CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Apr 12, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #14,281 of 25,885
If anyone is is in NYC, has a Dave, and wants to hear a SR1a (I sold my Utopia after hearing), I am trying to do an A/B test of my Qutest vs a Dave. I have an Mscaler too. I might be able to get my friend to bring a Pavane as well, which really impressed me on first listen (see @Torq review)
Just got my SR1a JOTR SYSTEM. Waited a few days for the COVID to die. Now I want to hook it up to my CHORD DAVE HMS. Can anyone tell
me how to connect the two to avoid clipping with the preamp feeding the DAVE? Is volume on JOTR on highest or lowest level with volume control through DAVE remote? Thanks

Apr 12, 2020 at 10:40 PM Post #14,282 of 25,885
Just got my SR1a JOTR SYSTEM. Waited a few days for the COVID to die. Now I want to hook it up to my CHORD DAVE HMS. Can anyone tell
me how to connect the two to avoid clipping with the preamp feeding the DAVE? Is volume on JOTR on highest or lowest level with volume control through DAVE remote? Thanks
Looking at the regular Schiit Jotunheim specs, their built-in DACs would output at 2V. So it’s reasonable to assume that Schiit Jotunheim can handle a 2V input from DAVE. DAVE at -7dB would be about 2V. However, HMS would lower the volume digitally by 2.6dB? (can’t remember the exact value). So you should be able to probably listen to HMS+DAVE at about -4dB (or maybe -5dB) without clipping for sure. You should probably connect DAVE to JOTR via RCA, rather than XLR for lowest SNR from DAVE.

The bigger issue with JOTR is that any analog volume control will have an optimal point where you get the best linearity, most equal left-right balance, optimal SNR. So in an ideal world, what you really want to do is set the JOTR to that optimal analog volume setting and then adjust the digital volume of DAVE instead, provided the DAVE is not clipping the JOTR.

Anyway, that’s the theory. I don’t have JOTR. Either way, I don’t think you can go wrong.

Apr 12, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #14,283 of 25,885
I use the dave/blu2 with my formula s/powerman and set the dave to 0 for the susvara and to -4 for the abyss TC so I no reason this should be any different or difficult

Apr 13, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #14,284 of 25,885
Looking at the regular Schiit Jotunheim specs, their built-in DACs would output at 2V. So it’s reasonable to assume that Schiit Jotunheim can handle a 2V input from DAVE. DAVE at -7dB would be about 2V. However, HMS would lower the volume digitally by 2.6dB? (can’t remember the exact value). So you should be able to probably listen to HMS+DAVE at about -4dB (or maybe -5dB) without clipping for sure. You should probably connect DAVE to JOTR via RCA, rather than XLR for lowest SNR from DAVE.

The bigger issue with JOTR is that any analog volume control will have an optimal point where you get the best linearity, most equal left-right balance, optimal SNR. So in an ideal world, what you really want to do is set the JOTR to that optimal analog volume setting and then adjust the digital volume of DAVE instead, provided the DAVE is not clipping the JOTR.

Anyway, that’s the theory. I don’t have JOTR. Either way, I don’t think you can go wrong.
Does anyone feel that the brand/quality/cost of RCA cables to DAVE will change perceived SQ? Any recommendations?

Apr 13, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #14,285 of 25,885
Does anyone feel that the brand/quality/cost of RCA cables to DAVE will change perceived SQ? Any recommendations?

I can’t say about RCA cables but to my ears cables do make a difference but expensive is not always best. I connect my Dave to the amp with XLR and I use Belden 8760 Equivalent cable. This is a pro install shielded twisted pair and sounds as good as anything else I have heard (I have heard very many including several that cost thousands). These ones cost about £20 UKP for a pair.

Apr 13, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #14,286 of 25,885
IMHO as good as dave is by itself, and I had it before I got my blu2, the combo with the blu2 is head and shoulders better but requires to live with it and experience the subtleties..at this level of performance and price all improvements are incremental
I find that the BLU2 > dave -> blue hawaii -> stax 007 sounds better with the blu2 than without the blu2
I also find that dave > Utopia is better without the blu2 than with it in the chain

I think I prefer the utpia/dave to the blu2/dave/bluehawaii/stax combo but my blue hawaii is off for repairs so i cant compare them at this time

it may be more complicated than it appears

JRF

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #14,287 of 25,885
I can’t say about RCA cables but to my ears cables do make a difference but expensive is not always best. I connect my Dave to the amp with XLR and I use Belden 8760 Equivalent cable. This is a pro install shielded twisted pair and sounds as good as anything else I have heard (I have heard very many including several that cost thousands). These ones cost about £20 UKP for a pair.
Is XLR better than RCA and why?

Apr 13, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #14,288 of 25,885
@Triode User has already provided an answer, but I would like to take this opportunity to extend the ethos of his comment.
Nick already has several years experience with eliminating RFI for cables carrying the digital signals.
The question of the best cables for carrying the analogue signals does get occasionally raised on the chord threads, and in the wider terms of RCA, headphones, speakers, because each case will be susceptible to RFI.
Each time, some owners swear blind that the more expensive a cable (or brand) the better, whereas others swear blind that cheaper cables perform much the same.
I think that Nick is right to point out that some cheaper cables can be just as effective.
The key to understanding why, becomes the interesting knowledge, because it will help explain why brand A works well for some owners, and brand B works well for other owners.
@Rob Watts does post occasionally about cables, and it becomes clear after reading a few of them, that owners need to understand the 'design ethos' of cables before throwing thousands of dollars at a favoured brand, then experiencing disappointment.
The design ethos includes:
  • Include a shield that is not connected at either end - designed to dissipate RFI as heat within the shield
  • Include a shield that is connected to ground/earth at one or both ends - designed to remove RFI to earth. Maybe not the best solution if a system is completely non-earthed. You are probably just shunting RFI into the ground plane of your electronics.
  • Use widely spaced conductors, so as to reduce the impact of crosstalk between conductors - the approach used by one manufacturer of recommended speaker cables.
  • etc
So there is not one cable design ethos that is the best for all Chord owners. They need to think a bit deeper about how they have set-up their own system, especially with regard to earthing etc. This is bad news for anyone focused solely on the Apple 'just plug it in and it will work' philosophy.

I hope that this does not contradict Nick, but when owners buy DAVE and similar, I believe it is worth the time to step back and consider their overall audio system, rather than buying a brand/design of cable that 'destroys' what they have just spend a lot of money buying.
:relaxed:

Apr 13, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #14,289 of 25,885
Is XLR better than RCA and why?

in a domestic environment there is no particular need for xlr because it is designed as a noise cancelling configuration for (very) long cable runs. However my amps are configured in a fully balanced manner so xlr is optimum for them. Rob Watts recommends the RCA output from Dave be used if possible because of the way that the balanced signal is generated in the Dave and so the RCA output from Dave is best for sound quality.

Apr 13, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #14,290 of 25,885
in a domestic environment there is no particular need for xlr because it is designed as a noise cancelling configuration for (very) long cable runs. However my amps are configured in a fully balanced manner so xlr is optimum for them. Rob Watts recommends the RCA output from Dave be used if possible because of the way that the balanced signal is generated in the Dave and so the RCA output from Dave is best for sound quality.
Thanks for that info. What are the most cost-effect options for quality RCA cables for best SQ??

Apr 15, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #14,291 of 25,885
What do you guys set your DAVE settings of:

1. HF Fil (On or Off)
2. Phase (Positive or Negative?)

Anyone kind enough to explain what they each do?

The online manual does not explain these settings nor does the quick start guide.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #14,292 of 25,885
Ok so I knew that this will come.
I started to think about switching from M scaled TT2 to solo Dave. My dealer offered my pretty good trade in option.
I read some opinions here and on audiobacon site.
Don't get me wrong I love my current rig when we talk about sound.
My main reason is that I want it to keep as simple as possible. I'm a bit 'OCD' about having a lot of cables hanging around, which is happening with m scaled tt2.
Space on/around my desk is limited.

So, any other thoughts on such change ? I'm sure in the future when I change my place I'll have a lot more space so m scaler (to dave) will be a matter of time.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #14,293 of 25,885
What do you guys set your DAVE settings of:

1. HF Fil (On or Off)
2. Phase (Positive or Negative?)

Anyone kind enough to explain what they each do?

The online manual does not explain these settings nor does the quick start guide.

I have HF Filter ON, Positive Phase (I use these settings on solo Dave as well as when linked to Mscaler).

Some claim they prefer Positive Phase for some recordings and Negative Phase for others but I'm blowed if I'm going to change settings when listening to different albums.

Apr 15, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #14,295 of 25,885
I just received my SR1a and JOT-R amp and before connecting to my DAVE HMS set up wanted to make sure the advice below is correct to avoid damage any component in the chain. I assume the RCA cables go from the JOT-R input to the DAVE RCA outputs on either side of the XLR outputs?? Also, right now I have XLR outputs connected to my high efficiency speakers. The XLR out is active to the speakers when there is nothing plugged into the headphone jack in the front. But if I leave in the XLR cables to the speakers and have the JOT-R amp connected to the RCA outputs, when nothing is plugged into the headphone jack, do I have to unplug the speakers from the XLR outputs every time I listen to the SR1a???? Which DAVE analog output is active when both XLR and RCA are plugged in and headphone jack not used???

See below....

“With the Jotunheim R, if your DAC (or whatever source) has variable output, you can bypass the attenuation and use it simply as your “power” amp too. Simply turning the volume ALL the way up effectively turns the pot into straight wire.

DO make SURE your source has variable output, and that it is turned down, before doing this!

“Note that the Jotunheim R will be outputting exactly the same amount of power for the same output SPL regardless of whether you use its built-in volume control, or turn it all the way up and use your source for volume control. So no concerns about “running the amp flat out” or some such.”

Thanks for any advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back