CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
May 16, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #31 of 25,832
  Offer finished at midnight
biggrin.gif

that's typically selfish of you to inform us after the event, Spurs fans huh...
confused_face.gif

btw, thanks for the heads-up on that Fleetwood Mac cd-album at £3.00, notice if you bought the inferior mp3 by tracks it would cost almost £17... I suppose I could redeem you but respect is always based on your last call, which happened to be Jaffa Cakes.

link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000002NHG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

May 17, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #32 of 25,832
There's been a great deal of negativity about the pricing of Dave.I find this strange given that no one knows how it sounds.If it's a bit better than Hugo,then it is overpriced,but,if as I assume,it's revelatory,it's priced accordingly.My perception of Chord over the years is that they make top notch products which come at a price,the Hugo was pretty much the first "affordable" product from the Chord stable.I quite fancy a Porsche Targa,there's no way I can afford one,but I'm certainly not going to moan about it's price.

May 17, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #33 of 25,832

.My perception of Chord over the years is that they make top notch products which come at a price,the Hugo was pretty much the first "affordable" product from the Chord stable.I quite fancy a Porsche Targa,there's no way I can afford one,but I'm certainly not going to moan about it's price.

can't agree more, for years I have been salivating over Chord products especially the RED-Reference CD-Player but never had any real hope of owning one, now I have a Hugo and it's a joy... I might get to listen to Dave in the future but that'll be about it in this household, sadly...
popcorn.gif

May 17, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #34 of 25,832
If Rob ever reads this, I'd like his opinion about the volume control aspect around the Hugo and Dave, and how he thinks it can integrate the best in a speaker system.

I own a chord pre-amp and chord monoblocks, and was wondering if with the design methodology on the Chord Dave whether I should remove the pre-amp and just connect the Dave directly to the monoblocks - even when the pre-amp is something good like the Chord CPA-5000.

May 17, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #35 of 25,832
Im not Rob, but if you dont need more inputs, then i should consider to go direct to the monoblocks for the most straight signal path, and it is not the best to have two volume controls either.

Alternativ 2. Is to set the DAVE in Line out mode with a fixed 2,2 volt output and go trough your fine Pre-Amp.

May 17, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #36 of 25,832
There's been a great deal of negativity about the pricing of Dave.I find this strange given that no one knows how it sounds.If it's a bit better than Hugo,then it is overpriced,but,if as I assume,it's revelatory,it's priced accordingly.My perception of Chord over the years is that they make top notch products which come at a price,the Hugo was pretty much the first "affordable" product from the Chord stable.I quite fancy a Porsche Targa,there's no way I can afford one,but I'm certainly not going to moan about it's price.
Chord are just greedy like so many other hi-fi companys with their so called top end I'm sure DAVE will sound better than the Hugo,by how much,who knows,of course it's up to chord and other hi-fi companys how much they sell their products for,But i ask you,Do you really think a Dac is worth £8000?Do you really think that all the bits that come in that Dac or any other Dac cost anywhere near that amount of money?let me put this another way,You can buy a top of range oled 4k tv for around £3500.Now i love music and I'm willing to pay a fair and reasonable amount of money so i can get the most out of it.What i mean by reasonable money for top end hi-fi is around the £5000 mark.Now it's not for me to tell anybody how to spend their money,But ask yourself this.Are you being ripped off?

May 17, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #37 of 25,832
Chord are just greedy like so many other hi-fi companys with their so called top end I'm sure DAVE will sound better than the Hugo,by how much,who knows,of course it's up to chord and other hi-fi companys how much they sell their products for,But i ask you,Do you really think a Dac is worth £8000?Do you really think that all the bits that come in that Dac or any other Dac cost anywhere near that amount of money?let me put this another way,You can buy a top of range oled 4k tv for around £3500.Now i love music and I'm willing to pay a fair and reasonable amount of money so i can get the most out of it.What i mean by reasonable money for top end hi-fi is around the £5000 mark.Now it's not for me to tell anybody how to spend their money,But ask yourself this.Are you being ripped off?

I would still be inclined to wait and read what the reviews are like re Dave.I doubt that Chord expect to sell anything like the same amount of Daves as Hugos,that must have some influence on their pricing.My biggest worry about buying a Dave would be making a £1600 donation to the UK taxman!!

May 17, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #38 of 25,832
Why are you spamming every thread with the same rhetoric. I want a ferrari, can't afford a ferrari but do not complain about the price. With the best will there are definitely customers that want and can buy the top end

May 17, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #40 of 25,832
I'd say you were selfish in implying no one should be able to attain something you personally don't see the value in. It's quite the myopic view. The Hugo is already so good that it's enough for most which also means the Dave will not sell as well even if a clear upgrade which I suspect it is. New more expensive hardware along with R&D/code for not nearly as many made to amortize those costs means it will cost significantly more. We don't know about rejection rates etc as well. Just a bunch of unfounded assumptions on something you have no experience with. I just heard a $90k analog preamp and it completely smoked a few 20-$30k preamps without embellishment of the signal. There's a whole other world out there and it's a very happy place. It's a great place to visit but if you don't like it, just stay home and stop pissing in my Cheerios.

May 17, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #41 of 25,832
  If Rob ever reads this, I'd like his opinion about the volume control aspect around the Hugo and Dave, and how he thinks it can integrate the best in a speaker system.

Rob follows & contributes to all the Chord threads, he's at the Munich Show at present but normally manages to reply.

I don't do 'technical' but I do know that DAVE is a DAC>Pre-Amp and can be used as a Headphone amp... Rob will be along at some point to do the technical thingies, hth.

ps... in other news, I prefers milk on me Cheerios...
tongue_smile.gif

May 17, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #42 of 25,832
Im not Rob, but if you dont need more inputs, then i should consider to go direct to the monoblocks for the most straight signal path, and it is not the best to have two volume controls either.

Alternativ 2. Is to set the DAVE in Line out mode with a fixed 2,2 volt output and go trough your fine Pre-Amp.

Thanks, I agree with the theory but just curious about the concept as this is the first time I've seen a volume control built into the DAC in this manner as I see in the Hugo. Usually most DACs are better off with a dedicated pre-amp, but I'm not sure here.

In either case, I will get a Chord DAVE to test out when it's released in my country to find out. The Chord CPA-5000 pre-amp costs more than the DAVE and I only use it for one DAC.. if I can remove a component and get a purer sound, all the better.

May 17, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #43 of 25,832
Thanks, I agree with the theory but just curious about the concept as this is the first time I've seen a volume control built into the DAC in this manner as I see in the Hugo. Usually most DACs are better off with a dedicated pre-amp, but I'm not sure here.

In either case, I will get a Chord DAVE to test out when it's released in my country to find out. The Chord CPA-5000 pre-amp costs more than the DAVE and I only use it for one DAC.. if I can remove a component and get a purer sound, all the better.

The DAVE pre amp working in the digital domain, so i cant see how your CPA-5000 can puch the SQ even further than DAVE outputs, its more if the CPA-5000 have a SQ colorisation signature, but i don't think so, so you can sell it, if you dont like to look at it unplugged. =)

PS

What country are you from?

May 17, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #44 of 25,832
Don't get the fuss. You know you want Dave. I do. I'll be calling Canada's distributor in the fall and give folks a review. I'm sure in ten twenty years things will be cheaper for better, but last I looked, I only live once.

May 17, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #45 of 25,832

I own a chord pre-amp and chord monoblocks, and was wondering if with the design methodology on the Chord Dave whether I should remove the pre-amp and just connect the Dave directly to the monoblocks - even when the pre-amp is something good like the Chord CPA-5000.

The Dave (more precisely project xxxx) has been announced as «digital preamp and headphone amp», so it will replace any existing preamp. The more so as – like with the Hugo – the signal from its DAC is sent to the line out which is at the same time preamp output and headphone amp (at least as I understand it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back