CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Sep 16, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #9,121 of 25,901
Forgive the short hand. I was alluding to the 2nd stage WTA filter:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-204#post-12596126

Agreed that there are very few DSP cores post 16FS stage, which could all end up in the digital amp.

In noodling some more, another scenario is that the the digital amp is packaged as the DAVE2, an all in one devices (multi inputs, volume control, display panel, etc) with 20/70W output, with a separate digital amp that is a slave device to the original DAVE (single device for stereo or 2 for bridged mode) or slave to DAVE2 for people running in bridge mode.

I am signed up for the Huge2 demo tour. I'm looking forward to doing some critical evaluation of the BluDave vs BluHugo2 vs LonelyDave vs LonelyHugo2. Based on that, I'll sort out what I should do with my DAVE: swap it out for an H2 now then retire the H2 to my work office (headphones only) when the digital amp ships, or hold onto the DAVE, and retire it to my work office when the time comes. Either way, seriously first world problems to be working through
I have not had the opportunity to hear the DAVE.
For me I now reserve the Hugo 2 for home use, and the Mojo for use in the office at work.
Maybe sometime in the future, I will change to Hugo TT2 for home use, and Hugo 2 at work, but that may be one or two years down the line for Chord.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #9,122 of 25,901
I have a Mojo at the office, but the DAVE has completely spoiled me for headphones. I am very hopeful that the Hugo2 gives that DAVE "holy crap!" experience, but I'm not sure I can afford that kind of distraction at work (it is almost impossible for me to work at home when I have the DAVE cranking...absolutely intoxicating)

Sep 16, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #9,123 of 25,901
I joined the Dave club last month. What can I say that hasn't already been said, it's met or exceeded my expectations in every way, spectacular. It bested the MSB Analog I had auditioned previously by a good margin to my ears. At first I was anxious to pick up another headphone, maybe Utopia, Abyss or LCD-4, but then I decided to upgrade from my Vega instead and I"m really happy I went that route. My HD800 are now even more magnificent using Audirvana Plus with Sonarworks into an Aries then to Dave headphone out.

I see different opinions on whether Dave benefits from a good power cable. My suspicion is that it will, but I haven't tried any yet. My budget is up to $3K, I"m considering High Fidelity CT-1, or Shunyata Sigma NR or Alpha NR. Any thoughts on these cables or any others? I'm open to other suggestions. I'm using Shunyata Venom 3 at the moment. Thanks.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #9,124 of 25,901
I joined the Dave club last month. What can I say that hasn't already been said, it's met or exceeded my expectations in every way, spectacular. It bested the MSB Analog I had auditioned previously by a good margin to my ears. At first I was anxious to pick up another headphone, maybe Utopia, Abyss or LCD-4, but then I decided to upgrade from my Vega instead and I"m really happy I went that route. My HD800 are now even more magnificent using Audirvana Plus with Sonarworks into an Aries then to Dave headphone out.

I see different opinions on whether Dave benefits from a good power cable. My suspicion is that it will, but I haven't tried any yet. My budget is up to $3K, I"m considering High Fidelity CT-1, or Shunyata Sigma NR or Alpha NR. Any thoughts on these cables or any others? I'm open to other suggestions. I'm using Shunyata Venom 3 at the moment. Thanks.

Save your money.

$3k on a power cable for the Dave when I am pretty sure that Rob has said that the power stage for the Dave is well filtered? And after all, exotic power cables can only act as filters. They are not somehow doing anything to the amount of power available.

Think about it. Buy three power cables at that price or buy a Blu2 for the same amount. So I say keep the money in your pocket and put it towards a Blu2.

The Blu2 thread has been quite active with how 5 split core ferrites (as tried and recommended by Rob Watts) at less than $5 each do just about or even the same job as exotic BNC cables at many thousands of dollars for getting rid of RF and EMF. If you want to play then maybe try some ferrites to filter the mains.

Others will advise differently and after all it is your money so do whatever makes you happy.

Sep 18, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #9,127 of 25,901
DAVE Windows driver question:

I'm currently on V1.05 driver and I think (but can't remeber for sure) that is the original DAVE driver for any Windows.
My laptop is runnig Windows 10 Creators edition, which seems to work fine with that driver.

I now see on the Chord website that there are 3 Windows driver options for DAVE: W7, W10, W10 Creators edition
Are there any advantages to upgrading my driver to W10 Creator? Or is that only necessary if V1.05 is havng problems?

Sep 18, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #9,128 of 25,901
DAVE Windows driver question:

I'm currently on V1.05 driver and I think (but can't remeber for sure) that is the original DAVE driver for any Windows.
My laptop is runnig Windows 10 Creators edition, which seems to work fine with that driver.

I now see on the Chord website that there are 3 Windows driver options for DAVE: W7, W10, W10 Creators edition
Are there any advantages to upgrading my driver to W10 Creator? Or is that only necessary if V1.05 is havng problems?

Yes its simple. If you want Dave to work as intended with Windows 10 Creators edition, use the creators edition driver. Creators edition is picky about drivers.

Regards
GG

Sep 20, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #9,129 of 25,901
1.Does the Chord DAVE handle DSD natively?
2. Regardless, how does it sound with DSD vs. other native-DSD processors that you may have heard?
3. Stereophile divides DACS into those that handle DSD natively and those that just handle PCM. The DAVE is listed in the native-DSD category. Is this true?
(The Hugo TT is not listed as DSD-native. I have the TT and while it is great overall and I love it, only my EMM SACD player has the DSD magic I crave.)
4. Since I plan to embark on an effort to convert my SACD discs to DSD files, is the DAVE appropriate to get SACD-quality sound (which is awesome to my ears)?
5. Would I need to get a second DSD-native DAC in addition to a DAVE (a painful last resort I really want to avoid)?
Thank you.

Sep 20, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #9,130 of 25,901
Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #9,131 of 25,901
I don't have a DAVE but I spent two weeks with a Hugo2. DSD sounds fantastic on Hugo2 too ...but as Rob Watts says ...DSD does not have the 3D depth that PCM has. It was quite obvious to me - both are crystal clear and equally enjoyable but for whatever reason, the recording venue ambiance is not captured as well with DSD. For people who joined me in a listening session, this additional 3D resolution, though incredible, sounded too 'hollow' - basically the walls of my room went away the eerie sense of 'you are there' was unwelcome as it is such a departure from their ordinary experience with music. But if you are spending this kind of money on a DAC you want it all ...

Sep 20, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #9,132 of 25,901
DAVE has a native DSD mode and a native PCM mode. Each mode can play the other format, but is optimized for one path or the other. Switching between them is a menu option, and takes a couple seconds for the processor to reboot with the new pipeline.

As a practical matter, I leave mine in native PCM mode almost all the time, even though I have a significant collection of SACDs and native DSD content, mainly for convenience (the delta isn't material enough to switch things up, at least for me). If I'm in hypercritical listening mode, I will switch to whatever is the mode that suits the album I'm listening to, but that is rare.

In general, I've found the PCM vs DSD debate to be more a question of synergy between the content and the DAC, vs an absolutist position. When I had my Oppo HA-1, I thought DSD was fantastic and far superior to PCM playback. With the DAVE, both DSD and PCM blow away the Oppo, but I give a slight edge to PCM. In general, I've found delta sigma amps seem to align better to DSD (when they have a native DSD pipe), while multi-bit align better to PCM, and the Chord DACs superior to both delta sigma and multi-bit dacs, with a very slight edge to PCM playback for the reasons @dmance cited above.

That being said, I've not had an opportunity to audition a delta-sigma DAC that is in the same class as the DAVE, so I can't speak to tradeoffs once you get to those rarified heights. I will say that with the DAVE, I get that same SACD viceral thrill even with 16 bit lossless redbook content (and I'm looking forward to getting my Blu2, to take that to even the next level)

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #9,133 of 25,901
For Dave owner or lover one real problem is DSD sound inferier to PCM sound because simply Rob is non DSD beliver so result prove that, I compare Bricasti M1se, Holo Spring 3 KTE side by side using Antipode Server, Zesto Audio Tube Pre,Power Amp drive Martin Logan Renaissance ESL 15A. All three DACs sound fantastic in this level, differences are small but PCM sound Dave was better than both Holo, Bricasti But on DSD Holo comes out little better than Dave either Bricasti . So now Holo DSD VS Dave PCM . Very very close but as usual Dynamic and 3D effects go for Dave but Roundness and sound stage width for Holo little better. For Bricasti M1SE . It is All rounder good with PCM or either DSD if I choose between 2 dac I like Dave better But I AM still disappointed from DSD sounds from Dave . If I upgrade my DAC later Dave or Bricasti not my lists. . Maybe GG from Lampizator or MSB stack,Total TOL DAC or not change Digital at all go for Hi-end TT analoge set up.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #9,134 of 25,901
I have 5 pair Speakers and 2 Headphones with I7 based custom made PC, Aurender N100h, Intona industrial, Allnic T-2000 25TH Anniversary Tube Intergrated amplifier. All my PC are Audio Sensibility Statement occ coper, IC SC from Allnic Audio TOL cables. Speakers I have KEF LS50, Blade 2, HIM Sound A33, Impress, 10 year old DIY speaker with Moreal tweeter, Focal 5 inch Midrange, 2 Focal 8 inch Wooper, HMDF Cabinet with Mundorf caps, high Q internal wires rear ported design. My headphons are Audio sensibility Modded HE6 with OCC coper cable, Focal Utopia Audio Sensibility Statement OCC silver cale to WOO Audio WA6 SE with Westinghouse 6FD7 fat bottle, Marconi U52 Rectifiers with A S Stetement occ coper cable PC, IC. LAST Power Conditioner is Blue Circle Audio, Rack I use Solid Tech 4 shelf with some mid level no name rack for headphone amp. I am very happy right now but never ending try New FOM also New Turntable is tempting but always the moolah is matter.

Sep 20, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #9,135 of 25,901
Thanks everyone for the perspectives on my DSD questions.

I especially appreciate (and find very useful) the opinions from those who are aficionados of SACD/DSD like I am.
I guess that, even if I get the DAVE, I will still hold on to my EMM xds1 and my discs.

I do note that the Oppo (my 105D) is just fair sounding on PCM or SACD and is really just good for DVDs and video.

EMM and Playback Designs to me are extraordinary with SACD in terms of texture, overall realism, and unbelievable transparency in areas like bass and lower midrange. My ears tell me that SACD is still the ultimate in sound when done right.
And the lack of fatigue in highs and upper mids and vocals is something puts SACD/DSD in another league from PCM (while it still preserves all the insight). There is always just more there there with SACD, even lesser quality SACDs.

17 years of listening to SACD has given me this impression. I feel SACD beats analog/vinyl by a mile. (Just my opinion; I respect the opinion of others completely, and I have great respect for vinyl.)

Of course, SACD has only about 35% of the music I like, so I still need to concentrate on PCM.
For the record, I mainly use headphones for listening.
My 2 cents. Thanks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back