CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Nov 22, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #5,821 of 25,933
Hold your speculations guys! ☝️

This guy could be genuine, but most probably a Troll from another brand, who want us to start a debate and misbelieving.
He have only published 1 post ever @ HeadFi , this says alot to me, so back to where we were. :muscle_tone2::ok_hand::sunglasses:

Nov 23, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #5,822 of 25,933
Well Dave is unlike any digital source I have heard before, and that includes Mojo, Hugo and Hugo TT.... and some other well known brands which I won't mention.

Simply a different league.

It isn't that hard to understand why, after all, Rob Watts and Chord have custom created every part of the DAC, which includes a massive FPGA noise shaper which can resolve down to -350 DB signals, and also custom WTA filters which has 166,000 taps and a second order noise shaper for output stage, the performance of everything added together means music is presented as if one is listening to the live feed of mikes in the studio or other recording venue, with full transparency.

Nov 23, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #5,823 of 25,933
You know the more I listen to bad masterings through Dave the more I am convinced the vast majority are simply down to poor optical connectors having been used in the process rather than AES or Coax. Has anyone else noticed that tell tale glazed sheen on some bad masterings or is it just me?

Nov 23, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #5,824 of 25,933
You know the more I listen to bad masterings through Dave the more I am convinced the vast majority are simply down to poor optical connectors having been used in the process rather than AES or Coax. Has anyone else noticed that tell tale glazed sheen on some bad masterings or is it just me?
Too be honest with you Dave i think it's because they used Coax.As we all know life can be strange at times,i mean coax really is the worst way of connection between equipment,and yet the hi-fi industry still uses it today,totally strange.:fearful:

Nov 23, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #5,825 of 25,933
I'll take that as a windup :slight_smile:

Nov 23, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #5,827 of 25,933
I've got the Silver Complement4 on order for my HE1000 v1. I ordered it after seeing several favourable comments about the cable on this and other Head-fi threads. I'm currently using the Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 Premium cable with the HE1000 out of the DAVE, and most of the time it sounds great and a very clear and significant jump up from the stock cable. However, there are times (not that often) when it presents just a little too much energy for me; yes, it sounds just a little too bright on these ocassions. The DHC cable is reported not to have this brightness, but to be just as (if not more) detailed. I will find out for myself sometime in the New Year.

And that is why we are all waiting six months for our orders with DHC! I think my prion cables will never ship.  I'm told they will be done by Christmas, so fingers crossed.  I'm also waiting on DAVE which hasn't shipped yet although I was told three weeks when I ordered it.  On the other hand, if everything arrives before Christmas, I'm going to have some great presents for myself!!

Nov 27, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #5,829 of 25,933
Following up on some earlier recommendations for the Wireworld Silver Electra 7 power cord, I've currently got on loan a one meter length of this cord to try out with the DAVE (they didn't have the one and a half meter I asked for, and I now think I probably need two meters).  It was new out of its case but I've managed to give it about 50 hours run-in.  Straight out of the case, my first impression listening with the HE1000 v.1 (Silver Dragon) and the Utopia was that the sound was more detailed, cleaner and much much brighter (far too bright).  The Silver Dragon on my HE1000 and using the LPS-1 powered microRendu already hinted at a little brightness in my system but the Silver Electra took it right over the edge.  Fifty hours in and some of that brightness has gone but some still remains.  I wonder, could I expect to hear much difference with a longer length of cord and/or with a Furutech plug (the cord I have has a standard UK 3-pin plug)?  Thanks.

Nov 28, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #5,831 of 25,933
Hi everyone.  Just picked up my Dave (black color looks gorgeous) on Saturday.  Everything seems fine except that it will occasionally detect wrong sampling frequency.  This usually happens when I switch from DSD+ to PCM+ or vice versa.  For example, when I change from DSD+ to PCM+ when playing music in 44.1kHz format, Dave may display 88Khz and output some strange sound.  I will have to stop and restart Audirvana+ for Dave to re-detect the sample frequency.  In most case, this solves the problem but sometimes, I have to stop and restart the music 2 or 3 times in order for Dave to detect the correct sample frequency.  On rare occasions, even music was played for the first time after it was switched on, Dave may detect the wrong sampling frequency, and I will have to stop and restart the track with Audirvana+ for Dave to re-detect the correct sample frequency.

I am using iMac to Dave with Audioquest Diamond USB Cable, and then, direct to Utopia.  Power cable is stock.  In the past, Hugo TT was used in the same way as the Dave and no such problem ever arised.

Has anyone experienced this before?  Should I be concerned?

Nov 28, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #5,833 of 25,933
Hi everyone.  Just picked up my Dave (black color looks gorgeous) on Saturday.  Everything seems fine except that it will occasionally detect wrong sampling frequency.  This usually happens when I switch from DSD+ to PCM+ or vice versa.  For example, when I change from DSD+ to PCM+ when playing music in 44.1kHz format, Dave may display 88Khz and output some strange sound.  I will have to stop and restart Audirvana+ for Dave to re-detect the sample frequency.  In most case, this solves the problem but sometimes, I have to stop and restart the music 2 or 3 times in order for Dave to detect the correct sample frequency.  On rare occasions, even music was played for the first time after it was switched on, Dave may detect the wrong sampling frequency, and I will have to stop and restart the track with Audirvana+ for Dave to re-detect the correct sample frequency.

I am using iMac to Dave with Audioquest Diamond USB Cable, and then, direct to Utopia.  Power cable is stock.  In the past, Hugo TT was used in the same way as the Dave and no such problem ever arised.

I had exactly the same problem when I had a home demo of Dave. I too use OS X and audirvana. Another issue I had was when using headphones and switched Dave off a loud click/pop occurred through the headphones, so loud I thought I'm pleased I was not wearing those headphones when I switched off. I thought the click/pop was so loud it could have damaged my ears and headphones.

I've mentioned this before but Dave, like all chord dacs, when using OS X it's not possible to select sample rate bit depth in audio midi setup at operating system level, only a single bit depth of 32 bits can be sent to the dac. This forces the player such as audirvana or iTunes to convert the data if you are not playing a 32 bit file. Alll my files are 16 bit so iTunes or audirvana will always convert to 32 bit before sending the data to the dac. Therefore I can never send a bit perfect file to the dac.

If I use a naim dac I can select the bit depth I want to send to the dac in OS X audio midi setup.

Nov 28, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #5,834 of 25,933
Halloweenman and Sabena, I don't know about Audirvana but using Pure Music with iTunes bypasses audio midi.  The files are sent to the DAC at native frequencies as stored in iTunes, switching between different sources without any user intervention.  I would expect that Pure Music is not the only player to do this, of course.  I am just mentioning it because it is the one I use.  I have tested the bit-perfect files successfully with my Weiss DAC, which has a test for this, and presume it is the same with the Chord TT.  Cheers

Nov 28, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #5,835 of 25,933

No - but you need to be aware that when switching from PCM+ to DSD+ and using USB the app driving the USB needs to be closed down, as the USB device is reset, and sometimes the app does not pick this reset up and it goes into an unstable state. So simply shut your media player down, change mode, restart your player.  

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back