CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Nov 24, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #781 of 25,909
Already done that. I designed new DSD filters, which sounded better than Hugo but they were very complex with 64 DSP cores. And I could not get the FPGA to place and route with these DSD filters and the 164,000 tap WTA filters, so there are two separate FPGA programs - PCM+ (164,000 taps with Hugo DSD) or DSD+ (82,000 taps with better DSD).

Rob

And what type FPGA are you using for the Mojo ?

:innocent:

Nov 24, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #783 of 25,909
Hi Rob, I've been enjoying Hugo TT for just over a week now. I hardly need say that it's extraordinary :D

I wonder if it would be theoretically possible to produce/re-program Hugo FPGA without the DSD functionality? Would it save enough FPGA capacity to enable you to ramp-up the PCM side, using some of what you've learnt from DAVE?

Already done that. I designed new DSD filters, which sounded better than Hugo but they were very complex with 64 DSP cores. And I could not get the FPGA to place and route with these DSD filters and the 164,000 tap WTA filters, so there are two separate FPGA programs - PCM+ (164,000 taps with Hugo DSD) or DSD+ (82,000 taps with better DSD).

Are you saying that there will be two variants of DAVE: PCM+ and DSD+? Or, does it self-program the FPGA into either PCM+ or DSD+ modes?

I was actually enquiring about a version of Hugo with DSD functionality deleted entirely.

Is it too early to try to sell a new DAC without DSD capability?

Nov 24, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #784 of 25,909
I also don't quite understand the end result-if I wanted to take advantage of those taps, could I leave Dave in PCM or does it auto convert to the DSD? I just don't know enough about the technicalities here. Like Jawed though, DSD files have done little for me sonically.

Nov 24, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #785 of 25,909
I believe that Rob stated in an earlier post that if you leave DAVE in PCM+ mode it will play PCM in its best form along with decimated DSD using a simplified smaller version of the DSD software. You will also have the option to select DSD+ which will decode DSD files at their best without decimation, but in that setting PCM decoding will then be compromised. There was not enough space to support PCM+ and DSD+ simultaneously. I'm sure Rob will correct me if I'm wrong, or clarify further.

Nov 24, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #786 of 25,909
I also don't quite understand the end result-if I wanted to take advantage of those taps, could I leave Dave in PCM or does it auto convert to the DSD? I just don't know enough about the technicalities here. Like Jawed though, DSD files have done little for me sonically.

Dave will have a switch where you can freely select the filter you want, either the WTA 164K taps or the one optimized for DSD 82K tap length (half sized, but lower latency and smoother sounding for non-decimated DSD).

Any format will play with either, but there is a clear recommendation.

Nov 24, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #787 of 25,909

Hi Rob - I recently swapped my Hugo for a Hugo TT, and I have to say that the difference is anything but small running into active speakers, so firstly thanks (again). But I also have to say that I have pretty much no interest in DSD - there are hardly any true DSD recordings - so if there is ever a way to reprogram the FPGA in the TT with more taps at the expense of DSD count me in!

Happy Christmas too. :)

Just the opposite. I can point you to 1500 albums recorded NATIVELY in DSD (SA_CD.net has the info). Cant do the same for PCM, as the vast majority were done with a delta sigma ADC and so were DSD-ized to start with. Sure many DSD non native albums came from tape transfers or had PCM processing in the mastering stage, but not that magic 1,500 and you can lump in the tape transfers as well for another 2,000 albums, as these are almost as good as NATIVE.

Chords ADC design, will hopefully be pure PCM, I assume. I know the Pacific Microsonics PM-2 is a native PCM ADC and Dac. No longer made and old ones sell for $20K.

Still, a version of Hugo with ONLY PCM may save a bit of space for more taps, etc, but would require rework by Rob of an old tech product.

Nov 24, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #788 of 25,909
Cc
I believe that Rob stated in an earlier post that if you leave DAVE in PCM+ mode it will play PCM in its best form along with decimated DSD using a simplified smaller version of the DSD software. You will also have the option to select DSD+ which will decode DSD files at their best without decimation, but in that setting PCM decoding will then be compromised. There was not enough space to support PCM+ and DSD+ simultaneously. I'm sure Rob will correct me if I'm wrong, or clarify further.

Ah, ok, thanks. So I would use PCM+ for CD replay and the DSD+ for other files?

Nov 24, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #789 of 25,909
Dave will have a switch where you can freely select the filter you want, either the WTA 164K taps or the one optimized for DSD 82K tap length (half sized, but lower latency and smoother sounding for non-decimated DSD).

Any format will play with either, but there is a clear recommendation.

Thanks. I feel like Homer here with the FBI just not getting his new name but the tap number/PCM+ is the real seller? I feel so old just not getting it lol
I guess the DAVE isn't concerned with what's plugged into it, it just does its thing so the fact that redbook CD is supplying the data in my case is irrelevant?

Nov 25, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #792 of 25,909
well made to order here in canada, 4-6 week delivery and a whopping 17500 can doll just for dave, no base. good thing sold the cottage
blink.gif

Nov 25, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #793 of 25,909
  These must be very exciting times for the Chord business, (employees and management alike). With the release of Hugo the company expanded their client footprint hugely. They have followed up quite quickly with Hugo TT, 2 Qute, Dave, Mojo and soon to release Chord ADC's. Hugo, Mojo and ADC's are completely new markets. It is a great business story. I just hope Chord are able to maintain their well deserved reputation for bullet proof build quality. Quality standards are the hard bit for any fast growing company. I wish them every success. UK knowhow selling to the world.

On behalf of everyone at Chord, thank you Dave! Don't you worry, we won't be sacrificing any of our quality standards - we'll still be Chord no matter what happens. I hope that you have a very happy Wednesday.

Nov 25, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #794 of 25,909
  well made to order here in canada, 4-6 week delivery and a whopping 17500 can doll just for dave, no base. good thing sold the cottage
blink.gif

I heard a rumor that the North American distributor is setting a rule that Chord Hugo dealers are not going to be automatic dealers for Chord Dave. The dealers have to order a minimum of 2 Chord Dave's in order to be able to be the official dealer for Chord Dave (which isn't unreasonable as most dealers want a version as demo). So in large markets, I'm sure the dealer can just pre-order as many as people want. But in smaller markets, most dealers would need to order 2 at once which may be on the expensive side. I'm not sure how Chord is going to fulfill demand quickly based on that rule. But then rumors are rumors. May not even be true.

Cottages are over-rated anyway. Good thing you sold the cottage at market high as there is probably a housing bubble all over Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back