CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Nov 7, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #9,286 of 25,857
Thanks for the early responses. Much appreciated. I should have said already whilst I do listen on my HD800's it is only a very small amount of the time.(& I use a Grado extension cable - is this blowing a lot of the quality? Majority of listening is through my Facts 12s. Did I misunderstand something as I thought I'd picked up a few times that source was really not at all important once you have DAVE? Is there any point on spending money on something like a Melco? What I've picked up from P1 - P135 is that there is no point upgrading my Signature USB but perhaps I should look at changing my chord anthem RCA & Speaker cables? Is there a big jump from Signature speaker cable to Sarum? There seems to be a lot pointing to BNC cables rather than RCA if I'm correct?

Unfortunately this is one where only you can listen and evaluate what you think makes an appreciable difference. I do think that different sources can be heard through Dave despite Rob saying it is less important. For instance I had a demo with the Innuos Zenith SE and it was leagues ahead of anything else I have heard for streamed music. Was it worth the price? Well that depends on how deep your pockets are and how sensitive your ears are.

Is it worth upgrading the RCA interconnects? It's the same issues to decide upon really. I use Chord Sarum RCA but there is no way I would pay new price and I use two year old ones that I bought second hand. But that was only after I had the opportunity to demo them in my home.

Speaker cables, well you know what I am going to say (see above) but I have paid great attention to my speaker cables and they have made a big difference and which is all the more noticeable due to Dave. However in this case I made them myself. What are they? Sorry but they are so good I am probably going to start selling them so my lips are sealed! :smile:

Nov 7, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #9,287 of 25,857
I have to say TU that I am a convert on how important the length and thickness of our speaker cables are in relation to SQ. I expected that shortening my cables would make a difference to clarity and presence but I was shocked by the level of change. I lopped 2m off my cables and this resulted in possibly the biggest single improvement in sound quality that I have experienced. Clarity and presence improved of course but the quality and separation it delivered in the bass was major. My problem (which has bugged me for years) of a dip in the upper mids simply disappeared perhaps because the speakers were now being driven properly. I run single amped cables to the speakers bass connectors and then use quality links to the mids and tweeter connectors. Shortening my speaker cables probably compensated a less than ideal arrangement. There is no question in my mind now that speaker cables are the most important connection in our systems and I can now see why so many exhibitors go bi-amped and shorten the speaker cables down to the shortest possible length. It’s a no brainer.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #9,288 of 25,857
I have a feeling I can make a huge gain from simply rectifying an earlier error of purchase. I bought some signature cable that was 1 x 4m and the other 1.5. I assume from the above post this is a huger error on my part?

Nov 7, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #9,289 of 25,857
I have to say TU that I am a convert on how important the length and thickness of our speaker cables are to SQ. I expected that shortening my cables would make a difference to clarity and presence but I was shocked by the level of change. I lopped 2m off my cables and this resulted in possibly the biggest single improvement in sound quality that I have experienced. Clarity and presence improved of course but the quality and separation it delivered in the bass was major. My problem (which has bugged me for years) of a dip in the upper mids simply disappeared perhaps because the speakers were now being driven properly. I run single amped cables to the speakers bass connectors and then use quality links to the mids and tweeter connectors. Shortening my speaker cables probably compensated a less than ideal arrangement. There is no question in my mind now that speaker cables are the most important connection in our systems and I can now see why so many exhibitors go bi-amped and shorten the speaker cables down to the shortest possible length. It’s a no brainer.

Hey, you’ve seen the light! I agree 100%.

Nov 12, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #9,290 of 25,857
After being somewhat deflated recently by not loving the Blu2 enough to spend £8k on it, and still waiting forever for my Paul Hynes SR7 p/s to arrive, I needed a low cost distraction to cheer up my existing system in the meantime, so I bought some more ferrite cores for my USB cable.

From previous tests, I've ended up with 8 x 7.5mm ferrites on my Supra ethernet cable, and 4 x 10.5mm ferrites on my fatter TQ Black Diamond USB cable. I've stuck with the pricier locking Wurth ferrites because their clearly stated impedance/frequency measurements are typically higher than others, and presumably much higher than the cheapo Amazon/Ebay ones that don't state any measurements at all.

With each incremental addition, I thought there was a slight improvement to SQ, but nothing earth shattering and, with other variables involved, not completely conclusive for me. So far, so rather underwhelming.
Now I added a further 4 ferrites to the USB cable (not more because CPC had run out of stock). This time I was surprised at two levels:

Firstly, the SQ improvement was immediate and obvious.
Secondly, the improvements I particularly noticed were in the areas of clarity, focus and dynamics, rather than the "blacker blacks" type of change that I was expecting from noise reduction.

The extra clarity meant that I could now more easily notice differences when adjusting Fidelizer Pro and Process Lasso parameters on my W10 laptop. Which in turn meant I could now more easily dial in the sound characteristics I want from my source.

So I'm warming more to these ferrite little blighters. Although I still don't like the clunky aspect of heavy, ferrite-laden cables, the VFM aspect is now undeniable for me. So I'm aiming to get another 8 ferrites for the USB cable when they're back in stock. If that will double up the recent SQ improvement then I'll be well pleased.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #9,291 of 25,857
so many different ferrites each one blocking this and that fr, all at different price levels. maybe its a different forum question but does one get an assortment, particular fr...

Nov 12, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #9,292 of 25,857
so many different ferrites each one blocking this and that fr, all at different price levels. maybe its a different forum question but does one get an assortment, particular fr...
I have had very good luck with Topnisus clip on ferrites from Amazon you can order the diameter that fits your cable. They can be removed with your finger nail no key required and they are reasonably priced. Some argue that without published specifications beware Ferrites are cintered ferric oxide (rust) my guess is given a physical size and shape they filter about the same. I also recommend Clearer Audio digital cables their top of the line is the best I’ve heard

Nov 12, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #9,293 of 25,857
I have to say TU that I am a convert on how important the length and thickness of our speaker cables are in relation to SQ. I expected that shortening my cables would make a difference to clarity and presence but I was shocked by the level of change. I lopped 2m off my cables and this resulted in possibly the biggest single improvement in sound quality that I have experienced. Clarity and presence improved of course but the quality and separation it delivered in the bass was major. My problem (which has bugged me for years) of a dip in the upper mids simply disappeared perhaps because the speakers were now being driven properly. I run single amped cables to the speakers bass connectors and then use quality links to the mids and tweeter connectors. Shortening my speaker cables probably compensated a less than ideal arrangement. There is no question in my mind now that speaker cables are the most important connection in our systems and I can now see why so many exhibitors go bi-amped and shorten the speaker cables down to the shortest possible length. It’s a no brainer.
There is a lot to properly engineering a speaker cable. DC resistance, AC impedance (usually overlooked but affects damping factor), dielectric, audible impurities and length. Shorter than 4 ft is important so they don’t become A.M. antennas So mono blocks are better way to go.

Nov 12, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #9,294 of 25,857
After being somewhat deflated recently by not loving the Blu2 enough to spend £8k on it, and still waiting forever for my Paul Hynes SR7 p/s to arrive, I needed a low cost distraction to cheer up my existing system in the meantime, so I bought some more ferrite cores for my USB cable.

From previous tests, I've ended up with 8 x 7.5mm ferrites on my Supra ethernet cable, and 4 x 10.5mm ferrites on my fatter TQ Black Diamond USB cable. I've stuck with the pricier locking Wurth ferrites because their clearly stated impedance/frequency measurements are typically higher than others, and presumably much higher than the cheapo Amazon/Ebay ones that don't state any measurements at all.

With each incremental addition, I thought there was a slight improvement to SQ, but nothing earth shattering and, with other variables involved, not completely conclusive for me. So far, so rather underwhelming.
Now I added a further 4 ferrites to the USB cable (not more because CPC had run out of stock). This time I was surprised at two levels:

Secondly, the improvements I particularly noticed were in the areas of clarity, focus and dynamics, rather than the "blacker blacks" type of change that I was expecting from noise reduction.

The extra clarity meant that I could now more easily notice differences when adjusting Fidelizer Pro and Process Lasso parameters on my W10 laptop. Which in turn meant I could now more easily dial in the sound characteristics I want from my source.

So I'm warming more to these ferrite little blighters. Although I still don't like the clunky aspect of heavy, ferrite-laden cables, the VFM aspect is now undeniable for me. So I'm aiming to get another 8 ferrites for the USB cable when they're back in stock. If that will double up the recent SQ improvement then I'll be well pleased.
Interesting feedback.

Whenever i try and provide advice on this forum regarding RFI, my first question is usually 'have you tried adding a simple ferrite choke to your USB cable?'.
As you have discovered, it is cheap and easy to do, easy to remove if one discovers no benefit, and importantly much better value for money, than following some hifi assistants advice along the lines of 'sir now needs to add this top of the range usb interconnect from supplier X - it is only $800, and very good value for money'.
I have never experimented with using multiple ferrite chokes, each tuned to a different frequency, so I will remain a healthy sceptic, but always able to be persuaded by evidence.

Nov 12, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #9,295 of 25,857
I've had very good results with Synergistic Research cables, especially the upper-level ones.
For super-cheap speaker cables, Mogamis sound to me like they punch way above their bargain price range.

Nov 12, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #9,296 of 25,857
Yes this was, for me, the big surprise: crossing a threshold, a WOW moment for me - going from 10 to 16 ferrites.

In my experience, you hear all of the noise that's in the recording more clearly with better hi-fi. But at the same time, there's a kind of "fuzz" that can be cleaned-up - there's increased purity in the sounds of instruments and voices, a loss of graininess and dynamics sound coherent over time instead of there being a-musical dynamic effects that, on reflection, seem to be literally random.

As the system gets better, the tiniest, most-nuanced aspects of performance, of musicianship, expression, interplay and harmony flow more easily into comprehension, emotional engagement and stimulation. This is the aspect that it can take hours or days to recognise, as the music has undergone a kind of heartfelt re-mastering, not just the technically better sound that one first notices with the upgrade.

If you've crossed the threshold (it seems like you have) then I'd expect the remaining changes to become subtle: musical changes and a quiet, tension-less, comprehension of the music. It'll be about a sense of ease, of effortlessness, and occasional little puzzles in your music collection will suddenly be resolved and you won't have had to have made any special effort.

Nov 13, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #9,298 of 25,857
Yes this was, for me, the big surprise: crossing a threshold, a WOW moment for me - going from 10 to 16 ferrites.
If you've crossed the threshold (it seems like you have) then I'd expect the remaining changes to become subtle: musical changes and a quiet, tension-less, comprehension of the music. It'll be about a sense of ease, of effortlessness, and occasional little puzzles in your music collection will suddenly be resolved and you won't have had to have made any special effort.

My USB cable is between a microRendu 1.4 and an ISO Regen (which is directly conncted to DAVE via its short PCUSB hard connector). And also has a ethernet in the chain. All of these components, and DAVE's own galvanic isolation, claim to clean up noise. In IR's case, that is it's whole purpose of existance!. So it's not surprising that the threshold may be different in different circumstances. What is surprising is that despite all these units in place, more improvement is still possible. As was noted a while back, these isolation devices aren't necessarily perfect. I recall Rob saying that DAVE's galvanic isolation does not extend as far as1Ghz (something like that). Whether that's important or not may depend on the exact circumstance, but PCs can push out an awful lot of noise, as demonstrated by that youtube video.

I have had very good luck with Topnisus clip on ferrites from Amazon you can order the diameter that fits your cable. They can be removed with your finger nail no key required and they are reasonably priced. Some argue that without published specifications beware Ferrites are cintered ferric oxide (rust) my guess is given a physical size and shape they filter about the same.

I wouldn't be so sure that they're all much the same spec. Of the ones with published measurements, only a subset (including Wurth) claim to extend to 1Ghz. However, if you've got good results with these Topnisis ones, and one can get 10 for less than the price of 2 Wurths (comparing the bigger sizes), then I'm inclined to give these cheaper ones a go. Unfortunately, Topnisis don't do a size between 9mm and 13mm (10.5 mm is s perfect tight fit for my USB cable), but if I go for the 13mm ones they can also potentially be used for most mains cables.

Nov 13, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #9,299 of 25,857
My USB cable is between a microRendu 1.4 and an ISO Regen (which is directly conncted to DAVE via its short PCUSB hard connector). And also has a ethernet in the chain. All of these components, and DAVE's own galvanic isolation, claim to clean up noise. In IR's case, that is it's whole purpose of existance!. So it's not surprising that the threshold may be different in different circumstances. What is surprising is that despite all these units in place, more improvement is still possible. As was noted a while back, these isolation devices aren't necessarily perfect. I recall Rob saying that DAVE's galvanic isolation does not extend as far as1Ghz (something like that). Whether that's important or not may depend on the exact circumstance, but PCs can push out an awful lot of noise, as demonstrated by that youtube video.

I wouldn't be so sure that they're all much the same spec. Of the ones with published measurements, only a subset (including Wurth) claim to extend to 1Ghz. However, if you've got good results with these Topnisis ones, and one can get 10 for less than the price of 2 Wurths (comparing the bigger sizes), then I'm inclined to give these cheaper ones a go. Unfortunately, Topnisis don't do a size between 9mm and 13mm (10.5 mm is s perfect tight fit for my USB cable), but if I go for the 13mm ones they can also potentially be used for most mains cables.
I had equally good luck with Yamay’s but of a different size, so cheap give them a try they have 9mm

Nov 13, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #9,300 of 25,857
My USB cable is between a microRendu 1.4 and an ISO Regen (which is directly conncted to DAVE via its short PCUSB hard connector). And also has a ethernet in the chain. All of these components, and DAVE's own galvanic isolation, claim to clean up noise. In IR's case, that is it's whole purpose of existance!. So it's not surprising that the threshold may be different in different circumstances. What is surprising is that despite all these units in place, more improvement is still possible.
If you don't get bored with adding ferrites, then it would be interesting to find out if the ISO Regen becomes redundant. I dare say we could start to talk about these devices as being equivalent to "4 ferrites" or whatever.

It's occurred to me that I could find out if the two Audioquest Jitterbugs I'm using are redundant. All of my tests have been with them present and in theory they should now be redundant...

Now playing: The Streets - Blinded by the Light

Users who are viewing this thread

Back