CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Oct 28, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #9,256 of 25,834
just a question : which interconnects are you all using with the analog RCA outputs of Dave?

I had an interesting few weeks listening around with ones from Vertere and Naim - they all make Dave sound quite different which makes me think - we all hear Dave slightly different, the interconnects do make a difference.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #9,257 of 25,834
just a question : which interconnects are you all using with the analog RCA outputs of Dave?

I had an interesting few weeks playing around with ones from Chord (Sarum) and Naim (Superlumina) - they all make Dave sound quite different which makes me think - we all hear Dave slightly different, the interconnects do make a difference.

I currently use Chord Sarum Super Aray.

I say 'currently' because I am convinced I will find something in the not silly money price range that will sound as good. I did it with speaker cables and it can only be a matter of time with the RCA / Balanced cables . . . . . . . . . . :grinning:.

Of course I might spend that much trying other cables and then where does that get me?!?

Oct 28, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #9,258 of 25,834
well that's a 2100/meter interconnect with a 8000 GBP DAC !

I think some of the Chord's more modestly prices cables might possibly do the job. Like Signature (800 GBP/meter). The Shawline is 200 GBP/meter, and seems to have a lot of the Sarum benefits.

I also found Vertere's Pulse B interconnect to be somewhat less unreasonably priced, but a very strong performer (or well, less harmful to the signal, since that is what the best cables are supposed to do)

It still is very crazy money to me though.

What I found through it that a lot of signal loss/degradation happens on this source to amplifier interconnect - RCA plugs do not seem ideal for transmission of an audio signal.

Keen to know what Rob Watts thinks or suggests?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #9,259 of 25,834
well that's a 2100/meter interconnect with a 8000 GBP DAC !

I think some of the Chord's more modestly prices cables might possibly do the job. Like Signature (800 GBP/meter). The Shawline is 200 GBP/meter, and seems to have a lot of the Sarum benefits.

I also found Vertere's Pulse B interconnect to be somewhat less unreasonably priced, but a very strong performer (or well, less harmful to the signal, since that is what the best cables are supposed to do)

It still is very crazy money to me though.

What I found through it that a lot of signal loss/degradation happens on this source to amplifier interconnect - RCA plugs do not seem ideal for transmission of an audio signal.

Keen to know what Rob Watts thinks or suggests?

I did not buy mine new. They were less than half the price you mention although still in crazy territory. As soon as I find a cheaper cable that does the same I will sell the Sarums but so far I am still looking.

When you say the Shawline seems to have a lot of the Sarum benefits, is that from experience of listening or is that what you surmise from what Chord say?

Oct 28, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #9,261 of 25,834
So interested to hear which have you settled on so far?

Oct 28, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #9,262 of 25,834
since I have a Naim preamp, the Naim cables with a DIN connecter seem to work best with their own amplifiers.

The main difference is the bass - I don't know how Naim do it, but on their own cables the bass sounds best in quantity and also the articulation.

I also find vertere cables really good, that would be what I settled on if I had a non Naim amplifier.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #9,263 of 25,834
since I have a Naim preamp, the Naim cables with a DIN connecter seem to work best with their own amplifiers.

The main difference is the bass - I don't know how Naim do it, but on their own cables the bass sounds best in quantity and also the articulation.

I also find vertere cables really good, that would be what I settled on if I had a non Naim amplifier.

Thanks. It's always interesting to know what people use.

Oct 28, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #9,264 of 25,834
I would love to be able to audition the Chord Music - apparently those who heard it say it's the best cable ever, but then 3800 GBP/meter?

it is worth considering that a cable can never make a signal better, the best ones do the least possible damage. So personally i would rather spend the money on a Blu2 :)

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #9,265 of 25,834
I would love to be able to audition the Chord Music - apparently those who heard it say it's the best cable ever, but then 3800 GBP/meter?

it is worth considering that a cable can never make a signal better, the best ones do the least possible damage. So personally i would rather spend the money on a Blu2 :)

Yes, precisely the point I try to make time and time again when people start talking about buying audiophile power supply cables etc. One person had clearly spent more on these than the cost of a Blu2 and yet he couldn't afford a Blu2. (Oh, and throughout my system I just use the kettle type power leads that come with the kit.)

Oct 28, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #9,266 of 25,834
In my view a quite inexpensive cable is the DFI Vertere range. Won't break the bank, won't sound good as the top Chord 2100 GBP cables or Vertere own top end cables (Pulse R is 2700 GBP/-), but still gives a somewhat good taste of what a hi-end cable sounds like.

I'd much rather have a blu2 with that cable, than a top cable with cost 4000 GBP and no blu.

Oct 28, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #9,268 of 25,834
I’m seriously considering the Dave/Blu combo at the moment but reading the hassle some are having with glare or dropouts and the need for ferrites on the bnc’s makes me wonder if it’s worth the bother.

Oct 28, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #9,269 of 25,834
I’m seriously considering the Dave/Blu combo at the moment but reading the hassle some are having with glare or dropouts and the need for ferrites on the bnc’s makes me wonder if it’s worth the bother.

My advice is to completely ignore the glare issue. Only one person has mentioned it. No one else that has Blu2 and Dave has a clue what he is talking about with his reports of glare due to Blu2. None of the rest of us can hear it.

Regarding the ferrites, Blu2 and Dave sound amazing straight out of the box with no fiddling or messing. I listed to Blu2Dave for weeks before ferrites were even mentioned and the sound was stunning. It is slightly more stunning now with the ferrites but that is fine tuning and is not needed if the owner doesn't want to fiddle.

Some people have had issues with drop outs but this is simply cured by using the other pair of BNC inputs on the Dave so to my mind it is a non issue.

Is Blu2Dave worth the bother? There is no bother to contend with but only buy it you want the best possible available sound from digital sources and CDs.

If not then don't bother.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back