CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Apr 29, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #8,387 of 25,883
Today, I had an opportunities to listen to Dave + Blu2 in Tokyo.

I own Dave but the sound came out from the Dave linked with Blu2 was pretty much different from the original sound I am familiar with... I have no appropriate words to explain the sound but what I heard reminded me of a very famous picture so I simply paste it here.

The space is not totally black...
982px-Pillars_of_creation_2014_HST_WFC3-UVIS_full-res_denoised.jpg

Apr 30, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #8,390 of 25,883
@Kakki did you got your observation based on A\B test, one a listen to Blu2 with Dave and other is Dave only or did you get that based a listen to tracks that you are familiar with or is it vastly obvious because the enhancements was so big.

Apr 30, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #8,392 of 25,883
I'm trying to figure out the gallery of this forum and other forums but without success
Any idea
When you go to the Gallery, below the «Head-Fi Gallery Menu» line there are a couple of links, unfortunately with white characters on a white background. The admin has promised that they will take for it, but currently they have other priorities. When you draw an imaginary vertical line from the right half of «Head Gear» downward, the topmost link will be «My Albums» if I recall correctly.

May 1, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #8,393 of 25,883
I was with @Kakki at the time he heard the M scaler in Tokyo. It was a fairly brief listen, as although the stand had two Blu 2's it was very busy. And we spent quite a bit of time chatting too!

I can sympathize about his inability to give the appropriate words to describe the experience - it's possible to characterize the changes in the usual Hi-Fi terms - but there is something else going on, and its difficult to put your finger on it - all you know is that you are experiencing something very different.

Later on @jude dropped by, and we spent a lot of time talking. Anyway, I mentioned some extremely unusual headphones that I had seen at the show, and were basically open drivers - which have no right to reproduce any levels of bass. I managed to get hold of a pair, and then queued up to plug them into a Dave/Blu 2. Jude made the comment that even though he was hearing headphones that were clearly extremely unusual, and had never heard them before, he could still tell that he was hearing an M scaler - even though he had had only a relatively brief listen at CES some 4 months before.

Another example of this is that you can hear the effect of the M scaler even on recordings you have never heard before. So how can one summarize this? I guess if I had to put it in a simple sentence it would be it just simply sounds real - and everything else sounds wrong. Perhaps I am simply being a fanboy and caught up in my own enthusiasm for this - after all this last 9 months has been an extremely exciting period - but now that Blu 2's are now getting shipped, I am very curious to see other people's reaction to it after they have spent time actually living with it.

Rob

May 1, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #8,395 of 25,883
This may be a bit off topic but wanted to hear from DAVE owners what music rips they listen to through through the DAVE. There appears to be much controversy over something rates in bed death all over the place with many believing that there are no perceptible differences. Having said that,
I rip all of my CDs to FLAC files and according to the dbpoweramp forums the sample rate is only 16kHz/44.1 but bit perfect. Is there a way to rip a CD using dbpoweramp at a higher resolution or is this the best you can get from any CD?

I can spend more money and download my favorite FLAC albums ripped at 96kHz/24bit from places like HDtracks but even on the most expensive DAP available or playing FLAC files through a CHORD DAC like Hugo2 or DAVE would there be any advantage in perceived sound quality with TOTL headphones like Utopias??

May 1, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #8,396 of 25,883
This may be a bit off topic but wanted to hear from DAVE owners what music rips they listen to through through the DAVE. There appears to be much controversy over something rates in bed death all over the place with many believing that there are no perceptible differences. Having said that,
I rip all of my CDs to FLAC files and according to the dbpoweramp forums the sample rate is only 16kHz/44.1 but bit perfect. Is there a way to rip a CD using dbpoweramp at a higher resolution or is this the best you can get from any CD?

I can spend more money and download my favorite FLAC albums ripped at 96kHz/24bit from places like HDtracks but even on the most expensive DAP available or playing FLAC files through a CHORD DAC like Hugo2 or DAVE would there be any advantage in perceived sound quality with TOTL headphones like Utopias??

@Rob Watts DACs internally upsample the input music files, and so there is little point in spending a lot of money buying/streaming HiRes tracks.

May 1, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #8,397 of 25,883
I was with @Kakki at the time he heard the M scaler in Tokyo. It was a fairly brief listen, as although the stand had two Blu 2's it was very busy. And we spent quite a bit of time chatting too!

I can sympathize about his inability to give the appropriate words to describe the experience - it's possible to characterize the changes in the usual Hi-Fi terms - but there is something else going on, and its difficult to put your finger on it - all you know is that you are experiencing something very different.

Yes, I was with Rob in the event. I tried M-Scaler on / off with my own music / headphone that I knew very well.

Still... it is pretty difficult to explain the sound I heard because it was very different from usual sound I have heard.

It was very rich in details and gradation... and very very smooth that reminded me of the photo "Pillars of Creation" that shows infinity space fulfilled with very beautiful gradation of star light particles.

May 1, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #8,399 of 25,883

Users who are viewing this thread

Back