CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jan 2, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #13,891 of 25,909
I use a cover from them for my imac it might be a little rough for a dave depending on which type you ordered. mine was for imac computer screens. solidly put together though and high quality.

Jan 6, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #13,892 of 25,909
Hello,
I recently upgraded from Hugo2 to Dave + MScaler to drive my Utopia... very nice step up bringing above all a smoother, more round and realistic presentation of the music.

I noticed that the Dave’s screen is shutting down for about a second every few minutes when I play music. I can hear no effect on the sound, just the screen going off. I checked the BCN cables, moved them of position. If I shake them I provoke noisy drop outs, not my issue, so I don’t think they are the problem.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestion?
Thanks

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

Jan 6, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #13,894 of 25,909
Hi B
The screen turns off in mode 4 only. The other 3 modes it stays active. Try another mode, sorry forget how to change them.

Hi Foxman50, thanks. I am aware of the screen modes, my problem is that in mode 1, 2, 3, the screen is going off for a sec and then turning on again. It happens fairly often without impact on sound as far as I can tell.
I wonder if I have a defective unit...

Jan 6, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #13,895 of 25,909
I noticed that the Dave’s screen is shutting down for about a second every few minutes when I play music. I can hear no effect on the sound, just the screen going off. I checked the BCN cables, moved them of position. If I shake them I provoke noisy drop outs, not my issue, so I don’t think they are the problem.

It's normal. As soon as you have made any change, let's say with the volume setting, a few seconds later the display will go off for a second. This to store the new settings, as has been explained by Rob.

Jan 6, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #13,896 of 25,909
Hello,
I recently upgraded from Hugo2 to Dave + MScaler to drive my Utopia... very nice step up bringing above all a smoother, more round and realistic presentation of the music.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-317#post-12861897

Jan 6, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #13,897 of 25,909
totally normal, nothing to worry about

Jan 7, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #13,899 of 25,909
It’s also worth pausing for a moment to appreciate Rob Watts coded the display drivers, character generation, and display interface all from the FPGA— that’s damn impressive. The display in the DAVE is as technically complex as the DAC itself.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #13,900 of 25,909
IDK if anyone mentioned this before, from my experience, using DAVE+HMS upsampling to White color and then connect to Power amp with or without Preamp create "White noise". The speakers tweeters are no longer silence if you put your ears close to them like <1 foot. This only happen when upsampling to the White color. I tried this with several hiend power amp like Octave RE320, AVM SA8.2, and Constellation 1.0. The Octabe and AVM have lowest white noise from tweeter. But for the Constellation I can hear the white noise like 4-5 feet away from the tweeter.

IDK if this affect the playback. I could only hear the noise when not playing music.

Anyway, DAVE+HMS sound great but they are not the best.

Jan 11, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #13,902 of 25,909
IDK if anyone mentioned this before, from my experience, using DAVE+HMS upsampling to White color and then connect to Power amp with or without Preamp create "White noise". The speakers tweeters are no longer silence if you put your ears close to them like <1 foot. This only happen when upsampling to the White color. I tried this with several hiend power amp like Octave RE320, AVM SA8.2, and Constellation 1.0. The Octabe and AVM have lowest white noise from tweeter. But for the Constellation I can hear the white noise like 4-5 feet away from the tweeter.

IDK if this affect the playback. I could only hear the noise when not playing music.

Anyway, DAVE+HMS sound great but they are not the best.
Full upscaling better be used with green filter. Try green filter with dave. I use tt2 and HMS with benchmark ahb2 power amp without any hiss in tweeter whatsoever.

Jan 11, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #13,903 of 25,909
What have you heard that's better.

I am saying this in cost no object perspective.

My answer is MSB Select II.

I cannot afford the MSB but i brought my Dave+HMS to the local dealer store just to compare. The MSB sound in my opinion is "tangible" in the sense of real. I dont say the dac has more mid range. The tonal balance is perfect. Every sound spectrum produced by the DAC is just so real to me.

However, I did not audition the MSB with my system. It may indicates that the system synergy at the store is just at its finest with the MSB.

Jan 11, 2020 at 4:01 AM Post #13,904 of 25,909
Dac manufacturers which do not reveal much about their digital algorithm and filtering and mainly hark about state of the art components etc can best be left to measurements. Total dac was a big casualty in asr forum. Before that it was also very popular like very 'analog like' etc etc. So until unless these so called boutique dacs like msb select, nagra dacx,playback design,audionote etc are measured, it is best not to compare with tt2/dave+ HMS which have already been measured.

Jan 11, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #13,905 of 25,909
Dac manufacturers which do not reveal much about their digital algorithm and filtering and mainly hark about state of the art components etc can best be left to measurements. Total dac was a big casualty in asr forum. Before that it was also very popular like very 'analog like' etc etc. So until unless these so called boutique dacs like msb select, nagra dacx,playback design,audionote etc are measured, it is best not to compare with tt2/dave+ HMS which have already been measured.

I saw a nice quote somewhere it was like "Every sounds can be measured but not every measurement can sound, trust your ears" which is true for me.

When mixing spec and price into a component people might lose connection to music. We may start thinking that this equipment is so overprice/outdated spec/technology while listening which alters the emotion that the record may offer at the time. Be open mind, and listen to what they can offer to our ears is the best measurement for sound (in this hobby) known to mankind.

BTW I'm still using Dave+HMS. It's a good value for money (at least for me).

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back