CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Apr 16, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #14,311 of 25,909
you will likely want a good high quality amp if you use the abyss TC or Susvara or LCD-4 for that matter

Apr 16, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #14,312 of 25,909
you will likely want a good high quality amp if you use the abyss TC or Susvara or LCD-4 for that matter
Thank you. Right now I'm using my Dave as a preamp. How do you hook up your Dave to a headphone amp and a power amp? I wish the Dave had fixed outputs for a headphone amp, and variable outputs for a power amp. But it seems I have to choose fixed or variable output for both amps.

Apr 16, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #14,313 of 25,909
Deleted.

Apr 16, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #14,314 of 25,909
Guys, question for you. Right now I have the Focal Utopias, which are fantastic, but I think they may be a little polite for my tastes. Does my Dave/M Scaler combo have enough power to run the Abyss Phi TC directly, or is a headphone amp necessary? I'm hoping I can get away with switching headphones (to Abyss or something else) rather than adding an amp and headphones.

Thanks in advance.

It's not your Focal Utopias, DAVE alone and Focal Utopias are sublime. It is a "problem" that you can hear with the transparent utopias that there is a problem in the Mscaler/DAVE hookup that I have experienced and prevented me from buying an Mscaler. So rather than throw out the baby with the bathwater, try spending money on the Mscaler/DAVE interaction to be less polite and more transparent as it should be.

Regards
GG

Apr 16, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #14,315 of 25,909
Thank you. Right now I'm using my Dave as a preamp. How do you hook up your Dave to a headphone amp and a power amp? I wish the Dave had fixed outputs for a headphone amp, and variable outputs for a power amp. But it seems I have to choose fixed or variable output for both amps.

I have my formula s/powerman connected to my dave via the RCA out

Apr 17, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #14,316 of 25,909
So to Triode, I did test the cross feed on Dave and it does show up as zero as expected. Just to confirm this is off correct.

Apr 17, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #14,317 of 25,909
Guys, question for you. Right now I have the Focal Utopias, which are fantastic, but I think they may be a little polite for my tastes. Does my Dave/M Scaler combo have enough power to run the Abyss Phi TC directly, or is a headphone amp necessary? I'm hoping I can get away with switching headphones (to Abyss or something else) rather than adding an amp and headphones.

Thanks in advance.

i ran my TCs direct from Dave/MSc for quite a while before I added a Formula S/Powerman and was quite happy. Once in a while I switch back and am not disappointed. It still sounds mighty fine.

Apr 17, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #14,318 of 25,909
So to Triode, I did test the cross feed on Dave and it does show up as zero as expected. Just to confirm this is off correct.

I guess my winnings from the bet are in the post already?? :relaxed: :relaxed: :relaxed: :relaxed: :relaxed: :relaxed: :relaxed: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :relaxed: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apr 18, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #14,320 of 25,909
Hi, two stupid questions.
Dave jas 6.35 or 3.5 mm. jack?
It is possible to connect android phone via otg adapter?
Thank you

Apr 18, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #14,321 of 25,909
Hi, two stupid questions.
Dave jas 6.35 or 3.5 mm. jack?
It is possible to connect android phone via otg adapter?
Thank you

Dave has a 6.3 mm headphone jack

It should be possible. I connect my Samsung S7 to Mojo with an OTG adapter. The only problem is that Android audio up-scales all audio irrespective of the original sample sample rate to 192 kHz 24. Unfortunately this can't be turned off. It isn't very transparent, and smooths the sound and reduces dynamics. I purchased an app, USB Audio Player Pro. This can be configured to output bit perfect native sample rate. USB Audio Player Pro also supports Qobuz for streamed content. Offline Qobuz content is not supported.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #14,322 of 25,909
Dave has a 6.3 mm headphone jack

It should be possible. I connect my Samsung S7 to Mojo with an OTG adapter. The only problem is that Android audio up-scales all audio irrespective of the original sample sample rate to 192 kHz 24. Unfortunately this can't be turned off. It isn't very transparent, and smooths the sound and reduces dynamics. I purchased an app, USB Audio Player Pro. This can be configured to output bit perfect native sample rate. USB Audio Player Pro also supports Qobuz for streamed content. Offline Qobuz content is not supported.
thank you. about android i have usb audio player pro on my lg, therefore i also use the player in bit perfect mode

Apr 19, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #14,323 of 25,909
Just finally had a chance to listen to my new Dave with 100+ hours and it was a strange in the middle with one day sounding amazing 60 hours via headphones but then with my 2.0 setup sounded very bad. Then a 20 hours later 80 it was reversed 2.0 setup amazing and headphones sounding bad.. But now at the 100+ hour mark everything is perfect and I am extremely happy with it. I've owned and sold many DAC's and I always thought certain songs had problems in the recording or I just screwed up the converting tell the Dave. The Dave just chews through the music as it was made to do and the songs I thought had problems nope I assume my previous DAC's just could not process the music to it's full potential like the Dave.

Apr 19, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #14,324 of 25,909

How hard to drive is the Abyss TC compared to the LCD-4? I can easily drive my LCD-4 (200 Ohm drivers) out of the Dave - the headphone output level is usually around -20dB and I don't find it lacking in anything, including bass slam. I guess I don't listen that loud, so wondering if I could also drive the Abyss directly out of Dave.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back