CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Mar 8, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #7,876 of 26,005

Hi, I’ve got another question about the DAVE.
As music server and streamer I use an Aurender W20, which as a special feature has a dualwiring output over AES / EBU. Since the DAVE operates in dual data mode via its BNC inputs, my question is whether it is possible to connect these two devices via a corresponding cable/adapter in dualwiring or are there problems due to the different wave impedance of AES / EBU (110 Ohm) and SPDIF (75 Ohm). In addition, would it be interesting to see whether this type of cabling is associated with a quality gain compared to singlewiring variants? 

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #7,877 of 26,005
Thinking of upgrade my power cable of Dave, any recommendation?

I am a fan of Audience Au24 series cables for their musicality but not the lesser models which deliver lower power for disc players and Dacs. Something is lost there and so I think full blown cable is the only one To go for. 'musicality' is what I am looking for from a power cable. If it doesnt excel in musicality then I don't care what else it does.

A significantly cheaper alternative worth auditioning imo is the Isotek Evo3 Optimum cable. I think it represents good value considering the cost of some cables.

Mar 8, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #7,878 of 26,005

High Fidelity Cables are pricey but excellent. They can be picked up for less money at Audiogon and their lower priced Reveal line of cables can be purchased new from HFC.

Mar 9, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #7,880 of 26,005
Just downloaded the latest TAS which contains a show report from CES. So far as I can tell, not a single mention of any Chord product. It's difficult to resist the inference that hi-fi politics is at play here. A great pity.

Mar 9, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #7,881 of 26,005
Just downloaded the latest TAS which contains a show report from CES. So far as I can tell, not a single mention of any Chord product. It's difficult to resist the inference that hi-fi politics is at play here. A great pity.

From what I recall Rob saying, none of the journalists at CES got to actually hear Blu Mk 2 + DAVE, which is a shame.  Since Hugo 2 was featured only with headphones in the Chord suite, it probably flew under TAS' radar.  Same thing with Poly.

Nonetheless, I agree with you.  Robert Harley's penchant towards Berkeley DACs has been evident for some time.  It's unclear to me if he's actually heard the Chord DAVE and I think that may be more the issue, I don't think many American journalists have spent quality time with the DAVE.  In Stereophile's Recommended DACs for 2016 (the 2017 list has not been published yet), for example, the Hugo TT made the list but DAVE did not.

Mar 10, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #7,882 of 26,005
It has to be politics because they only have to look at the specs of Dave over Hugo TT to know the outcome. They loved the TT as I recall.

Mar 10, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #7,883 of 26,005

From what I recall Rob saying, none of the journalists at CES got to actually hear Blu Mk 2 + DAVE, which is a shame.  

Really? Don't they have a pre-show period for journalists, or don't journalists listen with the rest of the public during the show? You'd have thought at least one journalist would want to listen to Chord's flagship product. Sounds might odd to me, especially at something like CES.

Mar 10, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #7,884 of 26,005

Really? Don't they have a pre-show period for journalists, or don't journalists listen with the rest of the public during the show? You'd have thought at least one journalist would want to listen to Chord's flagship product. Sounds might odd to me, especially at something like CES.

CES isn't really considered much of an "audio" show anymore. From what I've been reading, audio journalists are more focused on the Berlin show as the BIG show.

Mar 11, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #7,887 of 26,005
Kubala Sosna is very very good for interconnects; I owned them (about 10 years back though, top of the line). But Stealth Indra was clearly the best (and Sakra even a little better, but Indra provides the Stealth magic).
The Stealth just gets to the heart of the sound, with astonishing speed and precision with something just eerily real about them.

For Power cables, I have always liked Shunyatas as the best (for 17 years now).

I did a lot of A/B testing, and the Stealth/Shunyata cable combination seemed to create the best synergy.

Mar 11, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #7,888 of 26,005
sipping some woodford reserve my favorite bourbon and listening to U2 on my Utopia's and my Dave...I was supposed to go out tonight to a jazz club with my girlfriend but it is freezing here in NYC so my girlfriend persuaded me to stay in.....not a bad way to make up for missing the jazz

Mar 12, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #7,889 of 26,005
sipping some woodford reserve my favorite bourbon and listening to U2 on my Utopia's and my Dave...I was supposed to go out tonight to a jazz club with my girlfriend but it is freezing here in NYC so my girlfriend persuaded me to stay in.....not a bad way to make up for missing the jazz
So what are your impressions of the utopia with the Dave?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back