CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Feb 9, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #9,962 of 25,996
To be clear I meant on a like for like basis. ie comparing a cd played on Blu2 with the same redbook file streamed to Blu2.

It is not always easy to be sure that CDs and high res versions of the same recording have come from the same master. This makes it difficult to compare redbook and hi res files on a like for like basis.

I'll re-ask the question to the whole thread. The original answer missed my original intent: I had not turned my intent adequately into words. I am asking a somewhat theoretical question: does the 44/16 standard limit sound quality in a way that can be alleviated by higher sample rate and/or more bits of resolution. Turning the question around, it could be asked, is high-res snake oil in the sense that, with the proper handling, 44/16 is as "good" as it gets. For "good" I like the listening criteria that Rob has been using, as published here.

Dave/Blu2 (which I do not have) is SOTA for digital playback: it is better than many competing alternatives. Another serious attempt to address some of the shortcomings of digital reproduction has been the release of high-res digital files. Listening through the "microscope" of Dave/Blu2, is there an advantage to using hi-res digital. I totally accept Triode Users observation the it is "difficult to compare rebook and hi res files on a like for like basis". However, is it not *possible* to do at least for isolated cases. Are there any cases where it is known that 44/16 and high-res versions are from the same master? If so, is high-res fundamentally better, or not?

A somewhat narrowed question is, are there 44/16 files and hi-res files from the same master that are simply indistinguishable through Dave/Blu2?

Yet another angle would be to ask, do Dave/Blu2 owners seek the highest res files available for any particular recording, or, is more than 44/16 a waste of money?

Feb 9, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #9,964 of 25,996
Good idea. I sold my Yggy and Moon 430HA and haven't looked back. Big thanks to Chord for including a top-notch headphone amp in the DAC. Anytime we can simplify our system is a big win.

Yes, but from reading the ‘inside information’ from Rob’s posts, the output stage is very much tied to the DAC making it much more than just an added amp like in most conventional setups. This is precisely why I love the designs from Rob.

Feb 9, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #9,966 of 25,996
SuperBurrito, did you try the DAVE + the 430 before you sold the amp?

Although I am not him, I thought the Dave by itself performs better for my taste.

Feb 9, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #9,967 of 25,996
Question to DAVE owners.

Would either or both of these help me?
  • iFi iUSB Power - extremely low noise USB power supply that replaces the noisy power coming from most USB sources.
  • iFi iPurifier 2 - data re-clocking and conditioning from source to DAC. USB 3.0 Female B in, USB 2.0 Male B out. Please note that USB 3.0 B socket is backwards compatible with USB 2.0 B so you don't need a USB 3.0 cable.
I have heard I might not need anything because the DAVE does such an incredible job with USB, but figured it couldn't hurt much to ask.

Feb 9, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #9,968 of 25,996
Question to DAVE owners.

Would either or both of these help me?
  • iFi iUSB Power - extremely low noise USB power supply that replaces the noisy power coming from most USB sources.
  • iFi iPurifier 2 - data re-clocking and conditioning from source to DAC. USB 3.0 Female B in, USB 2.0 Male B out. Please note that USB 3.0 B socket is backwards compatible with USB 2.0 B so you don't need a USB 3.0 cable.
I have heard I might not need anything because the DAVE does such an incredible job with USB, but figured it couldn't hurt much to ask.

I went to the iFi stand at a canjam, told them I had a DAVE and asked them which of their products could help me achieve a better level of performance in my chain. The diplomatic answer was quite long as to the capabilities of the DAVE vs iFi products but my take-away from the diplomacy was that iFi products could not help me where a DAVE was involved.

Regards
GG

Feb 9, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #9,969 of 25,996
I went to the iFi stand at a canjam, told them I had a DAVE and asked them which of their products could help me achieve a better level of performance in my chain. The diplomatic answer was quite long as to the capabilities of the DAVE vs iFi products but my take-away from the diplomacy was that iFi products could not help me where a DAVE was involved.

Regards
GG

This is what I figured, just thought I might as well make sure I am doing a lot of good for it.

I have never heard a blacker background than with the DAVE.

I can't stop gushing about it. Sure, it is a new device, but I have owned A LOT of new devices, and this is one of very few I have gushed over to this extent.

Feb 9, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #9,970 of 25,996
If you can try an optical cable from your digital source into DAVE, then try that. Make sure to disconnect the USB cable while you listen to optical.

If you hear an improvement, then you should consider putting lots (20+) of ferrites on your USB cable.

The aim is that the USB cable sounds the same as the optical, as the optical input on DAVE is the reference for sound quality.

Feb 9, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #9,971 of 25,996
If you can try an optical cable from your digital source into DAVE, then try that. Make sure to disconnect the USB cable while you listen to optical.

If you hear an improvement, then you should consider putting lots (20+) of ferrites on your USB cable.

The aim is that the USB cable sounds the same as the optical, as the optical input on DAVE is the reference for sound quality.

Wait, hold on.

So if my PC has toslink out you're saying I should use that with Dave instead of USB?

Feb 9, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #9,972 of 25,996
Wait, hold on.

So if my PC has toslink out you're saying I should use that with Dave instead of USB?
I suggest you try it.

The sound quality of the optical input on DAVE is the best because of the perfect galvanic isolation (as long as the optical connection is the only digital input connected to DAVE). So any problem that exists with your USB source or cable will be revealed by comparison with the optical connection. You may not hear a problem with the USB connection though.

If you prefer the sound of optical then you can continue to use it, but bear in mind it won't support all the digital formats that USB supports. So music at sample rates above 192KHz is an example of music that doesn't work through optical. In my system the optical connection also won't support 88.2KHz. But that's a problem caused by the computer, not by DAVE or the cable.

If you want to maximise the performance of USB you should try ferrites. The result should equal optical.

Now playing: Piano Magic - The Canadian Brought Us Snow

Feb 9, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #9,973 of 25,996
I suggest you try it.

The sound quality of the optical input on DAVE is the best because of the perfect galvanic isolation (as long as the optical connection is the only digital input connected to DAVE). So any problem that exists with your USB source or cable will be revealed by comparison with the optical connection. You may not hear a problem with the USB connection though.

If you prefer the sound of optical then you can continue to use it, but bear in mind it won't support all the digital formats that USB supports. So music at sample rates above 192KHz is an example of music that doesn't work through optical. In my system the optical connection also won't support 88.2KHz. But that's a problem caused by the computer, not by DAVE or the cable.

If you want to maximise the performance of USB you should try ferrites. The result should equal optical.

Now playing: Piano Magic - The Canadian Brought Us Snow

Thanks, I will go ahead and give toslink a go now.

Feb 9, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #9,975 of 25,996
Thanks for the impression Draytonklammer. 'appreciate it.

If I can give you anymore detailed thoughts on anything, let me know!
I am considering a full review of the Chord DAVE driving the Abyss Phi (along with my Phi review finally)

It's the BEST I have heard in a headphone to date. It bests many loudspeaker setups I have heard as well (to my ears -- I love microdetails)
YES, I have tried the Orpheus, Stax 009 (not the 007 mk1 sadly), Susvara, LCD-4, HD800S, etc. -- no flagship has crossed the line like the Abyss Phi for me.

Now with the Chord, it's even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back