CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Sep 1, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #9,077 of 25,850
At the other extreme, while I'm waiting (and waiting and waiting and waiting) for my Blu2 I grabbed one of these to stack on top of my DAVE:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G5ZJIRY

Basically perfect fit and worth every penny of the $17.99 I had to scrape together to get it :wink:

Of course, if someone were to gift me the official Chord stands and a new media console to that they fit in, I would gladly trade with them :wink:

Sep 1, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #9,078 of 25,850
Sep 2, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #9,080 of 25,850
Hell, it's about time!

Congrats, Peter! Just think: now you can sell your GSX :wink:

Thanks Paul. That's the one unit I'm still thinking about. Want to try the DAVE with all of the headphones here first (especially the power hungry LCD-4s. We shall see in a week or so.

Sep 2, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #9,081 of 25,850
Shunyata Sigma NR Power Cable.

I suspect that this sort of cable is superfluous bearing in mind the filtering already incorporated in the Dave mains input circuitry (Rob Watts says Dave mains input has "an initial input filter, filters in the SMPS, incoming PSU input filter (ferrite beads and big inductors), then distributed RF filters throughout the circuitry, plus extensive and multiple regulation").

Sep 2, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #9,082 of 25,850
I suspect that this sort of cable is superfluous bearing in mind the filtering already incorporated in the Dave mains input circuitry (Rob Watts says Dave mains input has "an initial input filter, filters in the SMPS, incoming PSU input filter (ferrite beads and big inductors), then distributed RF filters throughout the circuitry, plus extensive and multiple regulation").

Nope, your suspicion is baseless or unfounded, according to my situation. The changes in black background and dynamics, to name just two attributes, presented by Shunyata Sigma cables are way better audibly than even their next product down called the Alpha range. Not by much but still audible. The Chord Electronics view that the DAVE is immune from external influences is not evident in my domestic situation.

As always YMMV and clearly Triode's does.

Regards
GG

Sep 2, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #9,083 of 25,850
Nope, your suspicion is baseless or unfounded, according to my situation. The changes in black background and dynamics, to name just two attributes, presented by Shunyata Sigma cables are way better audibly than even their next product down called the Alpha range. Not by much but still audible. The Chord Electronics view that the DAVE is immune from external influences is not evident in my domestic situation.

As always YMMV and clearly Triode's does.

Regards
GG
I found a similar result.
If you try the cable though a mains block to condition the all the power going to your system most likely improve the SQ ..? Have you tried this and I would be interested if this does as it did for me..?

Sep 2, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #9,084 of 25,850

Hogwash. Dave is absolutely suitable to power differences. It is also susceptible to differences in USB sources.

EDIT: Err, rather, YMMV, IHMO blah blah for all the sensitive people.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #9,085 of 25,850
EDIT: Err, rather, YMMV, IHMO blah blah for all the sensitive people.

:joy: Too funny Paul!

In other news, finally got around to plugging in the LCD-4s into my DAVE and it's ability to drive them is better from what I remember. Great firm grasp of both drivers...playing at -10dB ish. My (now sold) Hugo TT couldn't drive them like this...not by any means.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #9,086 of 25,850
i told you the dave could drive the LCD-4...i listen from -20 to about -5 at the extreme but more often -10...great combo...the HE-1000v2 is also great and a bit more efficient

Sep 3, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #9,087 of 25,850
I found a similar result.
If you try the cable though a mains block to condition the all the power going to your system most likely improve the SQ ..? Have you tried this and I would be interested if this does as it did for me..?

I am sorry but I do not understand what your term "mains block" refers to exactly. Assuming it is a block of outlets then the equivalent I use is the Shunyata Denali filter/conditioner to great effect after my Aussie Power Station transformer and filter was shown to be chopping out the top end by a considerable amount.

I have used the Shunyata Sigma HC cable (with silver wired adapter) directly connecting a double-online UPS to DAVE and that was slightly better than the Denali system as I have it cabled. I can only afford an Alpha Digital power chord feeding DAVE with the Sigma HC feeding the Denali.

If I haven't interpreted your question correctly, I apologise, and ask that you rephrase it.

Regards
GG

Sep 3, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #9,088 of 25,850
i told you the dave could drive the LCD-4...i listen from -20 to about -5 at the extreme but more often -10...great combo...the HE-1000v2 is also great and a bit more efficient

You certainly did. :) That's the range I was in last night.

I still need to throw some of my more demanding DSD recordings at it and A-B with it alone and coupled with my GS-X Mk2. I'm not sure why this combo at RMAF was so darn quiet? I realize that it was a meet setting, but I got in there early with my Press Pass (for Headphone.Guru) and it was fairly calm before the big rush later in the morning? Not sure?

Sep 3, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #9,089 of 25,850
@GryphonGuy
Yes correct a block of mains outlets.
The expensive mains cable is connected between the electric mains and the block of outlets whicn in turn feeds the hifi system with standard cables.
It is very effective of using one expensive cable for the whole system IMO.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #9,090 of 25,850
i had the same experience at Canjam....the amps were not up to driving HP's given the noise,even when it was relatively quiet...i only listen to FLAC recordings for the most part so I defer to the discussion about DSD recordings

Users who are viewing this thread

Back