CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Mar 6, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #14,146 of 25,896
Well, it took 2 trips to the post office and now I finally have the Dave with me. And boy does it perform! The Dave is many magnitudes more musical than my previous Blu mk2 + hugoTT2 setup. I am really enjoying the headphone out as well, it drives my auteur, elear and LCD-3 wonderfully.

Mar 6, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #14,147 of 25,896
Well, it took 2 trips to the post office and now I finally have the Dave with me. And boy does it perform! The Dave is many magnitudes more musical than my previous Blu mk2 + hugoTT2 setup. I am really enjoying the headphone out as well, it drives my auteur, elear and LCD-3 wonderfully.
Welcome to the end of the game.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #14,148 of 25,896
For the Roon users out there...what are you using to feed your Dave and how is it connected? Up to this point, I've been using DAC's that have built-in Roon endpoint network ports.

Pro-ject S2 Stream Box Ultra currently. Works well, currently use it to feed USB to my MScaler and then dual BNC to the Dave. I personally have not found major differences from USB sources as long as they are well built, I have several RPI 4s with linear power supplies that I run Roon on and they work well as well with all of my USB DACs. I also used to have an Aurelic Vega G2 (Dac), which had a Roon endpoint built into it. It worked well and sounded great, so I would assume the Aries G1 might be a great high end option, however make sure you demo it first, I have heard the USB output can be picky with certain DACs.

Mar 7, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #14,149 of 25,896
I think I understand what you are saying. I always pay particular attention to line up the metal contacts of the plug with the metal on each end of the fuse. I did notice a slight difference difference once when they were not very aligned (my fault) on the plug which provided power to my Power amplifier. (Hope we are not talking at cross purposes.)
I might be making something out of nothing. The question in my mind is whether it is important when reinserting the fuse to not only make sure the length of the end caps are fully aligned with the fuse holder contacts for maximum contact, but also that the fuse is rotated to precisely match where it was when it burned in (given that not all of the circumference of the end caps is in contact with the fuse holder).

Mar 7, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #14,150 of 25,896
STR-1 I doubt that is a noticeable aspect of insertion. In fact alignment itself is probably only really relevant to the Power amp cable because of the sheer amount of current required for a power amp. It is amazing how little power is used for say an Innuos Statement. That said I haven't tested your theory other than the contact alignment, maybe you are right.

Mar 8, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #14,151 of 25,896
Pro-ject S2 Stream Box Ultra currently. Works well, currently use it to feed USB to my MScaler and then dual BNC to the Dave. I personally have not found major differences from USB sources as long as they are well built, I have several RPI 4s with linear power supplies that I run Roon on and they work well as well with all of my USB DACs. I also used to have an Aurelic Vega G2 (Dac), which had a Roon endpoint built into it. It worked well and sounded great, so I would assume the Aries G1 might be a great high end option, however make sure you demo it first, I have heard the USB output can be picky with certain DACs.
I am tempted by the Stream Box Ultra - it would make my system neater. It would need to be rock solid to be worth it - how have you found it with Roon? Any other issues?

Mar 8, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #14,152 of 25,896
I am tempted by the Stream Box Ultra - it would make my system neater. It would need to be rock solid to be worth it - how have you found it with Roon? Any other issues?
I wonder this also, reports on bad stability and overheating has stoped me getting one, would like to move the roon server away from the listening room ....

Mar 8, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #14,154 of 25,896
The power plant for me changed the sound, for me mainly vocals were starting to sound off.

Mar 8, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #14,155 of 25,896
Has anyone used the DAVE with a PS Audio Power Plant? I’ve got a Stellar P3 coming to me soon, and am curious to
know if anyone has used this combo? Will be with an Orpheus.

I used a P10. The jury was out as far as I was concerned.

Mar 9, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #14,157 of 25,896
P12 here. I like what it does for the DAVE. Results with my speaker amp are mixed -- more clarity and separation, slightly less dynamics.

I agree. I don’t have a P12, but have found that power supply type devices are best kept for the front end whilst Power amps work best plugged straight into the wall. This because the power supply devices are generally unable to satisfy the amps peak power demand which causes compression resulting in reduced dynamics.

Mar 9, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #14,158 of 25,896
P12 here, after upgrade from P5. Never tried the DAVE without it so cannot say whether it's better or not, but in general everything in my house sounds better connected to the P12, so the DAVE was connected without much thought.

Mar 9, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #14,159 of 25,896
I wonder this also, reports on bad stability and overheating has stoped me getting one, would like to move the roon server away from the listening room ....

So, the Stream Box S2 Ultra Is good, not perfect. It will overheat if it does not have enough ventilation. In my system it has its own shelf in a cabinet and it is the only component other then the MScaler that generates heat in the cabinet. Stability it gets a 90%. Every once and a while it does crash when a new song plays from the Roon library, it comes back online on it’s own within about 60 seconds. This happens maybe once a week or so at most (and I listen for at least a few hours a day). I am incredibly picky about things “just working” And I am not bothered by it. All this being said though, I bought it used at a very reasonable price (about 50%) and have no issues. At its full price these few crashes may be a little harder to stomach, but then again when I had a Vega G2 it would crash every once and a while to and that was a much more expensive piece of gear.

Mar 11, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #14,160 of 25,896
what about the SQ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back