CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Mar 20, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #10,441 of 25,925
Pictures, pictures!

My excuse is we're currently working on doing a little more decorating of the room they're in (along with placement and considering acoustic dampening materials)

I am HOPING maybe in the next week I can post some pictures. Considering a review, too.

Thanks for your interest! :)

Mar 21, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #10,442 of 25,925
Gents, would appreciate your feedback.
I have had my Dave for almost 2 years with no problems.
A couple of days ago, for some reason the display suddenly turns yellow color. I turned off the unit and on again, but now the display flashes once and goes dark. The red LEDs inside the unit turns on (as if in standby mode) but the unit does not turn on with the remote as usual. Just stays dead!
Any of you have such an experience with your unit? Any known fix?
Thanks for any advice you can give.

Mar 21, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #10,443 of 25,925
Gents, would appreciate your feedback.
I have had my Dave for almost 2 years with no problems.
A couple of days ago, for some reason the display suddenly turns yellow color. I turned off the unit and on again, but now the display flashes once and goes dark. The red LEDs inside the unit turns on (as if in standby mode) but the unit does not turn on with the remote as usual. Just stays dead!
Any of you have such an experience with your unit? Any known fix?
Thanks for any advice you can give.
I would drop an email to Chord customer service or PM Rob Watts to know if there is an easy fix.

Mar 21, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #10,444 of 25,925
Yeah, if you think you might buy a DAVE, then it really makes sense to buy Hugo 2 now and add Blu 2 (or a future M Scaler) when you have saved. You'll save for longer, because the total cost is higher, but you'll have something that's a lot better than DAVE.

Weird isn't it? Now the DAVE thread should be all about recommending people buy Hugo 2, to then add Blu 2. The rule of thumb is really: don't buy DAVE unless you're also buying Blu 2.

Weird.

Now playing: Chris Anderson - Too Late Now

Mar 21, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #10,445 of 25,925
Yeah, if you think you might buy a DAVE, then it really makes sense to buy Hugo 2 now and add Blu 2 (or a future M Scaler) when you have saved. You'll save for longer, because the total cost is higher, but you'll have something that's a lot better than DAVE.

Weird isn't it? Now the DAVE thread should be all about recommending people buy Hugo 2, to then add Blu 2. The rule of thumb is really: don't buy DAVE unless you're also buying Blu 2.

Weird.

Now playing: Chris Anderson - Too Late Now
Just had a friend buy a Qutest against my recommendation for a Hugo2. Now he’s trying to lower the gain of his preamp and looking for a headphone amp! Nobody listens!

Mar 21, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #10,447 of 25,925
Just had a friend buy a Qutest against my recommendation for a Hugo2. Now he’s trying to lower the gain of his preamp and looking for a headphone amp! Nobody listens!
Qutest has 3 different output levels, so he shouldn't have a problem with his pre-amp.

Now playing: Red House Painters - Mistress

Mar 22, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #10,448 of 25,925
Seeing the latest posts, I am wondering:
People seem to be saying BluH2 is better than Dave; but is it closer to Dave or to BluDave?

I am seriously considering the Dave, but not sure I can justify the BluDave anytime soon.
So am I better off getting the H2 with the plan of getting a Mscaler in the future (blue or a version without CD playback), or just the Dave and stick with it.

Mar 22, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #10,449 of 25,925
One can be very satisfied with the DAVE (and still dream of a future affordable M-Scaler).

Mar 22, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #10,450 of 25,925
Seeing the latest posts, I am wondering:
People seem to be saying BluH2 is better than Dave; but is it closer to Dave or to BluDave?

I am seriously considering the Dave, but not sure I can justify the BluDave anytime soon.
So am I better off getting the H2 with the plan of getting a Mscaler in the future (blue or a version without CD playback), or just the Dave and stick with it.

I actually spent quite a bit of time on this question, trying to decide whether to keep my DAVE after getting my Blu2, or to swap it out for an H2. The benefit of the BluDAVE over the BluHugo2 is different than DAVE vs BluDAVE or Hugo2 vs BluHugo2, and I'm still trying to figure out how to articulate it. The Blu actually has a setting that switches it between 1M taps, 500k taps, and 250k taps, so that's what I used to try to characterize BluDAVE vs BluHugo2.

To net net for me (VERY subjective):

* If I had to choose between exclusively listening to music with a BluDAVE at 1M tap setting on Blu2 (high) and BluHugo2 at 1M tap setting, I'd definitely go BluDAVE (clearly better)

* If I had to choose between a BluDAVE at 500k tap setting (medium) and a Blu Hugo2 at high setting, I'd barely lean slightly toward the BluDAVE (better in some areas, worse in others, but on balance, I prefer the BluDAVE at medium setting)

* If I had to choose between a BluDAVE at 250k tap setting (low) and a BluHugo2 at high setting, I'd go BluHugo2 (I'd miss some of the DAVE special sauce, but the added magic from the extra taps makes up for it)

* If I had to choose between a stand alone DAVE (no Blu2) or a BluHugo2, I would easily opt for the BluHugo2. The benefit I hear from the mScaler well exceeds the benefit of the DAVE over the Hugo2.

As to what the DAVE brings over the Hugo2 (when you take taps out of the equation with the Blu2), best I can articulate it is that DAVE has a more holographic presentation (esp. in depth), where the soundstage feels more tangible and real. This is more than detail, but a sense of natural physicality. DAVE also brings more dynamics and velocity. For example, with my ultra sensitivity Voxativ drivers (incredibly fast drivers), with BluDAVE I actually get a startle response sometimes from cymbals. I do not get that from BluHugo2.

All that being said, a stand alone Hugo2 is already a true world class listening experience (revelatory actually). Don't let any of the above take away from what is amazing kit, no matter what path you go.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #10,451 of 25,925
A stand alone, less expensive, M Scaler is on the way. Rob Watt referred to it explicitly in a video awhile back. If you have no use for cds, surely it makes sense to wait for it. If you impatiently buy a Blu2 now you will be lumbered with an expensive cd transport that will lose a lot of value when the M scaler arrives, because of its inherent redundancy. And if you bought a Hugo2, you’ll always want a DAVE anyway. So get a DAVE now, enjoy it - for it is hugely enjoyable - and wave whatever you have left of your money at Chord and nag them to hurry up and bring out the less expensive M Scaler. You know it makes sense!

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #10,452 of 25,925
I am thinking to create a poll thread about what actual and potential DAVE owners (and other Chord DAC users, or anybody else for that matters) think about a standalone M-Scaler.

I mean, for instance, how many of us would be interested in it and at which price point...

Do you guys think is a good idea?

If yes, what relevant questions could we add to the poll to make it relevant to us and to Chord (so to make them prioritise the release of such a product)?

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #10,453 of 25,925
I am thinking to create a poll thread about what actual and potential DAVE owners (and other Chord DAC users, or anybody else for that matters) think about a standalone M-Scaler.

I mean, for instance, how many of us would be interested in it and at which price point...

If yes, what relevant questions could we add to the poll to make it relevant to us and to Chord (so to make them prioritise the release of such a product)?

Go for it.

Mar 22, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #10,454 of 25,925

What inputs/outputs would you want to see?
Do you want eq tweaks?
Would use of cheap connecting cables be preferred?
Are you willing to be patient to get the ideal?
Can the firmware be updated?
Would you be willing to participate in the alpha/beta?
Is streaming a necessity?
Would control via phone be preferred to dials and switches?

Mar 22, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #10,455 of 25,925

What kind of enclosure would you prefer in order to disguise another several k$ box in your rack and avoid being dumped by your wife?
Would like to get an offer from the same financing company you are using for your house’s loan?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back