CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jun 25, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #11,491 of 25,909
1 Dump Qobuz. Now. It is hoplessly low res.
2 Get a subscription to a minimum cd quality streaming service like Tidal or Qobuz. A years subscription to Qobuz will give you high res streaming of thousands of albums for about the same money as two inches of stupid audiophile mains cable.
3 If streaming isn’t your thing, then buy loads of cds and rip them losslessly. They are very cheap nowadays.
4 Forget cables and voodoo. Listen to music. You have bought the best DAC in the world. Feed it with the highest quality music you can, and listen to it through the highest quality headphones and/or speakers you can.
Hey you!!!! To get ac 2 dc clean is'ent stupid. Stupid.

Jun 25, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #11,495 of 25,909
You saying Rob Watts doesn’t know how to get a clean dc supply?

No amount of fancy mains cable will make Spotify sound like Qobuz Sublime +, or any other cd quality or high res source.
I am not talking about mains cable? But the mains itself!!! Get a regenerator for your dave. If you are not living next to a powerplant and you are the only one to live there!!!

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #11,499 of 25,909
When I switched to a dedicated 20amp AC line (with 8 awg wire) for my DAVE directly feeding Utopia,I immediately heard more low level detail but the most noticeable difference was the removal of harshness in the highs. This makes me believe that noise was making it into the DAVE and causing harshness. Harshness I didn’t really notice was there till it was gone.

I realized how noisy my AC lines were at my old place when I was listening to music and ran my paper shredder which was plugged into an adjacent wall from the DAVE, and I heard all this noise and static from the shredder bleed through to the headphones.

Now, if you have a fairly new home with good wiring, the jump to a dedicated AC line might not be as big as it was for me since I started with such crappy AC.

Jun 25, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #11,501 of 25,909
When I switched to a dedicated 20amp AC line (with 8 awg wire) for my DAVE directly feeding Utopia,I immediately heard more low level detail but the most noticeable difference was the removal of harshness in the highs. This makes me believe that noise was making it into the DAVE and causing harshness. Harshness I didn’t really notice was there till it was gone.

I realized how noisy my AC lines were at my old place when I was listening to music and ran my paper shredder which was plugged into an adjacent wall from the DAVE, and I heard all this noise and static from the shredder bleed through to the headphones.

Now, if you have a fairly new home with good wiring, the jump to a dedicated AC line might not be as big as it was for me since I started with such crappy AC.
+1

Jun 25, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #11,503 of 25,909
D*mn I meant Dump Spotify! I’ve fixed my original post, Thanks.

(If you want to make me feel less stupid, you could delete your post and I’ll delete this one.)

I've deleted my text.
N

Jun 25, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #11,505 of 25,909
But you only need 10 amp for dave..

Depending on your mains voltage you don't even need that as Dave probably draws less than half an amp at UK voltages. And dedicated mains wiring isn't really dedicated or separated because it is all linked together at the consumer unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back