CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Mar 13, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #14,176 of 26,000
It doesn't matter as I am sure the DAVE is amazing already, just one of those annoying things when you grab new gear and suddenly better new gear comes out when you paid TOTL pricing already.

Mar 14, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #14,177 of 26,000
no upcoming dave2 its official. nothing to worry about.

Mar 14, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #14,178 of 26,000
No as in DAVE 2 will not be coming out soon?

Rob Watts has confirmed on here not long ago that it is not even on his to do list.

Mar 14, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #14,179 of 26,000
Hi guys, need some advice on driving speakers directly with Dave. I demoed the Cube Audio Nenuphars by hooking them up straight to Dave's RCA outs. It sounded amazing and it looks like it can go loud enough. I'm just not sure though how far you can push Dave's volume given that the speakers are 6 Ohm? Does the same rule of thumb of you being able to go up to +3dB still apply? For what it's worth, I didn't dare to go higher than -7dB and it was definitely adequate (also in the low bass region!), even for a very quiet classical recording. I'd just like to know how far you can go, what the risks are and what signs you need to look out for.

@romaz, @ray-dude: I hope you don't mind I tag you in this post, since you both have posted on this subject before.

Mar 14, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #14,180 of 26,000
Hi guys, need some advice on driving speakers directly with Dave. I demoed the Cube Audio Nenuphars by hooking them up straight to Dave's RCA outs. It sounded amazing and it looks like it can go loud enough. I'm just not sure though how far you can push Dave's volume given that the speakers are 6 Ohm? Does the same rule of thumb of you being able to go up to +3dB still apply? For what it's worth, I didn't dare to go higher than -7dB and it was definitely adequate (also in the low bass region!), even for a very quiet classical recording. I'd just like to know how far you can go, what the risks are and what signs you need to look out for.

@romaz, @ray-dude: I hope you don't mind I tag you in this post, since you both have posted on this subject before.

I have gone upto +8dB with Blu2 connected and playing DSD; +5dB with PCM but I like to listen loud.

G

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #14,181 of 26,000
I find it surprising Rob is not working on a successor. The level of following for Dave is immense for a HIFI component of this price bracket. Even if Chord did a mark two with separate redesigned power supply and chassis, better shielding, tweaked filters I would be am immediate buyer and I am sure I would not be alone. You don’t have to change the tap length if it doesn’t improve things. Fujifilm for instance just released the 4th edition of their flagship crop camera line the XT3 and didn’t even change the sensor. They are still backed up on orders and that is not Coronavirus related.

I think not releasing a Dave II after 5 years is a missed commercial opportunity tbh. Still nobody could accuse Chord of being money-grabbing :wink:

Mar 14, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #14,182 of 26,000
I find it surprising Rob is not working on a successor. The level of following for Dave is immense for a HIFI component of this price bracket. Even if Chord did a mark two with separate redesigned power supply and chassis, better shielding, tweaked filters I would be am immediate buyer and I am sure I would not be alone. You don’t have to change the tap length if it doesn’t improve things. Fujifilm for instance just released the 4th edition of their flagship crop camera line the XT3 and didn’t even change the sensor. They are still backed up on orders and that is not Coronavirus related.

I think not releasing a Dave II after 5 years is a missed commercial opportunity tbh. Still nobody could accuse Chord of being money-grabbing :wink:
If anyone needs more taps, then they can already add them by using Blue2 or MScaler, so no need to create a DAVE2 from a taps point of view.
That largely only leaves the 20 element sound shaper or output power that chord could update - but if you do that, then you essentially have a digital power amp.
Perhaps there will never be a Dave2, but a digital amp instead - but chord consistently post that they are several years away.
I think Rob is being honest with posters, but some owners do not want to believe him.

Mar 14, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #14,183 of 26,000

Pretty easy to just call it MARK or ANDRE or something. Get ready to be blindsided. Apply for those credit cards now.

Mar 14, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #14,184 of 26,000
I think not releasing a Dave II after 5 years is a missed commercial opportunity tbh

But non of us knows what Rob is working on instead of Dave2 and whatever it is must be more important so probably the best thing is to stand by to be excited rather than wishing for Dave2?

Mar 14, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #14,185 of 26,000
I would love to know what Rob is working on right now. Whatever it is I am sure it will be exciting.

Mar 14, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #14,186 of 26,000

You do have a point – but I'm glad that there's no successor on the horizon. Who needs something better than DAVE + M Scaler!? So we can spend our money for music and save for our old age. Or look for the latest and greatest headphones. Or buy better cables.

Mar 14, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #14,187 of 26,000
There is a very good reason to combine all the separate elements (DAC+MSCALER) in a single, practical chassis, ideally with the addition of a quality streamer onboard. This would simply make it a very elegant, hi-end audio system, instead of having 3 separate boxes plus all the associated cables, very messy solution.

Mar 14, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #14,188 of 26,000
There is a very good reason to combine all the separate elements (DAC+MSCALER) in a single, practical chassis, ideally with the addition of a quality streamer onboard. This would simply make it a very elegant, hi-end audio system, instead of having 3 separate boxes plus all the associated cables, very messy solution.

According to Rob Watts, for the time being there are practical reasons why Mscaler and DAC cannot be in the same box.

From a user point of view it would also make incremental upgrading much harder, eg for those that may have TT2 + Mscaler and would like to keep the Mscaler but upgrade to a Dave DAC.

Mar 14, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #14,189 of 26,000
According to Rob Watts, for the time being there are practical reasons why Mscaler and DAC cannot be in the same box.

From a user point of view it would also make incremental upgrading much harder, eg for those that may have TT2 + Mscaler and would like to keep the Mscaler but upgrade to a Dave DAC.

On the other hand the combined dream Dac could:
- Drop WTA filtering to 768 kHz from the dave fpga and instead do better 768 kHz to 104 Mhz upsampling and noise shaping using the free fpga resources.
- Use a non standard interface between the internal components avoiding issues like rfi e.g. Optical. You could also let the msc part send 1.5 mhz instead of 768 kHz.
- Fix issues in the dave like the balanced output, making it possible to drive balanced headphones. Dream would to have both balanced and non balanced headphone outputs on the front.
-Use a proper full size box with a display you can see from the listening seat.
-Nice would also to have hdmi input so you can get full resolution audio and dsd from a blu-ray player.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #14,190 of 26,000
Rob has said there won’t be another Dave until there is a new FPGA released. He can’t do anything more. One can assume once there is the Dave might have the mscaler built in and the power output equal or better than the Hugo TT2. Maybe he’d try doubling the pulse array to 40 since having 20 seems to make a big difference over the TT2 according to Rob.

Also predicting that he’d release a Choral line of mscaler with at least 2 million taps, if it shows further improvement. All this would still depend on the new FPGA released.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back