CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
May 28, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #14,626 of 25,884
Christer I agree the Karajan performance is class and as a complete performance it was my favourite until I purchased this Giulini version (Solti particularly hit the mark in laying the mood in the opening movement but Karajan is more complete as a whole performance imo).

Just listened to the 'Dies irae' and I honestly have not heard any breakup in SQ (if that's what you meant). Certain musicians lose momentum without a doubt but for me it does not detract. Also I agree about the preference for large auditorium acoustic. It sits very well and the positional choice for miking was very well chosen imo.

Overall I think whoever did the 2020 remaster has done an impressive job. I see Parlophone Records Ltd were responsible for this remaster so it may have been an Abbey Road remaster like the 2014 remaster of Callas - Carmen 1964 which is as transparent a classical mastering job as I have ever heard.

May 29, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #14,628 of 25,884
Hi All, my DAVE has some dust particles on the display inside. Any easy fix for that?

May 29, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #14,629 of 25,884
Hi All, my DAVE has some dust particles on the display inside. Any easy fix for that?
Mine has a single strand of dust and is relatively new inside the display also. I found this quite shocking. Looking forward to suggestions as well.

May 29, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #14,630 of 25,884
Mine has a single strand of dust and is relatively new inside the display also. I found this quite shocking. Looking forward to suggestions as well.

Simply remove the glass by undoing the bolts. Clean using something similar to cleaning camera lenses, ie lint free.

May 29, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #14,632 of 25,884
Do the bolts have nuts?

No, they screw into the casing so there is nothing to drop off or get lost if that is what you are thnking. Also no washers. All you need is an allen key. They will not be too tight to loosen and tightish is tight enough when doing them up again!

May 30, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #14,635 of 25,884
May 30, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #14,636 of 25,884
Nick (and others),

I addressed this question (sensitivity to clock quality, holding PSU constant), and many others, in my recent review of the PhoenixUSB at https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/review-innuos-phoenixusb-reclocker-r906/
Another great review, Rajiv. So Spaghetti wins that round, but strong case for Phoenix. An interesting second round for another day (for those with a clean slate) would be spaghetti vs Statement (1.4.4) with upgraded power umbilicals.

May 30, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #14,637 of 25,884
May 31, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #14,639 of 25,884
I don't understand how reclockers could improve DACs like Chord which clock the samples.

I know, right? Amazing that cleaning up the signal from electrical noise, re-forming the data wave and better timing it makes such a difference. However some solutions are just priced ridiculously high for what they do. Law of diminishing returns is at play by manufacturers saying our product is only marginally slightly better so we'll charge triple the next best solution in our market segment. And unfortunately for my wallet, I have paid some of those manufacturers those ridiculous prices and have not regretted it.

Regards
GG

Jun 1, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #14,640 of 25,884
Anyway I own very many versions of Verdi's Requiem but to my surprise and delight last week I came across a new rendition by Carlo Maria Giulini Warner Classics in 96/24. I say 'new' but it was originally recorded April 1962. (An EMI recording I believe).

I think the musicians can be heard to lose momentum in a couple of places but it doesn't detract from the atmosphere created for me at least. This performance has all the emotion of Solti's opening movement which I have high regard for. It elevates to the gods. Absolutely beautiful.

EDIT: The version I bought was remastered and released in 2020
https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/verdi-messa-da-requiem-carlo-maria-giulini/rorvi74i26lta
Yes. Big shout out for Giulini. His star was fading when I started buying classical music and I have little by him. Last year I purchased his version of Beethoven's Missa Solemnis after it was the recommedation on BBC's Record Review. Giulini's version beat out very strong contention from mid-century maestros like Karajan to modern interpreters like Gardiner and Harnoncourt. I own six or seven versions of the Missa and agree his version is the best.

I did notice there is some highly impressive competition in the Requiem too. Seems like everyone of note in the last 70 years has recorded their version, with stellar casts. Would you recommend the Giulini as the starting point for newcomers to this work ... or another among the many versions you own?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back