CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Feb 12, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #9,992 of 25,917
@draytonklammer, if wanting to improve the input from USB you can try ferrite cores or one of your mentioned iFi products, or others. However, Rob’s detailed posts have been quite clear that Jitter won’t really be improved so look more for what may cleanup the noise from USB as a priority, again, if looking in that direction. Ferrites have been shown to be effective and inexpensive for many but YMMV.

I have an Auralic Aries and did a comparison between USB and TOSLINK. With the Aries, unlike my Bluesound Node 2, I have not managed to get 192/24 working with DAVE. 96/24 is fine. The Aries has too much slop with in the optical socket with the cable bundled with Dave, and the expensive TOSLINK cables that I have that work fine with Hugo2, won't go up to 192/24 with DAVE as they won't insert fully into the recessed optical sockets on DAVE. So the max I can get with the Aries is 96/24. A real design issue there @Rob Watts !

Anyway, I was listening for brightness. harshness differences and that wasn't what I heard. Instead what I found with a cheap USB cable direct from Aries to DAVE, is that via USB things sounded muddy compared to TOSLINK. It was very obvious and repeatable. I clearly preferred the TOSLINK connection. I then tried a Vertere USB DD D-FI cable, which is their budget line and the difference reduced. I then put an AQ Jitterbug in-line and then TOSLINK and USB sounded the same, which was the goal I was aiming for.

The Vertere cable separates and shields the power lines from the data lines and the Jitterbug probably clears whatever else was affecting the analogue circuitry downstream. There are probably cheaper USB cables that would achieve the same thing.

But my goal to have TOSLINK and USB sound the same is achieved!

Feb 12, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #9,993 of 25,917
I tested the toslink cable that came in the box vs. my USB setup and marginally preferred the USB. My USB setup is nothing too fancy, a Paul Peng Audio USB card in my PC, an Audioquest jitterbug and a Cardas Clear USB cable.

Also, for the last month I've been testing Roon vs. Jriver (which I've used for years), and I'll be sticking with Jriver. Sound quality is identical. The DSP and interface of Roon are great but I would lose the ratings of many of thousands of songs that I've rated. Shame that ratings can't be imported to Roon.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #9,994 of 25,917
Anyone have any experience with DAVE, their computer as a source and a power conditioner?

Would it be worth buying one?

If so, which? (Without killing the bank too much)

Good Question and one that I may be able to add some information.

I was doing some testing this evening with a SOtM tX-USBUltra with two different power supplies a Paul Hynes and SOtM sPS-500 and thought of your post.
So ran a few tracks with and without Dave connected to a Torus TOT AVR. Without the SOtM.

There was a difference for me (YMMV), bass more controlled, vocals more natural, this was on a headphone system ( LCD-4 ) direct to Dave with the Torus. I seem to suffer from noise, so for me the difference was worth the purchase of a Torus.

So it may be worth while trying one...? Let us all know how you get on if you do.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #9,995 of 25,917
4,646 words.

Feb 12, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #9,996 of 25,917
Feb 12, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #9,998 of 25,917
Feb 12, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #9,999 of 25,917
Feb 12, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #10,000 of 25,917
Thank you for reading! Hoping to add more pictures soon.

I did!

I saw your post! I appreciate the review, I am halfway through right now (taking a break lol). Big, comprehensive pieces like this are invaluable for the community for high end products that doesn't get reviewed a million times like for instance hd650 or schiit magni.

Feb 12, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #10,001 of 25,917
I saw your post! I appreciate the review, I am halfway through right now (taking a break lol). Big, comprehensive pieces like this are invaluable for the community for high end products that doesn't get reviewed a million times like for instance hd650 or schiit magni.

I would've written more, but I figured it was comprehensive enough.

I'd be happy to write mote or take aan pictures if anyone would like!

My Phi review will be fairly similar in structure. Hoping to get that done this week.

LCD-4 and Utopia will come in a couple weeks or less but be a bit less featured as there is more of a following that has already covered them a lot.

Feb 13, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #10,002 of 25,917
Feb 13, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #10,003 of 25,917
My take on the Chord Dave:

https://tascware.com/thesummit/dave

Phi, Utopia, and LCD-4 coming soon, in that order.
I liked reading your review very much.
I found it original, like a review should be written.
Well done sir.
Looking forward to your impressions between Abyss Phi Vs Utopia. Thank you for the effort you made while writing the review.

Feb 13, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #10,004 of 25,917
Thanks for the thoughts!
I will be adding those headphone versus headphone comparisons to the Abyss Phi full review. The individual reviews for anything outside of my current end game will be shorter but still hopefully relevant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back