CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Nov 21, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #5,807 of 26,005
" I put the SPDIF protocol through the AES "

What source did you use here?

I was using a Logitech Transporter at the time and it can send either AES/EBU protocol or S/PDIF protocol through its AES output. Normally the AES protocol through the AES "balanced" interface is far superior in my experience to the single ended S/PDIF. But DAVE saw it differently in the early days of its operational life, at least.

GG

Nov 21, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #5,808 of 26,005
I sure wish I didnt hear the difference with the Dave...I had the Yiggy which i sold for the TT which i sold for the Dave and if only I didnt hear a difference or enjoy the Dave immensely my wallet would be quite a bit fatter

Nov 21, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #5,809 of 26,005
Surely this must be the kings new clothes syndrome!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766517/chord-electronics-dave/5400#post_12967527

Yes they do sound - again IMHO - great out of the box. If you are not knocked out on first listen, its either Dave is not to your taste (some like artificial softness, some like hard etched sounds) or your system is flawed.

Eight times out of ten, plugging Dave in just sounds glorious - cavernous sound-stage and I say to myself "Dave has entered the building". One time out of ten I need to seriously tweak or change the system to get Dave to sing. But one time in ten it just sounds terribly flat and un-emotional and there is nothing that can be done; Dave isn't magic, it can't cure a fundamentally ill system.

Nov 22, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #5,810 of 26,005
That is a very brave statement. When I listened to Dave I heard it's cavernous soundstage, and heard a huge difference with my humble TT. I think I got it. Dave sound was very much to my taste but the soundstaging didn't seem right. The only thing I can blame is either my room acoustics or Dave. The soundstage from Dave sounded disjointed compared to TT, especially around the vocal. My room acoustics are not ideal but I don't think they are terrible. I do have very good speakers which will render a soundstage much better than most.

Nov 22, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #5,811 of 26,005
When I heard Dave, it was with a Naim amplifier (172/250.2) and Dynaudio speakers (C2), Dave sounded amazing to me, no issues with soundstage at all. Anna Nalicks song Breathe (2am) was presented with her voice right in the centre of the speakers, just as it is supposed to be. 

Sorry Halloween man, something is wrong in your set up, but it isn't the Dave 
biggrin.gif

Nov 22, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #5,812 of 26,005
C2 are no match for the mighty ATC mid driver. It might well be my room. The vocals were centred but it was like an effect\processing was applied so everything sounded disjointed or unrealistic in the space, best I can describe is like watching 3d TV at home - just doesn't look right. If Rob's statement is true then my room is the likely culprit but why did I not detect this with TT?

Btw I don't like artificial softness or a hard etched sound.

Nov 22, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #5,813 of 26,005
How much did you pay for the DHC Silver Complement4 cable and how did you decide on that particular cable for the HEK? I am concerned about silver cables for the HEK which is already a detailed and bright sounding headphone.

Nov 22, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #5,814 of 26,005
I don't have the Silver Complement 4 cable but I have to say that my new HEKV2 performs very well with my Prion4 (non-spore). Running them with the Dave and the 430HA. Probably the most disappointing thing is that the new HEKV2 cables sound amazing and I actually prefer them to the Prion4 with certain music. More interestingly, the Prion4 sounds better out of the Dave directly than out of the 430HA.

Nov 22, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #5,815 of 26,005
How much did you pay for the DHC Silver Complement4 cable and how did you decide on that particular cable for the HEK? I am concerned about silver cables for the HEK which is already a detailed and bright sounding headphone.

I've got the Silver Complement4 on order for my HE1000 v1. I ordered it after seeing several favourable comments about the cable on this and other Head-fi threads. I'm currently using the Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 Premium cable with the HE1000 out of the DAVE, and most of the time it sounds great and a very clear and significant jump up from the stock cable. However, there are times (not that often) when it presents just a little too much energy for me; yes, it sounds just a little too bright on these ocassions. The DHC cable is reported not to have this brightness, but to be just as (if not more) detailed. I will find out for myself sometime in the New Year.

Nov 22, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #5,818 of 26,005
A big thank you to @TSAVJason at The Source A/V for placing my order for the DAVE!

I have finally read enough reviews, commentaries, and diatribes on DAVE to know that this was the future of headphone listening as we know it and placed my order.  I can safely say that after thoroughly enjoying both the Hugo and Hugo TT, this should end the quest for any DAC in the foreseeable future as the laws of diminishing returns are in full effect.  I simply can't wait for it to arrive in the upcoming weeks and attempt to aurally comprehend how it can it any better than what I'm currently listening to with the Utopia / Hugo TT combination.

I just want to say thank you to The Source A/V for such a personalized buying experience and sharing your audio journey through the years with me.  Jason believes we are entering a headphone renaissance and the best may be yet to come.  Thankfully, I will get to enjoy all the DAVE has to offer before the next landmark Chord product is announced.
wink.gif

Nov 22, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #5,819 of 26,005
When I first heard the DAVE I was not blown away at all, and I even said so in these very pages. In fact, I had some of my iFi gear with me and my SPL Auditor, and after 3 hours of comparing I proclaimed that the iFi gear was just about as good as the DAVE.

I know it sounds kooky, but here's the kicker: something must have been amiss with how this dealer has his DAVE plugged in. I could only imagine that he had one of those super fantastic "audiophile" power conditioners that just sucked the life out of it.

So, I auditioned the DAVE at my home about 3 weeks later, and upon first listen, this was a totally different DAC. I then got a bunch of other big names DACs into my home at the same time, and it's just that simple: the DAVE won out as the best DAC I had ever heard.

Now that I have my mRendu feeding the DAVE, it's even better. I'm very glad I didn't dismiss the DAVE at first blush.

Nov 22, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #5,820 of 26,005
I've got the Silver Complement4 on order for my HE1000 v1. I ordered it after seeing several favourable comments about the cable on this and other Head-fi threads. I'm currently using the Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 Premium cable with the HE1000 out of the DAVE, and most of the time it sounds great and a very clear and significant jump up from the stock cable. However, there are times (not that often) when it presents just a little too much energy for me; yes, it sounds just a little too bright on these ocassions. The DHC cable is reported not to have this brightness, but to be just as (if not more) detailed. I will find out for myself sometime in the New Year.

Please let us know what your impressions are after you have some time listening to the new cable. You still never mentioned what you paid for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back