CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
May 19, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #61 of 26,005

I can't help noticing discussion here questioning Dave's price, mostly due to the rather limited perspective of what it is most precisely capable of...
Instead perhaps more questions should be asked.

It only takes a brief moment to peruse its extraordinary specifications, which suggest that is not merely 'another FPGA dac with volume control' in more ways than may presently be imagined.
Likewise neither it is a simple update of the QBD76 HDSD :

Chord DAVE DAC Specification:
  1. Inputs:
  2. USB B-style 44 kHz to 768 kHz
  3. DXD and Quad DSD
  4. 2x optical 44kHz to 192kHz
  5. 1 x AES 44kHz to 192kHz
  6. 4 x Coax 44kHz to 384kHz
  7. Dual-data mode available
  8. Outputs digital:
  9. 2x ultra-high-speed coax 768kHz dual-data mode (for use with future-unannounced Chord Electronics products)
  10. Maximum output voltage: 6 volts RMS
  11. THD and noise at 2.5 volts: RMS 0.000015 %
  12. THD and noise at 2.5 volts: 127dBA Awt (124dBA into 33 ohms)
  13. Dynamic range at -60 dBFS 1kHz -127 dBA A wt
  14. (No measurable noise floor modulation, no a harmonic distortion)
  15. (Analogue distortion characteristic: no distortion for small signals)
  16. Power requirements: mains power 80 volts to 260 volts; AC 20 watts

Whose side are you on??
Processing power has become incredibly cheap in recent years. 
And Chord isn't the only company that produces a FPGA based DAC.
The design is less then convincing ….
I will be looking elsewhere!

May 19, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #62 of 26,005

I can't help noticing discussion here questioning Dave's price, mostly due to the rather limited perspective of what it is most precisely capable of...
Instead perhaps more questions should be asked.

It only takes a brief moment to peruse its extraordinary specifications, which suggest that is not merely 'another FPGA dac with volume control' in more ways than may presently be imagined.
Likewise neither it is a simple update of the QBD76 HDSD :

Chord DAVE DAC
 Specification:

1. Inputs:
  2. USB B-style 44 kHz to 768 kHz
  3. DXD and Quad DSD
  4. 2x optical 44kHz to 192kHz
  5. 1 x AES 44kHz to 192kHz
  6. 4 x Coax 44kHz to 384kHz
  7. Dual-data mode available
  8. Outputs digital:
  9. 2x ultra-high-speed coax 768kHz dual-data mode (for use with future-unannounced Chord Electronics products)
  10. Maximum output voltage: 6 volts RMS
  11. THD and noise at 2.5 volts: RMS 0.000015 %
  12. THD and noise at 2.5 volts: 127dBA Awt (124dBA into 33 ohms)
  13. Dynamic range at -60 dBFS 1kHz -127 dBA A wt
  14. (No measurable noise floor modulation, no a harmonic distortion)
  15. (Analogue distortion characteristic: no distortion for small signals)
  16. Power requirements: mains power 80 volts to 260 volts; AC 20 watts

Whose side are you on??

Please post on that thread what you bought and think about that.

May 19, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #64 of 26,005
Thank you! 
smile.gif

May 19, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #65 of 26,005
Whose side are you on??

As a matter of interest - in what ways do you find the design less than convincing. I am certainly impressed by the 8x increase in the number of Taps over the Hugo. The number of Taps in the Hugo being a determining factor in how good it sounds.

May 19, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #66 of 26,005
As a matter of interest - in what ways do you find the design less than convincing. I am certainly impressed by the 8x increase in the number of Taps over the Hugo. The number of Taps in the Hugo being a determining factor in how good it sounds.

Itś a new world record out side a labartory, so it is going to sound amazing i can promise, but how good is the question, itś not eight times better sound than the Hugo, but maybe 30% better i every aspect is my estimation.

May 19, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #67 of 26,005
Itś a new world record out side a labartory, so it is going to sound amazing i can promise, but how good is the question, itś not eight times better sound than the Hugo, but maybe 30% better i every aspect is my estimation.

30 % is huge in audio. If it is that high then that is extremely impressive. 

May 19, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #69 of 26,005
I really don't get all the complaints about the price. Berkeley Audio's Reference DAC is supposedly one of the world's best if you believe reviews in the Absolute Sound and on the Computer Audiophile website. It also sells for 16000 USD. The MSB Analog DAC starts at at 6995 USD but, with upgrades, easily begins to reach and easily exceed Dave's listed price. And then there's the Gryphon Kalliope at 26000 USD and the dcs DACs which cost multiple times the listed price for Dave.

On top of that, consider Meridian's MQA which is supposed to bring amazing timing resolution to digital audio. Of course, to achieve it you need to find your favorite music available as an MQA file, buy your music once again in a different format and also upgrade your software (and hardware?) to be able to playback MQA. In the meantime, Dave advertises improved timing for your entire existing library.

I've yet to experience Dave but my expectations are definitely running high. While not inexpensive, I can't imagine that it doesn't represent good value for those who can afford it.

Esau

May 19, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #70 of 26,005
I really don't get all the complaints about the price. Berkeley Audio's Reference DAC is supposedly one of the world's best if you believe reviews in the Absolute Sound and on the Computer Audiophile website. It also sells for 16000 USD. The MSB Analog DAC starts at at 6995 USD but, with upgrades, easily begins to reach and easily exceed Dave's listed price. And then there's the Gryphon Kalliope at 26000 USD and the dcs DACs which cost multiple times the listed price for Dave.

On top of that, consider Meridian's MQA which is supposed to bring amazing timing resolution to digital audio. Of course, to achieve it you need to find your favorite music available as an MQA file, buy your music once again in a different format and also upgrade your software (and hardware?) to be able to playback MQA. In the meantime, Dave advertises improved timing for your entire existing library.

I've yet to experience Dave but my expectations are definitely running high. While not inexpensive, I can't imagine that it doesn't represent good value for those who can afford it.

Esau

I love my QBD. But how do you know DAVE represents good value without comparing it against Berkeley Reference or Gryphon Kalliope, or maybe Lampi Big 7/ Golden Gate.

And for the gentleman who "predicts" DAVE is 30% better than QBD, how do you and what ruler do you use to come up with such a number? Is it because DAVE is 60% more expensive than the QBD76HDSD?

May 20, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #71 of 26,005
The QBD76HDSD is £5k, so DAVE (Digital Audio Very Expensive) is 60% more expensive than the QBD76HDSD at £8k; I hoped it would come out at no more than £6k, which is twice the Hugo TT's price, which again is twice the Hugo's price. Chord can charge whatever it wants for its products, but @ £8k it will be out of reach for many.

May 20, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #72 of 26,005
re-posted & amended from Hugo thread in reply to price, (link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/10665).

err small point if I may, but there are other considerations before you make unfair assumptions on how much profit is being made (I don't work for Chord btw)... firstly when a product leaves the UK it is subject to export taxes & duties, in Europe we have VAT the UK rate is 20% of the product retail price. Then you have to factor in the Distributor & Dealer networks, you can betcha they have kids to feed so will want to earn something for selling the products.

Now my personal take on things is that 'Dave' is a upgrade on the QBD and offers a lot more besides, it's a DAC>Pre-Amp & Headphone-Amp... I bet the likes of the other manufacturers mentioned never had this kerfuffle when they released their products, perhaps JF should put his staff on zero-hours minimum wage contracts with a food-bank subsidy voucher as a bonus, that should bring the price down a bit.

May 20, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #74 of 26,005
re-posted & amended from Hugo thread in reply to price, (link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/10665).

err small point if I may, but there are other considerations before you make unfair assumptions on how much profit is being made (I don't work for Chord btw)... firstly when a product leaves the UK it is subject to export taxes & duties, in Europe we have VAT the UK rate is 20% of the product retail price. Then you have to factor in the Distributor & Dealer networks, you can betcha they have kids to feed so will want to earn something for selling the products.

Now my personal take on things is that 'Dave' is a upgrade on the QBD and offers a lot more besides, it's a DAC>Pre-Amp & Headphone-Amp... I bet the likes of the other manufacturers mentioned never had this kerfuffle when they released their products, perhaps JF should put his staff on zero-hours minimum wage contracts with a food-bank subsidy voucher as a bonus, that should bring the price down a bit.
Are you sure you don't work for Chord?All people are saying to chord is £8000 is a bit to much.

May 20, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #75 of 26,005
Are you sure you don't work for Chord?All people are saying to chord is £8000 is a bit to much.

I'm positive I 'do not' work for Chord, I can swear on the bible if'n you want... all I'm saying is that there are associated cost when bringing a product to the market, at the end of the day if you can afford 'DAVE' and you want it chances are you'll buy it, if you can't scrape the pennies together you won't and you'll be like me, yearning... hope that clears up any confusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back