CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jun 25, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #11,507 of 25,832
Alright. I got a trial for Tidal HQ. Will probably keep spotify too though, because in 2 hours I've already tried to listen to several albums Tidal doesn't have available.

As far as AC goes -- I'm in a condo building. I replaced the receptacles, but that's about as good as it's gonna get. I generally agree that for $12k I better be getting a power supply that can convert AC to clean DC without loads of other equipment.

LCD-4Zs next!

Jun 25, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #11,508 of 25,832
Alright. I got a trial for Tidal HQ. Will probably keep spotify too though, because in 2 hours I've already tried to listen to several albums Tidal doesn't have available.

As far as AC goes -- I'm in a condo building. I replaced the receptacles, but that's about as good as it's gonna get. I generally agree that for $12k I better be getting a power supply that can convert AC to clean DC without loads of other equipment.

LCD-4Zs next!
Or focal utopia?

Jun 25, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #11,509 of 25,832
Or focal utopia?

Really wish I could audition one. I've been really happy with my LCDs so figured I'd just go with the best version of those. I just haven't read enough comparative notes between the LCD-4/LCD-4z/Utopia, particularly out of the DAVE, to come to a different conclusion.

Jun 25, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #11,510 of 25,832
I've had my DAVE for a few weeks now and have a couple of new owner questions. Apologies if these have been covered -- with 800 pages I'm sure these have variously come up before, but I didn't have any luck in searching the thread.

1. PCM Plus setting vs. DCM setting. What's the deal? 95% of my listening is through Spotify, with a splash of lossless through JRiver. A/Bing both modes sounds the same. Is there an accepted "optimal"? I've been on PCM for a while now and love it, but don't know / can't hear the difference.
2. I leave mine on 24/7. I use display mode 4 so the screen turns off. Display mode 3 is prettier. Is there a potential burn in issue if I use a mode without the screensaver?
3. Given I'm using stock cables, Spotify HQ, and relatively older LCD-2 v2.2s, where would you go first on the upgrade path? I'd like to get a set of LCD-4z cans, so that's in the works, but what can I do on the software or additional hardware side of things to continue to see improvements? I put the stock cable directly into the wall, and then into an old surge protector and didn't notice an audible difference, so I'm assuming the power supply in the DAVE is good enough that improvements in the power cable aren't gonna do me much good, but I'm open to alternative arguments. I'm probably most interested in what software / source tweaks have been working; e.g., should I try Tidal? Should I try buying more of my music so I can run it through JRiver and get a bit perfect output (and where do you usually shop)?

obviously it is your choice but i must admit I find the thought of spending 20K plus on dave/blu2 and then listening to spotify MP3 through it....i am not trying to be judgmental but somehow it seems counter intuitive to spend so much money on hardware and then not pursue the best sounding sources....god bless and enjoy but i do not get it

Jun 25, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #11,512 of 25,832
obviously it is your choice but i must admit I find the thought of spending 20K plus on dave/blu2 and then listening to spotify MP3 through it....i am not trying to be judgmental but somehow it seems counter intuitive to spend so much money on hardware and then not pursue the best sounding sources....god bless and enjoy but i do not get it

Well, I don't have a Blu2 for one thing, just the DAVE. And yes, it outguns everything else I have, but I'm not going to buy a whole end-game rig at once... it's with the intent of following an upgrade path, which is what I'm after with my post. I've got Tidal Hifi running now (and as I mentioned I'm using JRiver with lossless too), but Spotify does have some features I'm not quite willing to give up (mostly around discovery) so it's still going to be in the stable.

What other sources are you talking about specifically? I don't know much about getting the most out of my computer audio so I'm open to suggestions.

Jun 25, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #11,513 of 25,832
The big problem with compressed audio formats is transient timing. Dave and especially Dave and Blu2 when partnered with fast amplification, loudspeakers with a good impulse response, fast phase coherent and low inductance cables and at least CD quality software can time correctly. This gets the foot tapping and one becomes emotionally involved with the music. Unfortunately if you have never heard this you will not realise what is missing or what is possible. I have only heard one other DAC that can do this but the Chord DACs are world class at this due to Rob's long reconstruction filters and transient timing. This was obviously a PCM DAC as DSD DACs can't do this in my experience. It was also no where near the Dave and Blu2 in overall performance. Note also that analog or pulse array! amplification is necessary. Conventional class D amplifiers don't switch fast enough.

In my opinion earth boxes and additional earth cables are not required if a well designed power distribution system is used. Power cords with 4 mm2 earth cables are required, connected in a star configuration.

I stream Qobuz Hi-Fi and listen to CDs on my Dave and Blu2 connected with Oyaide digital cables with Wurth ferrites as per Rob's recommendations.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #11,514 of 25,832
The big problem with compressed audio formats is transient timing. Dave and especially Dave and Blu2 when partnered with fast amplification, loudspeakers with a good impulse response, fast phase coherent and low inductance cables and at least CD quality software can time correctly. This gets the foot tapping and one becomes emotionally involved with the music. Unfortunately if you have never heard this you will not realise what is missing or what is possible. I have only heard one other DAC that can do this but the Chord DACs are world class at this due to Rob's long reconstruction filters and transient timing. This was obviously a PCM DAC as DSD DACs can't do this in my experience. It was also no where near the Dave and Blu2 in overall performance. Note also that analog or pulse array! amplification is necessary. Conventional class D amplifiers don't switch fast enough.

In my opinion earth boxes and additional earth cables are not required if a well designed power distribution system is used. Power cords with 4 mm2 earth cables are required, connected in a star configuration.

I stream Qobuz Hi-Fi and listen to CDs on my Dave and Blu2 connected with Oyaide digital cables with Wurth ferrites as per Rob's recommendations.

So for dumb question 2, does it matter if I'm on the DSD plus or PCM setting on my DAVE? Qobuz Hifi isn't available in the US it looks like, so I'm using Tidal Hifi for now. May buy some tracks of HDTracks to see what I'm missing.

Jun 25, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #11,516 of 25,832
Hey! Are you sure of that you have tidal lossless? If not?

Yep, says Lossless. And I've got it "exclusive" so it goes into the DAVE at 44.1.

Jun 25, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #11,517 of 25,832
So for dumb question 2, does it matter if I'm on the DSD plus or PCM setting on my DAVE? Qobuz Hifi isn't available in the US it looks like, so I'm using Tidal Hifi for now. May buy some tracks of HDTracks to see what I'm missing.

I don't think you are missing much, 44.1 kHz flac on the Dave and the Dave & Blu 2 is brilliant if the rest of the system doesn't kill it.
If using Dave on its own, select the appropriate mode for the source PCM or DSD. When inputting DSD to Blu 2 use PCM mode on Dave. The most important thing is to do no sample rate conversion or MQA decoding. Try and play the recording in its originally recorded sample rate. I have no experience of Dave or Blu 2 with DSD as DSD is inherently flawed and doesn't time in my opinion. See Rob's posts about DSD.

Jun 25, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #11,518 of 25,832
I don't think you are missing much, 44.1 kHz flac on the Dave and the Dave & Blu 2 is brilliant if the rest of the system doesn't kill it.
If using Dave on its own, select the appropriate mode for the source PCM or DSD. When inputting DSD to Blu 2 use PCM mode on Dave. The most important thing is to do no sample rate conversion or MQA decoding. Try and play the recording in its originally recorded sample rate. I have no experience of Dave or Blu 2 with DSD as DSD is inherently flawed and doesn't time in my opinion. See Rob's posts about DSD.

As far as I’m aware, nobody streams DSD as the files would just be too large. And my experience with Tidal is that anything above 48/24 is likely to be MQA encoded, and unless you’ve got an MQA enabled DAC, which the Blu 2 and Dave are not, it’s probabably best to stick with 44/16 as the upper limit, even with music recorded natively in hi-res, and leave MQA alone. Accessing these settings differs between streamers and like devices and it can take some playing about to get the settings right.

Jun 25, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #11,519 of 25,832
As far as I’m aware, nobody streams DSD as the files would just be too large. And my experience with Tidal is that anything above 48/24 is likely to be MQA encoded, and unless you’ve got an MQA enabled DAC, which the Blu 2 and Dave are not, it’s probabably best to stick with 44/16 as the upper limit, even with music recorded natively in hi-res, and leave MQA alone. Accessing these settings differs between streamers and like devices and it can take some playing about to get the settings right.

Wise words here.

Especially the “leave MQA alone” part. Rob has explained very well that it is a flawed system and I must say I am far happier since I left Tidal with its MQA and went with Qobuz instead.

I went to visit Crgreen recently and he has a very sensitive ear and takes his music and HiFi very seriously. I respect his opinion.

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #11,520 of 25,832
Wise words here.

Especially the “leave MQA alone” part. Rob has explained very well that it is a flawed system and I must say I am far happier since I left Tidal with its MQA and went with Qobuz instead.

I went to visit Crgreen recently and he has a very sensitive ear and takes his music and HiFi very seriously. I respect his opinion.

Just to be clear, I'm only saying that MQA through software decoding alone has not impressed me, and doesn't sound quite right. I've not had a chance to evaluate it through an MQA enabled DAC where I imagine it would sound considerably better. How much better I'm unable to say. For the time being, MQA will remain an issue if you're after hi-res streaming over the Internet. There are other service providers who offer hi-res without MQA but I don't think their databases are as extensive as Tidal. How much that matters depends on what you listen to and how often you use the service. Then again, I keep hearing that Tidal is in financial difficulties and won't last, and that all we'll be left with is Spotify and iTunes. Maybe you shouldn't cancel that Spotify account just yet, particularly since I hear that Spotify will be moving to Red Book at some point, in which case it might be the preferred online streamer, with many more albums than Tidal.

Yes, Nick did visit me to try out his BNC cables between my Blu 2 and Dave. I was very impressed with what they did and would recommend them to anyone who feels they'd like to move beyond the stock BNC cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back