CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Sep 3, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #9,091 of 25,896
You certainly did. :) That's the range I was in last night.

I still need to throw some of my more demanding DSD recordings at it and A-B with it alone and coupled with my GS-X Mk2. I'm not sure why this combo at RMAF was so darn quiet? I realize that it was a meet setting, but I got in there early with my Press Pass (for Headphone.Guru) and it was fairly calm before the big rush later in the morning? Not sure?

In my experience shows are a disaster for things being set up. Bad power. Bad rooms. Ambient noise. Bad DSP. Not educated exhibitors. Often things just are set up incorrectly. For all we know the person working the booth had the Windows volume control set to low - which would speak volumes as to why you weren't taken with at first listen. (I crack myself up)

Sep 3, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #9,092 of 25,896
In my experience shows are a disaster for things being set up. Bad power. Bad rooms. Ambient noise. Bad DSP. Not educated exhibitors. Often things just are set up incorrectly. For all we know the person working the booth had the Windows volume control set to low - which would speak volumes as to why you weren't taken with at first listen. (I crack myself up)

Normally I agree.The exhibitors where great guys I've dealt with at Chord in the past and the room was fairly quiet when we got in there as there were only a handful of us before the big crush hit. But you're right....could be that the Windows volume control was turned down or something else was at play? But last night the DAVE was driving the LCD-4s very well!

Sep 4, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #9,093 of 25,896
Finally getting around to listening to the DAVE with my SR-009/LL2 setup and as much as a microscope this setup was into the recording, wow...things have improved that much more! The DAVE is like the Hubble telescope into a recording pulling out every detail that you can focus on...I can't count how many times I've had to stop reading/typing tonight and just be amazing with what I'm hearing!

Sep 4, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #9,094 of 25,896
Finally getting around to listening to the DAVE with my SR-009/LL2 setup and as much as a microscope this setup was into the recording, wow...things have improved that much more! The DAVE is like the Hubble telescope into a recording pulling out every detail that you can focus on...I can't count how many times I've had to stop reading/typing tonight and just be amazing with what I'm hearing!

Hehe! Yes. That is what my DAVE does to me every time I play a track I haven't heard for a while. Glad you are being amazed like most DAVE owners are. It never ends!

Regards
GG

Sep 4, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #9,095 of 25,896
Hehe! Yes. That is what my DAVE does to me every time I play a track I haven't heard for a while. Glad you are being amazed like most DAVE owners are. It never ends!

Regards
GG

It really is quite impressive rediscovering my favourite tracks...right now I'm listening to Rush's "Moving Pictures" and I am smiling from ear to ear!

Sep 5, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #9,096 of 25,896

I literally can't focus on work while I listen to the DAVE...

Sep 5, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #9,098 of 25,896
IMHO the only time work and listening to music belong together is if you are a performing musician!

Lol! Well, I'm an artist who works from home so listening to music helps pass the time... until I realize I've done nothing but listen to music!

Sep 5, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #9,099 of 25,896
Lol! Well, I'm an artist who works from home so listening to music helps pass the time... until I realize I've done nothing but listen to music!

I am in a similar situation as photographer and have stopped editing photos i PS and listening to music at the same time.
Multi-tasking is never a good idea!
Cheers Christer

Sep 5, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #9,100 of 25,896
Relic
That's exactly the same as I experienced with Dave. I would start work in my study with music coming from the hifi room as I have always done but I just kept stopping and going to my hifi room to catch the performance. I am a semi-retired equities investor and since Blu II turned up about 6 weeks ago I have been lucky to average 1hr per week doing research! This is probably costing me a fortune but boy is it rewarding to the soul.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #9,101 of 25,896
purer the copper better are the results for any audiophile cable applications. purity of copper is expressed in N scale. higher the N number purer the copper. 4N is very good 7N is the best available in market. but only few manufacturers have it. imho purity of copper is more important than even the thickness ( specially for low power demanding applications ) and shielding .

Sep 5, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #9,102 of 25,896
the copper better are the results for any audiophile cable applications. purity of copper is expressed in N scale. higher the N number purer the copper. 4N is very good 7N is the best available in market. but only few manufacturers have it. imho purity of copper is more important than even the thickness ( specially for low power demanding applications ) and shielding

Sep 6, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #9,103 of 25,896
purer the copper better are the results for any audiophile cable applications. purity of copper is expressed in N scale. higher the N number purer the copper. 4N is very good 7N is the best available in market. but only few manufacturers have it. imho purity of copper is more important than even the thickness ( specially for low power demanding applications ) and shielding .

Well the purity and levels and OFC levels marginally affect the resistance. In that sense it matters but in reality does it really? I say not just in the same way that silver is only 5% or 7% better conductor than copper.

I have just made some 5m speaker cables for a friend out of 16mm2 car battery cable. Goodness knows what copper they use but certainly nothing expensive as it is only a couple of £ per m. They out perform his exotic cables costing many many thousands of pounds.

But anyway, this is not a cable thread so I guess we will just have to agree to differ rather than get chucked out of here for taking the thread off subject.

Sep 13, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #9,105 of 25,896
Looks like I will have my DAVE within 2 weeks. I ordered black but silver is shipping now so I made the switch. I liked them both about the same. Can't wait!

I would love to hear some more real world experience of running high efficiency speakers direct from the DAVE. My current listening is about 50:50 headphones (Focal Utopia) vs speakers. My current speaker rig is KEF LS50/Wyred 4 Sound mAMP monoblocks/REL T/7i sub. This is a desktop setup with the LS50's in a nearfield arrangement. I am quite happy with the LS50's but if they can be improved (and simplified) for similar money that I could net from selling my current speaker rig I am definitely interested. Would love to discuss the following questions:

1. What speaker brands and models have been successfully used direct from the DAVE that are suitable for a desktop setting?
2. How are they wired? It looks like a BNC adapter to speaker binding posts adapter is needed. i see cheap ones available on Amazon. Does anyone have a source for higher quality adapters?
3. I also have a Decware Taboo Mk. III that can deliver about 2 wpc into 8 ohms from its speaker taps. I could use that also to power high efficiency speakers but I imagine better results are achieved going direct from the DAVE. Keeping the Decware in my system would also provide the advantage of continuing to have access to a high quality tube headphone amp as a counterpoint to the DAVE headphone amp.

Any other experience or tips on running speakers directly from the DAVE would be appreciated. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back