CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Feb 14, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #10,021 of 25,909
I was wondering about the same thing, actually... started placing the user manual on top after turning it off so dust cannot get in.
After seeing how much dust can get inside the tube compartment of the WA8 through those tiny holes in just a year, I wouldn't be surprised.
At least you can see and clean the WA8, you can't see what is building up inside the Dave. It can't be good.

Feb 14, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #10,022 of 25,909
Is anyone ever concerned about the eventual build up of dust and other particles inside of their Dave?

I was looking at the holes on top this morning and thinking that to myself.

I know a majority of high-end equipment have more holes for ventilation, but just a curious thought I had to myself as this is my most expensive equipment piece right now.

Hmm.... I never thought much of it as I thought most of the actual heat dissipation was from the heavy case doubling as a heat sink.... I actually thought the holes were decorative -- I don't see any intake holes to promote convection cooling, for example.

Also I've not yet had a piece of electronic gear fail from dust -- this applies even to 7-8 yr old PCs with forced air fans in a data closet of a dusty office space.

But it does bring up a related question -- tech obsolescence / better mouse trap aside, what is a reasonable life expectancy for a DAVE? a Blu2?

I know that with analog components, 10 years is easy in my experience. 15 yrs is not that hard, depending on capacitors and operating temperatures.

Feb 14, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #10,024 of 25,909
Another silly question, but why do people spend so much on a DAC, why not use analogue tech? Is it because of the expense of collecting records?

(Previous post)I wouldn’t say so, not if you love the 650 headphones. I’ve heard chord magic come through even on £40 iems.

I actually prefer the the “sound of digital” coming from a mojo or Hugo 2 than records on a good turntable, but I’m probably younger than most people on here and I didn’t grow up on vinyl.

Feb 14, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #10,025 of 25,909
Another silly question, but why do people spend so much on a DAC, why not use analogue tech? Is it because of the expense of collecting records?
I love my analog rig but what is your experience with digital gear? The good stuff is incredibly enjoyable and convenient. The exposure to music is almost endless from my listening chair.

Feb 15, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #10,026 of 25,909
Feb 15, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #10,027 of 25,909
I received and hooked my Dave up yesterday afternoon. I’m coming from a Berkeley alpha dac series 2, so no slouch of a dac either. The most immediate difference was the increase in body, depth and, although it seems to go against the gains in these areas, detail. Bass is weightier but faster and precise. I consider the Berkeley to be a very musical and smooth dac that’s easy to listen to but the Dave bested it in these areas, all the while being more detailed, extended and transparent. Amazing piece of kit. More on it later but I’m very impressed.

Feb 15, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #10,028 of 25,909
I received and hooked my Dave up yesterday afternoon. I’m coming from a Berkeley alpha dac series 2, so no slouch of a dac either. The most immediate difference was the increase in body, depth and, although it seems to go against the gains in these areas, detail. Bass is weightier but faster and precise. I consider the Berkeley to be a very musical and smooth dac that’s easy to listen to but the Dave bested it in these areas, all the while being more detailed, extended and transparent. Amazing piece of kit. More on it later but I’m very impressed.

It's an amazing DAC, enjoy it!

Feb 15, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #10,030 of 25,909
Questions to everyone...

Anyone use HF filter?

Anyone use crossfeed?

Feb 15, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #10,032 of 25,909
My general rul
Questions to everyone...

Anyone use HF filter?

Anyone use crossfeed?

My general rule is HF filter on unless using a Blu2, and crossfeed on for headphones (level depends on recording) and cross feed off for two channel

Caution: if you turn on CF for headphones, it stays on for two channel. Turn off CF before unplugging headphones.

Feb 16, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #10,033 of 25,909
Was there a design revision of the casing at some point? Early photos showed the inputs and outputs at the back devoid of any labelling. There were similar comments on the forum about having to refer to the manual to figure out what was what. The back of mine is engraved with the names of the inputs and outputs. So was just curious if/when that changed?

Feb 16, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #10,034 of 25,909
Is anyone ever concerned about the eventual build up of dust and other particles inside of their Dave?

I was looking at the holes on top this morning and thinking that to myself.

I know a majority of high-end equipment have more holes for ventilation, but just a curious thought I had to myself as this is my most expensive equipment piece right now.

I mentioned this a few weeks ago as a couple of large dust particles found their way onto the screen. I spoke to Mitch at Chord who confirmed there was no grommet or similar to prevent dust reaching the screen and he said it was okay to undo the screws around the porthole to blow away dust. To avoid this though I now cover Dave after use.

Feb 16, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #10,035 of 25,909
I mentioned this a few weeks ago as a couple of large dust particles found their way onto the screen. I spoke to Mitch at Chord who confirmed there was no grommet or similar to prevent dust reaching the screen and he said it was okay to undo the screws around the porthole to blow away dust. To avoid this though I now cover Dave after use.

I'm getting fairly tempted to start covering mine as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back