacc likes this.
First

Back
826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835
837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846
Next

Last