CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Mar 11, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #14,161 of 25,921
I am tempted by the Stream Box Ultra - it would make my system neater. It would need to be rock solid to be worth it - how have you found it with Roon? Any other issues?
Hi Andrew
If you are considering the Project Streambox, I suggest you seriously consider the Stack Audio Link. https://stackaudio.co.uk/link
Same circuit designer as the Project, but he has added a few refinements including a better clock and additional power filtering. Along with a few other tweaks like a cast aluminium case and shock absorbing feet etc. (See the Beekhuyzen channel review). I have been auditioning one and it is very good. Rock solid in terms of transmission. No dropouts. Smooth and refined.
In my case the competition for the audition is provided by a dCS Network Bridge. The dCS is 5x the price, of course, and in a different league. It gives a really noticeable SQ uplift in my system. I would say, more than the Mscaler itself did. And, it opens up the soundscape to show what the Mscaler can really do, so I am getting full value from the HMS investment as well.
I'm no audio engineer, but the only way I can think a streamer makes such a large contribution is by controlling jitter in the bitstream, so re-clocking is really important, just as in a high end CD player.
In my tests I am already using Nick's excellent Wave cables, so I doubt that RFI control is a major factor. (There was no hint of RFI edginess with the Stack Link either). The combination of the dCS and the Wave cables is producing the best sound I have ever heard in my own sitting room -- a full, rich 3-D effect, like being at a concert.
But here's the rub: for that money I could move up from the TT2 to a Dave instead. Decisions, decisions. If I decided to place my big investment elsewhere in the chain than the streamer, the Stack Link would be my choice.
These findings are only for my system, in my house, with my electricity supply, and my ears. Just hope it helps your decision making.
Robert

PS using Roon only. Did not look at the software that came with the boxes other than to enable Roon Endpoint function

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #14,162 of 25,921
Hi Andrew
If you are considering the Project Streambox, I suggest you seriously consider the Stack Audio Link. https://stackaudio.co.uk/link
Same circuit designer as the Project, but he has added a few refinements including a better clock and additional power filtering. Along with a few other tweaks like a cast aluminium case and shock absorbing feet etc. (See the Beekhuyzen channel review). I have been auditioning one and it is very good. Rock solid in terms of transmission. No dropouts. Smooth and refined.
In my case the competition for the audition is provided by a dCS Network Bridge. The dCS is 5x the price, of course, and in a different league. It gives a really noticeable SQ uplift in my system. I would say, more than the Mscaler itself did. And, it opens up the soundscape to show what the Mscaler can really do, so I am getting full value from the HMS investment as well.
I'm no audio engineer, but the only way I can think a streamer makes such a large contribution is by controlling jitter in the bitstream, so re-clocking is really important, just as in a high end CD player.
In my tests I am already using Nick's excellent Wave cables, so I doubt that RFI control is a major factor. (There was no hint of RFI edginess with the Stack Link either). The combination of the dCS and the Wave cables is producing the best sound I have ever heard in my own sitting room -- a full, rich 3-D effect, like being at a concert.
But here's the rub: for that money I could move up from the TT2 to a Dave instead. Decisions, decisions. If I decided to place my big investment elsewhere in the chain than the streamer, the Stack Link would be my choice.
These findings are only for my system, in my house, with my electricity supply, and my ears. Just hope it helps your decision making.
Robert

PS using Roon only. Did not look at the software that came with the boxes other than to enable Roon Endpoint function
Which power supply are you using with the stack audio link when comparing to the dcs?

Mar 11, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #14,165 of 25,921
Please share with me why I should consider the DAVE.
I am not opposed to spending on items that will prove their worth, but what about this device that justifies the $12k price? I am genuinely curious.

Mar 11, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #14,166 of 25,921
I think best bet is to go demo yourself if possible. There is an overwhelmingly amount of positive reviews for it though. That is partially why I threw in my hat. I tried to stay away for the longest time, a good product is a good product.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #14,168 of 25,921
I’m a new Dave owner. Went from the Hugo, to Hugo 2, to Dave within a year. Tried all three with the Focal Utopia. I’d say the jump from the Hugo to the Hugo 2 is as big as it is from Hugo 2 to the Dave.

The Dave just creates this real sense of space. It was almost too much for me to take the first day I had it. I needed a moment to adjust. It’s just that the separation, layering, textures, and space were so transparent especially with the Utopia, I almost felt overwhelmed. I gave Radiohead’s Kid A a try just to see what it could do.

Now that I’ve had it for a week, I’m not overwhelmed by it and trying all these different songs to see what it can do. I’m just relaxing and enjoying full albums again but can still tell instantly where the improvements are.

I haven’t heard with mscaler yet but I did give HQPlayer a listen just to see what it could do. I didn’t like it since it changed the tone from Dave’s slightly warm tone to a cold tone and vocals didn’t sound as airy. I’m going to assume this doesn’t represent how the real mscaler makes it sound.

Mar 13, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #14,169 of 25,921
I’m a new Dave owner. Went from the Hugo, to Hugo 2, to Dave within a year. Tried all three with the Focal Utopia. I’d say the jump from the Hugo to the Hugo 2 is as big as it is from Hugo 2 to the Dave.

The Dave just creates this real sense of space. It was almost too much for me to take the first day I had it. I needed a moment to adjust. It’s just that the separation, layering, textures, and space were so transparent especially with the Utopia, I almost felt overwhelmed. I gave Radiohead’s Kid A a try just to see what it could do.

Now that I’ve had it for a week, I’m not overwhelmed by it and trying all these different songs to see what it can do. I’m just relaxing and enjoying full albums again but can still tell instantly where the improvements are.

I haven’t heard with mscaler yet but I did give HQPlayer a listen just to see what it could do. I didn’t like it since it changed the tone from Dave’s slightly warm tone to a cold tone and vocals didn’t sound as airy. I’m going to assume this doesn’t represent how the real mscaler makes it sound.
You are, sort of, where I was nine months ago. I have not heard the HQPlayer, so cannot comment. Enjoy you DAVE! And if you do venture to a Mscaler do try to hear it RFI managed - because the Msclaer/DAVE combination with RFI tamed is quite amazing.[/QUOTE]

Mar 13, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #14,170 of 25,921
Oh I take back what I said about being overwhelmed. Just checking out Qobuz’s new releases and listening to Deap Lips. Collaboration between Deap Vally and Flaming Lips. When the crazy distorted chorus kicks in, my head spins. All sounds surround you. It’s a good kind of overwhelming. It’s sort of the feeling of someone sneaking up on you. The sounds jump out at you.

Mar 13, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #14,171 of 25,921
Oh I take back what I said about being overwhelmed. Just checking out Qobuz’s new releases and listening to Deap Lips. Collaboration between Deap Vally and Flaming Lips. When the crazy distorted chorus kicks in, my head spins. All sounds surround you. It’s a good kind of overwhelming. It’s sort of the feeling of someone sneaking up on you. The sounds jump out at you.
Oh yeah specially with the Utopia‘s they are kinda of in your face at times. When I went to demo I brought my Utopia and Meze Empyrean’s so I can listen and still get the detail just in a more polite way I highly recommend them for this music. And more surprisingly you will be able to go higher volumes without any fatigue.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #14,172 of 25,921
anyone using oppo pm1 with dave?

Mar 13, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #14,173 of 25,921
Little worried about the DAVE 2 possibly coming out soon as many have said it already has been 5 years since it came out, I just bought the DAVE recent so... a little worried. 1st world problems.

Mar 13, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #14,175 of 25,921
No as in DAVE 2 will not be coming out soon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back