CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Aug 21, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #9,016 of 26,005
Interesting observations. Its been a while since I read this entire thread from the beginning but I was under the impression that the DAVE is relatively source insensitive when using its USB input. I use the Melco N1A but have been exploring alternatives, mainly to try Acourate and, possibly, ROON.

In view of ecwl's experience of ROON vs JRiver on the Blu 2 thread (see quote below), I am wondering if the improvements you noticed could have been due to ROON on the Innuos being better than Twonky (or MinimServer) running on the Melco? Or even the fact that the Innous USB outputs directly to the DAVE whereas the Netgear router is in the signal pathway for the Melco USB output?

I could have possibly misunderstood your system configuration when comparing the Melco USB output vs the Innuous SE USB output. No criticism intended here; I am just trying to understand how the various variables matter. Thanks.

I think you understand it almost right. I previously had a PC as Roon core which dragged files from Melco, through the router and output them again, via router, to a mRendu. For Melco output by USB direct to DAC without going through the router does not involve Roon at all as Melco cannot interact with Roon in anyway other than just being a designated file server, so not comparing exactly like with like. I don't believe that the degree of difference can be down to Roon vs Twonky to be honest but the Zenith SE is not a fair comparison with a Melco N1-A and a higher model Melco like the N1-Z would be a fairer test.

Aug 22, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #9,018 of 26,005
furutech is OEM supplier to many big brands including nordost. http://www.furutech.com/oem/ . so getting a cable made through furutech top of the line bulk cables and plugs is still cheaper yet better than even the most expensive readymade branded cables .

I am sorry but you have lost me here. Was this in relation to something that has been raised?

Aug 22, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #9,019 of 26,005
I am considering testing easy to drive monitors from Dave Dacs RCA outlets. Can anyone tell me how many watts these RCAs provide?

Aug 22, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #9,020 of 26,005
I am considering testing easy to drive monitors from Dave Dacs RCA outlets. Can anyone tell me how many watts these RCAs provide?

I am sure I recollect this having been asked before on the forum and answered. Have you tried a search of the forum?

Of course watts depend on the impedance of speakers you are anticipating trying.

Aug 22, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #9,021 of 26,005
Well the Omega CAM is 8ohm but I think they offer to set up a connection in series for 16 ohm TU.

Btw I didn't search 'Watts' because I can guess there will be a huge number of posts turn up with Robs name. :)

Aug 22, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #9,022 of 26,005
Well the Omega CAM is 8ohm but I think they offer to set up a connection in series for 16 ohm TU.

Btw I didn't search 'Watts' because I can guess there will be a huge number of posts turn up with Robs name. :)

Ah, I see your point. Maybe he will consider changing his name . . . . . .

Aug 22, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #9,023 of 26,005
I believe they will not drive them as per the design ( as stated before for XLR output)
You can only by the headphone amp only which I think may have 1.5 watt at 8Ohm ( I could not find the number anymore but from my memory )

If you will do it be careful with low impedance & don't exceed the rated sensitivity of the speaker and use db meter better and if you go -6db below rated sensitivity that will give better headroom and safer operation :)

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #9,024 of 26,005
This is why I have asked so thanks for the reply. I had seen people such as Romaz comment on running Omega speakers from the Dave Dac. Omega speakers can be run with as low as 2 watts. This is again is why I want to check the output of the Dac. I can see now that the headphone socket would be the logical outlet for such an arrangement.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #9,026 of 26,005
The RCA sockets have the same power output as the headphone socket.

Which reminds me I was tempted, for a while, to run Stax headphones off Woo Wee:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wee-new-product-from-woo-audio.504471/

connected to DAVE. DAVE would have about the minimum voltage swing to make this practical, as far as I can tell. But I decided I couldn't be bothered. Wee is huge, not wee, which is a big problem for me too.

Obviously voltage swing and power are not the same things, but to drive speakers off DAVE you need volts and amps - which both the RCA and headphone sockets provide.

Now playing: Rin Oikawa - She Said

Aug 23, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #9,027 of 26,005
Aug 23, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #9,028 of 26,005
I've been driving my Tannoy Canterbury GR speakers directly from the DAVE RCA outs for some time now. They are 8 Ohm nominal 5 Ohm minimal impedance. As long as you don't listen very loudly and/or do a lot of digital EQ (thus eating up the headroom), you'll be fine. I'm expecting a Benchmark AHB2 within a few weeks, so hopefully I won't lose much in terms of transparency while gaining more headroom.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #9,030 of 26,005
actually i was posting in the context of nordost power cable in some previous post.

Without the quoting the post you were commenting on and with other intervening posts on it was difficult to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back