CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jun 4, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #14,656 of 25,832
Any users using HQPlayer with Audiowise SRC-DX? Would you share your experience or point me to any links on the thread. I searched for them but couldn't find any.

Thanks!

I only did a comparison of HQPlayer against Dave with and without mscaler. I do not have the SRC-DX.

To sum up if preferred the Dave even without the mscaler to HQPlayer. I thought Dave had a better warmer tone. When compared with mscaler, the Dave has much better texture compared to HQPlayer. How much the SRC-DX can improve HQPlayer, I don’t know.

Jun 4, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #14,657 of 25,832
I never felt the need for a reclocker, but have bought Wave Storm Cables after the M Scaler/RFI talk on Head-Fi. They turned out to be a serious upgrade. However, I could perfectly live with the stock cables the two years before, so they're just an option, not a necessity.

I did, it made a big difference to my ears... I guess it will be streaming source dependent, but everything is definitely not 'sorted out' by Dave's internal clock

Jun 5, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #14,662 of 25,832
Yep, I found them after I posted... the search function isn't my friend yet :head_bandage:

I think you'll find, with a bit of practice, that the Search function on this site actually works rather well :)

To labour my point in a more general sense for everyone (because it bugs me): The HMS and DAVE threads are very, very long. Really, really long. There are more posts here than there are particles in the universe (well, almost). There are more posts here than there are taps in Rob's m-scaler (well, almost). Sadly, many of the posts are not very useful in retrospect, but that's forum life, so we have to put up with it.

But it doesn't help when, say, someone posts something like "hey what do you all think of DAVE's HF filter?" when that has been asked and answered a hundred times before. The people who have answered before don't really want to start from the beginning, so you may not get a great response. Much better to do a bit of searching first to enable you to raise a more constructive point about the HF filter that moves the conversation forwards.

Jun 5, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #14,663 of 25,832
Hi. I'm getting a DAVE in next week sometime. I'm looking for a best value in a power cable upgrade around $500. I prefer a resolving, airy, and transparent sound rather than warm and thick, but still smooth and liquid as I can find in my price range.

I was looking at the Vovox Excelsus (previously Textura) based on Jay Luong's power cable shootout on Audio Bacon. However, the more I look into that cable I think it may be too warm and not best suited for digital components.

I'm hoping to find a cable like it though that punches well above its price point.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #14,664 of 25,832
Hi. I'm getting a DAVE in next week sometime. I'm looking for the best value in a power cable upgrade around $500. I prefer a resolving, airy, and transparent sound rather than warm and thick, but still smooth as liquid as I can find in my price range.

I was looking at the Vovos Excelsus (previously Textura) based on Jay Luong's power cable shootout on Audio Bacon. However, the more I look into that cable I think it may be too warm and not best suited for digital components.

I'm hoping to find a cable like it though that punches well above its price point.

Thanks!

I made mine using … https://www.mcru.co.uk/product/nanotec-power-strada-309-mains-cable/ (available in the US via Jaguar Audio Designs)
Select the connectors of your choice and you'll have something pretty good (in my opinion)

Jun 5, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #14,665 of 25,832
Hi. I'm getting a DAVE in next week sometime. I'm looking for a best value in a power cable upgrade around $500. I prefer a resolving, airy, and transparent sound rather than warm and thick, but still smooth and liquid as I can find in my price range.

I was looking at the Vovox Excelsus (previously Textura) based on Jay Luong's power cable shootout on Audio Bacon. However, the more I look into that cable I think it may be too warm and not best suited for digital components.

Thanks!
Synergistic Blue power cable will fit your taste.

I have six of them.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/l...-the-art-power-cord-for-a-down-to-e-ac-cables

They also have 30 day's return policy.

Jun 5, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #14,666 of 25,832

Thanks!
I would check on the used market. I was not sure if power cables made a difference, so I started with Silnote $99.00 Power Cables. After I heard a marked difference; I got three different models of Shunyata Power Cables and am more than happy.

Jun 5, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #14,667 of 25,832
I would check on the used market. I was not sure if power cables made a difference, so I started with Silnote $99.00 Power Cables. After I heard a marked difference; I got three different models of Shunyata Power Cables and am more than happy.

Thanks, Shunyata has established quite a name in the power cable industry. However, I heard that they are more on the warm, romantic side. Is that right? I also avoid anything that is too alert and edgy, but I'm looking for high resolution and crystalline highs along with smoothness.

Jun 5, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #14,668 of 25,832
OK - so for 300 ohm headphones like the ZMF dynamics for example the DAVE would be sufficiant as I understand. Do you guys but USB reclockers like the Phoenix also before the Mscaler - DAVE?

It's not about impedance so much as it's more about sensitivity (dB per mW) and both can drive 300 ohm headphones without issue.

Jun 5, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #14,670 of 25,832
Thanks, Shunyata has established quite a name in the power cable industry. However, I heard that they are more on the warm, romantic side. Is that right? I also avoid anything that is too alert and edgy, but I'm looking for high resolution and crystalline highs along with smoothness.
http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/revequip/shunyata_python_helix_followup.htm

This one can be had well under your budget and is I believe the one they may suit your needs. With your attitude, I now know why they say romance is dead!

You just want to get straight down to business....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back