1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by magiccabbage, May 14, 2015.
Tags:
First

Back
795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804
806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815
Next

Last
  1. Crgreen
    Well, damaging your existing amp is one way of having to get a better amp, but should you really be advising someone to take that kind of risk?

Personally, I’d check with your amplifier manufacturer first before trying that. I’m not sure preamps and integrated amps are designed to be run at full output for sustained periods, however low the input signal. And there’s likely to a lot of additional noise. Passive preamps, such as Audio Innovations preamps and those from Music First might be a different matter.

2. JaZZ Contributor
    Amplifiers always run at «full power» (fixed gain), volume is regulated at their input – or alternatively by a source with (digital) volume control.

[Edit: I changed «power amps» to «amplifiers», because preamps are no different.]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  3. Crgreen
    And with volume set to maximum, if you were to switch inputs, inadvertently, to a non-variable source, what might happen to your loudspeakers?

4. JaZZ Contributor
    You know the answer. But at least the amp will easily survive.

5. Triode User
    OK, yes, guys, make sure you turn the volume back to zero again before changing sources but that applies anyway with any amplifier.

Colin we can tell you are not keen but as jaZZ says, the amplifier part always runs at maximum anyway, the volume pot only controls the input signal that is fed to the amplifier. All that is suggested to use Daves wonderful digital volume control instead of the analogue volume circuitry.

Really, I am sorry I mentioned this. I did not think it was a big deal. So if people are happy that you know what you are doing have a go. For all others do not do it.

But if one is using a separate pre amp, whether passive or active, then it means that one is also using a power amp as well in which case my advice is to try taking the preamp out of the system and feed the Dave direct into the poweramp. That is quite normal advice with Dave and a power amp

marcmccalmont and JaZZ like this.
  6. Crgreen
    Some good news then.

7. AndrewOld
    I’ve been happy with the deals my dealer gave me when trading up from Hugo to Hugo TT to DAVE. Maybe I could have got more selling privately and pushing for a discount, but the deals I was offered saved hassle and delay, But the Hugo and the TT were current when I traded them in, and I was trading up; things might well be different if you are wanting to trade an item that is no longer sold. No harm in asking a dealer or two, make it clear you are serious, they know the market, no reason why you shouldn’t get a fair deal. But remember, VAT is about 20% of the price of a product (in Europe at least), and your dealer needs to eat and stay in business and make some money, so don’t have unrealistic expectations (especially if you are wanting to sell a Blu2)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    rgs9200m likes this.
  8. Crgreen

I don’t have a problem with trying Dave in Digital pre mode into a power amp. Of course, make very sure that you’ve switched from fixed to pre and set the volume as low as it can go before making the connection. In fact, inadvertently switching digital pre to DAC mode when going straight into a power amp has always worried me. I meant to switch from PCM to DSD using Chord’s “ingenious’ and totally forgettable manual controls and woops, there go my speakers. Maybe I’m just the kind of person to whom such stuff can happen.

9. Triode User
    But many or most of us with Blu2 would not sell it anyway. After all a CD played on Blu2 and MScaler is unbeaten in sound quality. :wink:

10. marcmccalmont
    I replaced a Spectral DMC 30 SS II with great success!

11. doraymon
    @Rob Watts can you let us know which speakers have you tried with Dave + Etude?
    And which one did you enjoy better?

12. marcmccalmont
    And a very good reason to buy a Chord DAC thus eliminating the need for a preamp in an all digital system

audio_1 likes this.
  13. JaZZ Contributor
    Not to forget the need for a headphone amp.

14. burbster
    I have recently ordered a Dave and pre ordered an M<scaler, I currently have the chord integrated 2650 amp, but reading the last few posts just wondering would I be better off trading in my amp for a dedicated power amp and using the preamp built in to the dave? Would the preamp section within my 2650 be better than that in the Dave?

15. marcmccalmont
    The analog output of Dave is better than any preamp sell your integrated amp and buy an etude or Spectral amp!

First

Back
795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804
806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815
Next

Last