CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Mar 5, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #7,847 of 26,005
Well........my Dave is arriving next week ...in Silver as my amp and streamer are in silver.
USA folks can get a brand new one now for about the same price as a used one because of manufacturer Price decrease and exchange rate. Pm me if you want specifics.
Fully stoked......but right now missing my Yggdrasil which departed too hastily which is such a great DAC and bargain.
Larry

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #7,851 of 26,005
I live in Canada am saving up for a DAVE and hoping the declining USD retail price and group buys will drive the price down to near affordable levels soon. In Canada the selling price is full MSRP, non negotiable and there is nothing available used.

Yes, With the high price of goods, such as the Hugo2 is going to be; and with so many restrictions on the free market (purchasing downloads), I'm positively sick of being Canadian.

Mar 5, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #7,852 of 26,005
Have someone heard the very special SPL Phonitor 2 AMP combined with the DAVE yet, and how good is the magnifing and crossfeed / Delay functions ?

http://spl.info/fileadmin/user_upload/anleitungen/english/Phonitor2_BA_E.pdf

Mar 5, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #7,853 of 26,005
Have someone heard the very special SPL Phonitor 2 AMP combined with the DAVE yet, and how good is the magnifing and crossfeed / Delay functions ?

http://spl.info/fileadmin/user_upload/anleitungen/english/Phonitor2_BA_E.pdf

The original SPL Auditor was my headphone amp of choice for years. I would put it up against and SS amp I've ever heard, and without the bells and whistles of the crossfeed and meters on the front, the specs for the original Auditor is better than that of the Phonitor and Phonitor2. We're talking 150db of headroom.

But, no, I haven't tried the Phonitor2 with the DAVE, but I have heard the Auditor, and no... Just no. For the first time ever something beat out the Auditor's purity, and that was the DAVE's headphone input. Truthfully, I was shocked. The Auditor + DAVE combo sounded cloudy.

That's just one person's experience, though. With the Metrum Pavane the SPL Auditor was dreamy. Not with the DAVE. It just got in the way.

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #7,855 of 26,005
No and no.

And Dave 2 hasn't even been dreamed about - unless major essential parts become unavailable Dave 2 is many years away.

Rob 

Now that you've reached 1mil taps what other major essential parts might you be referring to? As far as your PSU for DAVE I wouldn't think there would be any major technological advances in the parts, themselves, since the magic is in your implementation. Would it be going beyond a 20e pulse array? I mean, globally, what's better than zero measurable noise floor modulation and THD of 0.000015 or 0.000007? Moreover, your WTA filters are your own controllable filters.

I guess I'm just wondering what more can the ear/brain hear. If we're now saying that we are shooting for a level to the point where we can no longer tell the difference between the instrument and the recording of the instrument we have now conquered beyond what a DAC can do, instead making sweeping changes in the world of microphonics. Since no microphone is an ear nor a brain, the true test doesn't seem attainable. Even if we could turn a mic into an ear, what does that say for the millions of recordings we currently have, which are mixes of different mics, effects, masters, remasters, et al?

Again, I'm just wondering what the human can perceive in sound, as well as what phsycial technology would be needed now that 1mil taps has been achieved.

Mar 7, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #7,856 of 26,005

No and no.

And Dave 2 hasn't even been dreamed about - unless major essential parts become unavailable Dave 2 is many years away.

Rob 

Now that you've reached 1mil taps what other major essential parts might you be referring to? As far as your PSU for DAVE I wouldn't think there would be any major technological advances in the parts, themselves, since the magic is in your implementation. Would it be going beyond a 20e pulse array? I mean, globally, what's better than zero measurable noise floor modulation and THD of 0.000015 or 0.000007? Moreover, your WTA filters are your own controllable filters.

I guess I'm just wondering what more can the ear/brain hear. If we're now saying that we are shooting for a level to the point where we can no longer tell the difference between the instrument and the recording of the instrument we have now conquered beyond what a DAC can do, instead making sweeping changes in the world of microphonics. Since no microphone is an ear nor a brain, the true test doesn't seem attainable. Even if we could turn a mic into an ear, what does that say for the millions of recordings we currently have, which are mixes of different mics, effects, masters, remasters, et al?

Again, I'm just wondering what the human can perceive in sound, as well as what phsycial technology would be needed now that 1mil taps has been achieved.

I would have never have predicted how much benefit that I would get from the M scaler, so it's impossible to say what other improvements are waiting to be discovered. But for sure the two huge elephants in the room are power amps and ADC converters that are used to make our recordings, and my focus is to drag these items up to Dave standards, as I am convinced huge benefits are to be had here.

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #7,857 of 26,005

No and no.

Rob

Now that you've reached 1mil taps what other major essential parts might you be referring to? .................

EVOLVIST, I think it is a 'watch his lips' moment. Rob is saying that Dave 2 is many years away UNLESS major essential parts become unavailable and so they will not be able to build Dave 1. I guess this eventuality is unlikely.

His later reply to you reinforces this by saying they have got other more important fish to fry (Davina and amplifiers) other than thinking about a Dave 2.

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #7,858 of 26,005

EVOLVIST, I think it is a 'watch his lips' moment. Rob is saying that Dave 2 is many years away UNLESS major essential parts become unavailable and so they will not be able to build Dave 1. I guess this eventuality is unlikely.

His later reply to you reinforces this by saying they have got other more important fish to fry (Davina and amplifiers) other than thinking about a Dave 2.

Right, I get that. Only I'm thinking a.) major essential parts becoming unavailable implies, to me, that essential parts for future technology are already in hand, otherwise we wouldn't have the Blu2, and b.) again, how much can the ear hear within the confines of the millions of recordings that we have right now?

I've said it myself, that the DAVE is the hub by which a lot of Chord's newest technology is based around. So, the conversation isn't really about a DAVE 2. I could care less about DAVE 2.

See, when the DAVE was released, it was already said by Chord that the BNC inputs, as well as the DX outputs were for future Chord products. This tells me that Chord, like any other product-based company, has a roadmap. With a roadmap, more often than not (for instance, I've seen many roadmaps from IT and software companies), it's not based upon wishful thinking; it is based upon technology that has already reached some stage of development, and it's only a matter of time (roadmap) before the product hits the streets.

Now, that doesn't mean that a roadmap isn't flexible, and that pleasant surprises can't happen a long the way (or even disasters); still, these IOs for the DAVE were planned for the Blu2 (and maybe to some degree the Davina) and a line of Class A "digital amps," depending on how many watts you need to drive your speakers. This is good forethought by a group of savvy businessmen.

To that end, though, it would take a lot to convince me that 1m taps was a happy accident. Yeah, sure I buy that Chord developers are often surprised by how good their product actually is. I mean, you can't hear the sonic benefits, or a lack thereof, until you actually build it. Nevertheless, again, like savvy businessmen, there's no way that Chord is going to show all of their cards on a message board. 1million taps was a reality in November 2016.

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #7,859 of 26,005
Addendum: I do want to say how much I am pleased with Chord, and I have never felt that they have been pushy toward their client-base. In fact, John and Rob have consistently gone out of their way to explain things, above and beyond what most providers do. So, I'm not in any way insinuating that the folks at Chord are pulling the wool. I merely think that they are letting us know what is in their best interest, as a business, to let us know.

Mar 7, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #7,860 of 26,005

Right, I get that. Only I'm thinking a.) major essential parts becoming unavailable implies, to me, that essential parts for future technology are already in hand, otherwise we wouldn't have the Blu2, and b.) again, how much can the ear hear within the confines of the millions of recordings that we have right now?

I've said it myself, that the DAVE is the hub by which a lot of Chord's newest technology is based around. So, the conversation isn't really about a DAVE 2. I could care less about DAVE 2.

See, when the DAVE was released, it was already said by Chord that the BNC inputs, as well as the DX outputs were for future Chord products. This tells me that Chord, like any other product-based company, has a roadmap. With a roadmap, more often than not (for instance, I've seen many roadmaps from IT and software companies), it's not based upon wishful thinking; it is based upon technology that has already reached some stage of development, and it's only a matter of time (roadmap) before the product hits the streets.

Now, that doesn't mean that a roadmap isn't flexible, and that pleasant surprises can't happen a long the way (or even disasters); still, these IOs for the DAVE were planned for the Blu2 (and maybe to some degree the Davina) and a line of Class A "digital amps," depending on how many watts you need to drive your speakers. This is good forethought by a group of savvy businessmen.

To that end, though, it would take a lot to convince me that 1m taps was a happy accident. Yeah, sure I buy that Chord developers are often surprised by how good their product actually is. I mean, you can't hear the sonic benefits, or a lack thereof, until you actually build it. Nevertheless, again, like savvy businessmen, there's no way that Chord is going to show all of their cards on a message board. 1million taps was a reality in November 2016.

Here is my question going forward.I own a Dave and absolutely love it...best investment I have made in this crazy obsessive hobby we all share.I am however in my 50's and recognize that hearing like everything else degrades over time...faster for those who abused it over the years but degrade it does for everyone....Lets assume that Blu 2 improves the performance of the dave by a couple of %.....actual real improvement to be sure but will I be able to perceive it and future marginal improvements as i age?....I ask this question in a generic way because we all face the same issues.Also,when comparing components that are all top of the line how much does the hearing prowess of individuals reviewing the products as well as consumers listening to them enter into the debate?...just food for thought..we can design cars that drive 250 MPH but what is the point if the speed limit is 65?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back