CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jun 1, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #14,641 of 25,896
Amazing that cleaning up the signal from electrical noise, re-forming the data wave and better timing it makes such a difference.
It is amazing but true. I recently auditioned a dCS Network Bridge in front of my MScaler/TT2. The improvement was immediate and obvious. To my ears it sounds like some (most?) of the improvement is related to the reclocking done by the dCS unit.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #14,642 of 25,896
gnomen
Its hard to choose another to recommend as a starter now that I have heard Verdi Requiem by Giulini! :)

What may be worthwhile though is to start where I started.

I fell in love with this piece when I heard the opening bars of the first movement (Solti 1967). The subtle first murmurings of the choir created a sense of a deeply moving spectacle. When I listen to a requiem I try to imagine I am standing in the church whilst the coffin of the said composer is carried in. This great man has died and I am there to show my respect. This must be hugely moving in the opening movement I think to be a stand-out requiem. It sets the scene after all. I think Solti nailed that opening movement and from there I was smitten by this Requiem. After that I tried many others and came to conclude that Karajan (as so often is the case) created a more consistent and complete rendition of the whole but as I said recently Giulini provided me with yet more emotion and an acoustic which is easier to feel engaged in the event I think.

Hope this helps

Jun 1, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #14,643 of 25,896
Mine has a single strand of dust and is relatively new inside the display also. I found this quite shocking. Looking forward to suggestions as well.

Take the glass off and use a tin of air to blow away any dust or hair particles, also avoid touching the glass as you may get finger prints on it and that will annoy you more than a dust particle.

Jun 1, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #14,644 of 25,896
I've recently changed my USB cable feeding the M Scaler/Dave combo. Never ceases to amaze me how a USB cable can change the sound of a system.

I previously used the Danacable TruStream USB. What the new FTA Callisto 0.8 mtr USB brings to my system is the following:
Improved Timbre/Tone, More believable and natural dynamics, more weight in the lower mids, more weight in the lower bass (almost like I have added a very subtle subwoofer to the mix), improved flow and musicality, much more natural high's (less edgy particularly when using Synergistic Research HFT's on my speakers), Less shouty sound, more organic and natural presentation ................ I guess more like real music.
I got my Final Touch Audio Callisto USB earlier today and I find your impressions spot on.

Jun 2, 2020 at 2:36 AM Post #14,646 of 25,896
Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 11.24.03 PM.png

https://open.qobuz.com/track/91194659

Tripped over this on Qobuz and was blown away by how it great it sounds on M Scaler + DAVE. It's François Couperin's Les Barricades Mystérieuses (The Mysterious Barricades) arranged for harpsichord and archlute (yeah, had to google that). A remarkable performance and great audio engineering.

Amazing to think this was composed for harpsichord in 1717—it has the modern sensibility of Fleetwood Mac or Wyndham Hill.

Or on YouTube in lower res:

The inside-baroque joke is that it's a Rondeau played by Rondeau :)

Cheers,
muski

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #14,647 of 25,896
I know, right? Amazing that cleaning up the signal from electrical noise, re-forming the data wave and better timing it makes such a difference. However some solutions are just priced ridiculously high for what they do. Law of diminishing returns is at play by manufacturers saying our product is only marginally slightly better so we'll charge triple the next best solution in our market segment. And unfortunately for my wallet, I have paid some of those manufacturers those ridiculous prices and have not regretted it.

Regards
GG

Well I was more saying, I find it hard to believe that re-clockers could affect Chord DACs.

However I am not disputing you or others because you have the hardware and I do not. Therefor I can't possibly know.

Rob Watts position is that Chord DACs re-clock incoming signals, making them immune to jitter. Apparently the clock Chord they use is very finely timed, so should provide excellent results. … The only other input that I have on this subject however is the example of the DCS DACs. The DCS Rossini is generally viewed with the DCS Master Clock. That Master Clock is an entire unit on its own. Suggesting that a truly accurate clock, is not a small matter, unless they used a full size case for easy stacking. Possibly though, putting the clocks in Chord DACs under scrutiny. Chord clocks obviously do an excellent job though, as the proof is in the pudding.

Also I think that the Rossini will have its own clock, and the Master Clock is an add-on. (Unless they are sold together.) I noticed on the back of the Bartok, there is a clock input. Therefore suggesting that all their DACs are upgradable with a better clock.

Someone else suggested a streamer to me also, which is clock accurate, as well as having good noise suppression. The Stack Audio Link. (Noise is obviously an aspect to be dealt with.) However the effect of that streamer was in review said to have outstanding results on attached DACs. (See below link and quote for details.) Bear in mind that the Stack Audio Link, will only have a physically small clock (like Chord's), because the whole unit is not big.

https://www.hifiplus.com/articles/exclusive-stack-audio-link-usb-streaming-bridge/

Quote:
There was something so alluring about the Stack Audio Link/ Dragonfly Cobalt combination it kind of shatters your perspective of how much you need to spend to best it in open combat. I’d happily put this little duo up against a good £2,000-£3,000 DAC and/or streamer combination.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #14,651 of 25,896
everyone speaks about the headphone output of thje DAVE, is it comparable with Hugo 2 as amplifier power?

The official specs:

Hugo₂....................... ............DAVE
0094 mW at 300 Ω..........0154 mW at 300 Ω
0740 mW at 033 Ω..........1400 mW at 033 Ω
1050 mW at 008 Ω..... ....2900 mW at 008 Ω (estimated)

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #14,654 of 25,896
The official specs:

Hugo₂....................... ............DAVE
0094 mW at 300 Ω..........0154 mW at 300 Ω
0740 mW at 033 Ω..........1400 mW at 033 Ω
1050 mW at 008 Ω..... ....2900 mW at 008 Ω (estimated)
OK - so for 300 ohm headphones like the ZMF dynamics for example the DAVE would be sufficiant as I understand. Do you guys but USB reclockers like the Phoenix also before the Mscaler - DAVE?

Jun 4, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #14,655 of 25,896
I never felt the need for a reclocker, but have bought Wave Storm Cables after the M Scaler/RFI talk on Head-Fi. They turned out to be a serious upgrade. However, I could perfectly live with the stock cables the two years before, so they're just an option, not a necessity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back