CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Oct 17, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #12,422 of 25,884
Hi,

I was looking around for high res music for my DAVE when I found this interesting site:

https://samplerateconverter.com/educational/dsd-music

It contains a nice table of different web sites offering high resolution music.

I will probably download some samplers to see how they sound on the DAVE before buying.

Oct 18, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #12,423 of 25,884
The Stax 009 can be such an acid test for overdone highs on any system that it's almost an unfair challenge.
(Someone here who uses a modern version of the legendary Stax T2 amp with an 009 actually uses nothing but vinyl.)

By the way, although it was years ago I had one, you might consider a Playback Designs DAC or CD-Player DAC. It really keeps the digital glare and shrillness at bay. (I had the PD MPS5 cdp. I have not heard the new ones.)

(My DAVE is nice and warm-sounding with a good non-fatiguing headphone amp in front of it. And I enjoy my DSD collection very much with DAVE in DSD+ mode.)

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #12,424 of 25,884
Yesterday, I was looking at some audio server videos on youtube, as I’m thinking of getting one. But inbetween server video’s, I came across this video. It’s about cables for use on Dave mainly, but they can also be used on any device that has bnc connectors.

Once watched, I went to find out more about the cables and I came across this review of them.

https://www.pursuitperfectsystem.com/storm-reference-digital-cable-your-chord-dave-will-love-it.html

The review that they get when connected to a Dave is good. I don’t know if anyone here has those cables, but after seeing the video and then reading the review, I’m seriously considering buying a set for myself, but I have a couple of questions first.

Does anyone here have these cables ? If so, are they any good at limiting interference ?

If I buy a set, mine won’t be used on a dave, but they will be used on an MScaler and Hugo 2 initially, and in the very near future a Chord TT2.

Thanks.

Oct 18, 2018 at 4:30 AM Post #12,425 of 25,884
Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 4:53 AM Post #12,426 of 25,884
@Amberlamps: Wave cables: https://www.wavehighfidelity.com/

I believe that you can try and return the cables if you are not satisfied...

Thanks for that, it’s good to know that if I’m not satisfied, I can ship them back. I saw a couple of their cables and they do look nice. Nice looking and sounding cables are a must nowadays,

Thanks for that :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #12,427 of 25,884
Are there any reviews yet comparing the Focal Utopia, HEKV2, HEKse and Final D8000? The only other consideration would be the STAX SR-009 but not sure I want to introduce a tube amp into the chain when using my CHORD DAVE. M-scaler with DAVE could be a game changer regarding these comparisons though!
I forgot to turn off the Dave this past week and when I went to use it again it was extremely warm to touch. It is not in an enclosed space so there’s plenty of room for air currents to flow. How warm to touch is considered normal when the unit is in standby mode? To most Dave owners just keep it in the standby mode when not in use for long periods of time or is it better to turn off the unit?

Oct 18, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #12,428 of 25,884
I forgot to turn off the Dave this past week and when I went to use it again it was extremely warm to touch. It is not in an enclosed space so there’s plenty of room for air currents to flow. How warm to touch is considered normal when the unit is in standby mode? To most Dave owners just keep it in the standby mode when not in use for long periods of time or is it better to turn off the unit?
Mine is certainly quite warm to the touch when left on. I am not sure what you would call “extremely”, but it is warmer than I am used to with other equipment. I have kept it on since I have had it for break-in purposes, but am debating if I should turn it off when not in use.

Oct 18, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #12,429 of 25,884
Mine is certainly quite warm to the touch when left on. I am not sure what you would call “extremely”, but it is warmer than I am used to with other equipment. I have kept it on since I have had it for break-in purposes, but am debating if I should turn it off when not in use.

I keep my Dave on 24/7 which is what I do with all my HiFi except for my Class A power amps (on as opposed to standby). Whether or not my logic is correct I prefer to have a steady state in the circuits being on all the time rather than surges at switch on /switch off. One amplifier in our kitchen system has been continuously on for over 20 years although I did have to replace the power supply caps last year.

Oct 18, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #12,430 of 25,884
Yesterday, I was looking at some audio server videos on youtube, as I’m thinking of getting one. But inbetween server video’s, I came across this video. It’s about cables for use on Dave mainly, but they can also be used on any device that has bnc connectors.

Once watched, I went to find out more about the cables and I came across this review of them.

https://www.pursuitperfectsystem.com/storm-reference-digital-cable-your-chord-dave-will-love-it.html

Does anyone here have these cables ? If so, are they any good at limiting interference ?

If I buy a set, mine won’t be used on a dave, but they will be used on an MScaler and Hugo 2 initially, and in the very near future a Chord TT2.

Thanks.

I have a pair of WAVE Storm Reference cables. I use them between a Chord DAVE and a Chord Blu MK II CD player/M-scaler. I’ve compared them to the OEM cables included by Chord, as well as some of the inexpensive but recommended BNC cables from the Blu MK II thread, with and without added ferrites. And in the last week I had the opportunity to compare them in my system to Wireworld Starlight 8, Gold 7 and Platinum 7 BNC digital cables, again, with and without ferrites. In all cases, including the $3000/pair Platinum Starlight 7 cables, I preferred the WAVE cables. The audible improvement, particularly over the less expensive cables is easily heard. The WAVEs do an exceptional job of removing the RF noise Rob Watts says is responsible for a brighter sound with less depth of field. Nick Bacon is great to deal with and he produces a quality product that really does do what he says it does.

Hope this helps,

Steve Z

Oct 18, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #12,431 of 25,884
I have a pair of WAVE Storm Reference cables. I use them between a Chord DAVE and a Chord Blu MK II CD player/M-scaler. I’ve compared them to the OEM cables included by Chord, as well as some of the inexpensive but recommended BNC cables from the Blu MK II thread, with and without added ferrites. And in the last week I had the opportunity to compare them in my system to Wireworld Starlight 8, Gold 7 and Platinum 7 BNC digital cables, again, with and without ferrites. In all cases, including the $3000/pair Platinum Starlight 7 cables, I preferred the WAVE cables. The audible improvement, particularly over the less expensive cables is easily heard. The WAVEs do an exceptional job of removing the RF noise Rob Watts says is responsible for a brighter sound with less depth of field. Nick Bacon is great to deal with and he produces a quality product that really does do what he says it does.

Hope this helps,

Steve Z

our dear friend was just next to you! :wink:

Oct 19, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #12,432 of 25,884
our dear friend was just next to you! :wink:

It's too early in the morning here for me to get that. Do you guys have a mutual friend?

Oct 19, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #12,433 of 25,884

Hope this helps,

Steve Z

Thats great news, as I’m thinking about buying a set and before I took the plunge, I wanted to know if the price was justifiable. You know how it is, is it real or snake oil. But in all cases that I’ve seen/heard/read, the answer seems to be a resounding yes, they really do work, and work great, especially with a Dave.

Roughly $2000 / £1500 for a set isn’t pocket change, it’s good to hear what real users have to say about them. I Have sent an email to Wave, but it was just a few hours ago, they were probably closed given the time difference. Hopefully I hear back from them today or it may be monday before I hear from them ?

Thanks for your post, it has helped me decide to buy a set. Before your post I was interested, but undecided on whether I should buy a set or not. But now I will definitely grab a set.

Thanks again for your help/post.

If anyone else has wave cables, can you please post your experience/opinion of them. Just to help me build a bigger picture.

It will be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #12,434 of 25,884
Oct 19, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #12,435 of 25,884
The Stax 009 can be such an acid test for overdone highs on any system that it's almost an unfair challenge.
(Someone here who uses a modern version of the legendary Stax T2 amp with an 009 actually uses nothing but vinyl.)

By the way, although it was years ago I had one, you might consider a Playback Designs DAC or CD-Player DAC. It really keeps the digital glare and shrillness at bay. (I had the PD MPS5 cdp. I have not heard the new ones.)

(My DAVE is nice and warm-sounding with a good non-fatiguing headphone amp in front of it. And I enjoy my DSD collection very much with DAVE in DSD+ mode.)

Yes - but if you can get the exact right synergy, I don't think there is a headphone that sounds more transparent. 007 is close but always seemed veiled to me in comparison. I love my LCD4 but it's more a fun headphone than a truly accurate one. The LCD 4 sounds like speakers, whereas the Stax sounds like windows into a live performance.

I got back my Yggdrasil 2, 24 hours ago - and it's easy listening with the 009 - but all sepia tones. I know this improves with stabilization of the new boards - as there was a significant difference with my A1. That said, I can't get the Dave out of my mind. Yes, it sounds better than real with studio recordings that sound that way - but thats how studio recordings are recorded.

Especially Steely Dan:

With Dave when I was listening to Kamakiriad by Donald Fagen, what I can't get out of my head is the spookiness of the female background vocals. I can't describe them any other way than angelic. I never heard background vocals like that before. The bass was so defined, dead centered and solid I felt like I could stand on it and peer over the edges, like riding on a surfboard through a happytown of moog synthesizers, ride cymbals and noodling guitars. It didn't have unnatural depth but most studio recordings don't. There is a crash cymbal on "Tomorrow's Girl's" which sounds dissonant on every play back format I've ever listened to. On Dave this dissonance is gone.

For you Phish-heads - you know 12/31/95 is considered not only one of their best shows - but one of their best recorded shows as it is one of the few that was recorded and mixed via multi-track. The depth was insane. Not overdone, but like I was standing in general admission as the band took the stage. The sound of the guitar on "Punch You in The Eye" had this realness to it that I have only experienced live. It wasn't hyper-real. It was completely real. A magic trick. Virtual Auditory Reality in it's truest sense.

For the Star Trek Into the Darkness score, Dave pulled apart the strings so I could hear each violin, cello, horn individually and as part of a whole. Not a hint of smearing in it's most dense passages.

I've been listening to the Vega without my LDR preamp (with the 5% THD I mentioned previously( and it's got so much more light than my Yggy2 right now, but most importantly - I am not getting listening fatigue. Vega, while not bleached, is generally considered to lean bright. I can't help but think that if I get the Dave home, use the digital pre rather than my current one - and I would get all the sounds I've been describing without the headache. I am not positive though, which makes it hard for me to just go out and drop that kind of cash.

If I knew it didn't, I'd buy it tomorrow.

For those who have heard both - Vega is brighter than Dave no? Especially in the upper mids? I didn't flip back and forth between them - but knowing this would help me buy more confidently.

I just can't get Dave out of my head, and while I have some great headphones - they sound pedestrian now that I've gotten a taste of it.

The first time I got into head-fi seriously, was when I got a great deal on a Sennheiser He60 and bought a Stax 717 and a Wadia 121. I listened to it and was just like What? This is completely new, exciting and - for lack of a better term - revelatory. Listening to Dave was like that first time.

Knowing how much a windows the Stax 009 is, imagine it with the Dave if you've ever heard it before. It's just other worldly. But will the listening fatigue creep back? I don't know.

Should I get one? I have never been so astounded by a DAC.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back