CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Mar 14, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #7,906 of 26,005
Interesting:

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/highresaudio-to-stop-offering-mqa/?utm_source=Default+Hi-Fi%2B+List&utm_campaign=4dc42b8f8f-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_03_14&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ff6dfd0295-4dc42b8f8f-162412873

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #7,907 of 26,005
Interesting:

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/highresaudio-to-stop-offering-mqa/?utm_source=Default+Hi-Fi%2B+List&utm_campaign=4dc42b8f8f-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_03_14&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ff6dfd0295-4dc42b8f8f-162412873

old news

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #7,908 of 26,005
Yea, shocking content providers and hardware vendors are starting to drop the latest in a long line of expensive proprietary standard.

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #7,911 of 26,005
Audio Sync Problems with DAVE.

I've been auditioning the DAVE at home this weekend in my two channel rig, I'm pretty happy with the DACs sound, one of the best DACs I've heard on my rig at any price.

However, I can't get over the sync problems when I switch over to my TV input. The audio sync delay is pretty bad when using PCM+ , when switching to DSD+ the delay is much better, not completely solved but at least video is watchable.

If you are playing video from a computer you can either give your media player a negative time offset of 106 milliseconds (i.e. audio is ahead of video) in PCM+ mode; 53ms in DSD+ mode.

Or, you can set your operating system or media player to upsample to 768Khz. DAVE won't then have much, if any, delay. Even upsampling to 384Khz will substantially reduce the delay.

I don't know of any options when not using a computer for video playback.

Now playing: Jack - Dress You in Mourning

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #7,912 of 26,005
If you are playing video from a computer you can either give your media player a negative time offset of 106 milliseconds (i.e. audio is ahead of video) in PCM+ mode; 53ms in DSD+ mode.

Or, you can set your operating system or media player to upsample to 768Khz. DAVE won't then have much, if any, delay. Even upsampling to 384Khz will substantially reduce the delay.

I don't know of any options when not using a computer for video playback.

Now playing: Jack - Dress You in Mourning

Thanks for the pointers, this is for the input from my Sony Bravia.

Not sure if Rob Watts still checks in with this thread, I'd think this can easily be addressed through a software update. Otherwise the only solution would be to purchase a separate DAC dedicated for video playback and run it through my preamp, definitely a deal breaker for me. I'm surprised that not a lot of people are complaining about this.

By the way I see the DAVE is listed in the 'K' category on the latest issue of Stereophile, usually that indicates a formal review is in the works.

ST

Mar 15, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #7,913 of 26,005
... I'm surprised that not a lot of people are complaining about this.
ST

Maybe in this section of the forum not a lot of people use a TV as source ... just a thought
wink.gif

Mar 15, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #7,915 of 26,005
... I'm surprised that not a lot of people are complaining about this.
ST

I do watch TV with my Chord DAVE. Always. But all my video signals route through my Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray player. Because my cable signal from the PVR box is 1080i/720p and I felt the Oppo upsampling is better so I let it do the upsampling to 1080p first before sending the signal to my Panasonic plasma TV. The point is that Oppo has an audio delay option so with a proper calibration Blu-ray, I just change the audio delay so that DAVE syncs well with the video signal.

Mar 15, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #7,916 of 26,005
  I do watch TV with my Chord DAVE. Always. But all my video signals route through my Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray player. Because my cable signal from the PVR box is 1080i/720p and I felt the Oppo upsampling is better so I let it do the upsampling to 1080p first before sending the signal to my Panasonic plasma TV. The point is that Oppo has an audio delay option so with a proper calibration Blu-ray, I just change the audio delay so that DAVE syncs well with the video signal.

​At CanJam Rob Watts asked me if I used my DAVE to listen to the TV. I said "No". He urged me to at least try it as he was of the opinion that it would change my listening habits for TV. Since my Astro satellite TV box has an optical out port I might try it one night when I am not listening to music. It might help me to reconnect with Astro even with all the repeat programs and self-advertising they do ever so relentlessly.

GG

Mar 15, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #7,917 of 26,005
​At CanJam Rob Watts asked me if I used my DAVE to listen to the TV. I said "No". He urged me to at least try it as he was of the opinion that it would change my listening habits for TV. Since my Astro satellite TV box has an optical out port I might try it one night when I am not listening to music. It might help me to reconnect with Astro even with all the repeat programs and self-advertising they do ever so relentlessly.

GG

Great idea. But you need to watch out as some of these TV boxes only put out Dolby Digital 5.1 audio through their Toslink connection and you can't force them to put out 2-channel PCM for Chord DAVE. This is why I use the Oppo too because my TV box would send the 5.1 Dolby Digital audio to the Oppo player via HDMI and the Oppo would downconvert it to 2-channel PCM to be fed Toslink into DAVE. I guess worse case scenario, you won't get sound with the 5.1 Dolby Toslink signal. Just make sure you turned the volume down first before trying it out.

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #7,919 of 26,005

Did you mean video delay option? the audio stream is the one lagging behind because of all the processing

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #7,920 of 26,005
Did you mean video delay option? the audio stream is the one lagging behind because of all the processing

On the Oppo BDP-103, the function is called A/V Sync. You can set by 10ms steps within a range of -100ms to +200ms. The manual says because of the additional video processing from the Oppo, there is already an automatic audio delay applied to optimize A/V sync. So if you set the system to a negative value, it would reduce the automatic audio delay. Whereas if you set the audio to a positive value, I presume it'll be the video that's delayed. If the HDMI IN option is used (which is what I use for my cable TV box), only positive adjustments are useable meaning that only video is delayed which is what you said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back