CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jun 21, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #11,462 of 25,901

I think Davina, as a product, is a long way off if you see what Rob has been writing about lately. As late as 1 month ago he was talking in the future tense about how it should prove how good his What...oops, WTA filters are in recreating the original analogue waveform.

I say What (jokingly) above because that is one expression that springs to mind when I listen to the timbres of instruments and transients produced by DAVE in my system.

Regards
GG

Jun 21, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #11,463 of 25,901
Is anyone running DAVE into Anthony Gallo Strada 2 with TR-3d?

I'm thinking that RCA out on DAVE can go direct to Strada 2 and XLR out can go to the line-in inputs on the TR-3d. DAVE would be driving the Strada 2 "full range" in this setup with the crossover on the TR-3d only affecting the bass integration by manipulating the subwoofer's "crossover frequency" and level.

Page 10 of the TR-3d manual:

https://www.roundsound.com/manuals/TR3D Instruction Manual.pdf

seems to specify this as the "default" configuration for TR-3d + Strada 2. (The alternative is to feed amplifier output into the "HIGH LEVEL IN" inputs in parallel with the cables that are connected to Strada 2 - again, the music being fed to Strada 2 is full range.)

So then the question is whether 2W from DAVE into this system is enough for a "desktop" system? The TR-3d subwoofer has a power amp to drive the bass driver, so DAVE doesn't seem to have to supply much power in the bass, since Strada 2 rolls off at 68Hz.

I was deeply impressed by voices on TR-3d + Strada 2 in a shop demo and I'm wondering if I can set this up as a purist DAVE desktop system...

Now playing: Leif Vollebekk - Tallahassee

Jun 21, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #11,464 of 25,901
I'm wondering if I can set this up as a purist DAVE desktop system...
I thought exactly the same but not sure the thing can run properly without an amp...
I was also thinking of KEF LS50 with one of the Chord amps...

Jun 22, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #11,467 of 25,901
If only chord have something for in car use
I think there were a handful of posts in the Mojo thread, by owners who connected their Mojos into their car systems. Even phone>Mojo>cable into the line-in of the car stereo, was said to improve the sound, so just think what a proper chord car stereo could do.

Jun 22, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #11,468 of 25,901
Any opinions on DAVE's HF Filter toggle? I went back and forth many times and find I like it off. The highs were vaguely more distorted and something just bothered me.
It's kind of like the Utopia headphone, where the highs are extended but so natural and clean they are not fatiguing or shrill or painful.

Jun 22, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #11,469 of 25,901
North West Audio Show 2018

Venue: De Vere Cranage Estate, Byley Lane, Holmes Chapel, Cheshire CW4 8EW

Date(s): Saturday 23rd & Sunday 24th June 2018

Chord Electronics and KEF Speakers will be exhibiting the following hi-fi equipment:-

Show-System 1: KEF Ref.1 speakers with the Chord Choral hi-fi system (featuring the Blu, Dave and the new Etude power-amplifier)

Show-System 2: the new Hugo TT-2 with TToby power-amp featuring the much heralded KEF LS50 loudspeakers

Come see and hear these wonderful hi-fi systems... free-entry, free-parking, 'live' music and plenty more.

35923545_1390198914413459_2078659872278183936_o.jpg

Chord Blu, Dave and the new Etude power-amplifier with KEF Ref.1 Loudspeakers

Jun 23, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #11,470 of 25,901
I'm super new to Roon. But why has my Chord Dave been recognised by Roon as a Chord Qutest? xD

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #11,471 of 25,901
Is anyone running DAVE into Anthony Gallo Strada 2 with TR-3d?

I'm thinking that RCA out on DAVE can go direct to Strada 2 and XLR out can go to the line-in inputs on the TR-3d. DAVE would be driving the Strada 2 "full range" in this setup with the crossover on the TR-3d only affecting the bass integration by manipulating the subwoofer's "crossover frequency" and level.

Page 10 of the TR-3d manual:

https://www.roundsound.com/manuals/TR3D Instruction Manual.pdf

seems to specify this as the "default" configuration for TR-3d + Strada 2. (The alternative is to feed amplifier output into the "HIGH LEVEL IN" inputs in parallel with the cables that are connected to Strada 2 - again, the music being fed to Strada 2 is full range.)

So then the question is whether 2W from DAVE into this system is enough for a "desktop" system? The TR-3d subwoofer has a power amp to drive the bass driver, so DAVE doesn't seem to have to supply much power in the bass, since Strada 2 rolls off at 68Hz.

I was deeply impressed by voices on TR-3d + Strada 2 in a shop demo and I'm wondering if I can set this up as a purist DAVE desktop system...

Now playing: Leif Vollebekk - Tallahassee
None?
The more I read about these Strada 2the more they look like a very good match for Dave.
Despite their 90dB sensitivity it looks like the manufacturer suggests 10W amplification power, so a bit far from Dave.

Jun 23, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #11,472 of 25,901
None?
The more I read about these Strada 2the more they look like a very good match for Dave.
Despite their 90dB sensitivity it looks like the manufacturer suggests 10W amplification power, so a bit far from Dave.
Sometime later this summer I plan to borrow them and the subwoofer for a week. I also plan to get a set of cables made specifically for DAVE. I will then compare with an integrated amp I still have from the 1980s (45W per channel) to see what extra power brings to the party.

90dB efficiency at 1W at a desk with 1m maximum listening distance should be quite loud - it's really a matter of control. If I decide I need more power maybe I'll be lucky and Chord will release a power pulse array amplifier soon that's beefier than TT2 with DAVE's noise shaper and 20 element array...

Jun 23, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #11,473 of 25,901
I'm super new to Roon. But why has my Chord Dave been recognised by Roon as a Chord Qutest? xD

Same thing happened to me. I have an UltraRendu between the server and DAVE. And you have to "fix" it otherwise no DSD playback (or that is what my symptom was).

This is how I fixed it.

From the 3-bar menu on top left, Go to Settings:

Select Audio from the left hand panel

Scroll down to the Network subsection (on the right) to roon ready. Click the cogged gear wheels to the right of your device, in my case it was Sonore ultraRendu. Select Device Setup and under the Audio Device heading, where it has Chord Cutest, click on the "Not your device?" coloured wording and select the "Identify this device" wording. Now mine actually said it was a Chord Electronics Ltd Dave but I chose to re-identify it anyway and it worked.

Roon Device Identify - Copy.png

Jun 24, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #11,475 of 25,901
Dear all

as a "newcomer" (sorry for my bad English:baby:) I've been trying to read all the 765 pages of this forum but I haven't found a configuration like mine here (yet) and I thought I share my experience with my signal chain (SOtM sMS-200ultra /masterclock from REF10/ --> SOtM tXUSBultra /masterclock from REF10/ --> 2x Mutec MC3+ USB /masterclock from REF10/ --> Dave --> microZOTL 2 preamp --> Focal Utopia)

I've read many reports regarding how much better Dave's USB input was comparing to the BNC/AES input. I can confirm that especially regarding the extreme wide bass stage provided by the USB input. Actually I was quiet supprised how well Dave does the job, even better than my "old" Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ with wordclock from one of the MC3's and both MC3's receiving masterclock from a REF10.

However with Dave, I really missed the sharp and precise sound produced by the Mutec reclockers - which happen to have no USB output:angry:. So the question was how to get the best of both the USB and BNC input variants in order to achive the improved bass stage while keeping the chrystal clear edges of the sound? And the answer is as always:blush:: ferrites. As soon as I put 8-10 ferrites on the short BNC cable between the 2nd MC3+ and the Dave (actually almost covering the whole cable with ferrites) some 80% of the bass advantage of Dave's USB input reappeared on the BNC cable while enjoying the benefits of the Mutec reclockers. "Funny" thing that you really need the two MC3+ with masterclock to get an audible positive difference: only one MC3+ or turning off the REF10 made the whole chain equal or even worse than Dave with USB input.

My Blu Mk2 is going to arrive hopefully in 2 weeks, so the test goes on!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back