CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Nov 23, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #766 of 25,832
why so much worry about the output and power of dave ? I used Beyer dt880 600 ohm with Hugo and I could not go beyond light blue and still there was plenty of clean output left upto purple.

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #767 of 25,832
  Hello again Rob, and thanks for your response .It sure  looks like you have quite a busy  time coming up.
I can't say I envy you flying from Asia to San Francisco and then back again within days.
Unfortunately it seems  like I will miss these events, unless I can change one of my next flights. I am flying out from Sri Lanka to KL on the 30th of November and then onwards from there on the 7th December  to Thailand.
Where in KL on the 9th?
I know Park Royal in Singapore having stayed there several times,but I don't think I can change my ticket from Colombo to KL to an earlier date.But I will try.
Anyway I will  as usual when visiting Singapore or KL, get a dose of live classical concerts in KL on the 3rd and  5th and 6th December. The so often overlooked point of reference and calibration.
Maybe I will be back in Singapore for the Can Jam in Februari. Will you be there with Dave then?
Back on topic of headphones and HUGO this time again. Would you recommend HE1000 as a good match for HUGO?
I really liked how natural  and realistic strings sounded via those headphones and was  I  was also quite impressed  by how well normally  difficult to reproduce, percussive instruments where rendered. 
They seemed a bit harder to drive than my HD 800 and I had to raise levels into blue on most tracks I heard during the 2 hours I listened at Sound and Vision at the Adelphi.
With my HD 800 I almost always stay within green level on my HUGO.
PS How is the ADC  you mentioned working on,  progressing?
Chris

I think the Malaysia KL stop is just a press event.

But yes it looks like I will be doing Singapore Canjam too, after CES.

Not tried the HE1000, its on my to do list.

ADC looks like starting in anger soon. I have done it before, so its not a difficult project - just upgrading the reference DAC's. R and D for the filters have been done, so I know what to do for that.

Rob 

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #769 of 25,832
I shall be looking out for new recordings, which have used your ADC's, in future Rob. I have no doubt Chord will have an impact in that space. 

Is Dave now signed off? 

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #770 of 25,832
Thanks for the welcome guys :blush: honoured to be here!
I blew some money on upgrading my PMC speakers from IB2i's to MB2SE's as a result of the NAS which are now being built but I kinda wish I'd ordered the Dave there and then too.

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #771 of 25,832
  I shall be looking out for new recordings, which have used your ADC's, in future Rob. I have no doubt Chord will have an impact in that space. 

Is Dave now signed off? 

No doubt some sample recordings will be made available.

Production code was sent today, a very minor change is happening, so tomorrow I will be finished. Chord should start shipping very soon.

Rob 

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #772 of 25,832
Hi Rob-I just wanted to say that your contributions and evident passion has swayed me to a purchase. So many manufacturers,engineers and designers hide away from their customers-it is extraordinarily refreshing to have such input and communication from anyone involved in the design, manufacture and sale of hifi let alone such a tirelessly passionate artisan such as yourself. Enough gushing, but seriously, many thanks.

Nov 23, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #773 of 25,832
Yippee!
Thanks for the update Rob.

Nov 23, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #774 of 25,832
These must be very exciting times for the Chord business, (employees and management alike). With the release of Hugo the company expanded their client footprint hugely. They have followed up quite quickly with Hugo TT, 2 Qute, Dave, Mojo and soon to release Chord ADC's. Hugo, Mojo and ADC's are completely new markets. It is a great business story. I just hope Chord are able to maintain their well deserved reputation for bullet proof build quality. Quality standards are the hard bit for any fast growing company. I wish them every success. UK knowhow selling to the world.

Nov 23, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #775 of 25,832
Hi Rob, I've been enjoying Hugo TT for just over a week now. I hardly need say that it's extraordinary :D

Its so huge the noise shaper alone would not fit on Hugo's FPGA. But the improvements in noise floor modulation, and the timing accuracy, also have a very big influence, but the first thing you should notice is the uncanny depth.

I wonder if it would be theoretically possible to produce/re-program Hugo FPGA without the DSD functionality? Would it save enough FPGA capacity to enable you to ramp-up the PCM side, using some of what you've learnt from DAVE?

Nov 23, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #776 of 25,832
.... Would it save enough FPGA capacity to enable you to ramp-up the PCM side, using some of what you've learnt from DAVE?

very good and smart idea.

Nov 24, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #779 of 25,832
Hi Rob, I've been enjoying Hugo TT for just over a week now. I hardly need say that it's extraordinary
biggrin.gif

I wonder if it would be theoretically possible to produce/re-program Hugo FPGA without the DSD functionality? Would it save enough FPGA capacity to enable you to ramp-up the PCM side, using some of what you've learnt from DAVE?

Already done that. I designed new DSD filters, which sounded better than Hugo but they were very complex with 64 DSP cores. And I could not get the FPGA to place and route with these DSD filters and the 164,000 tap WTA filters, so there are two separate FPGA programs - PCM+ (164,000 taps with Hugo DSD) or DSD+ (82,000 taps with better DSD).

Rob

Nov 24, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #780 of 25,832

Already done that. I designed new DSD filters, which sounded better than Hugo but they were very complex with 64 DSP cores. And I could not get the FPGA to place and route with these DSD filters and the 164,000 tap WTA filters, so there are two separate FPGA programs - PCM+ (164,000 taps with Hugo DSD) or DSD+ (82,000 taps with better DSD).

Rob

Hi Rob - I recently swapped my Hugo for a Hugo TT, and I have to say that the difference is anything but small running into active speakers, so firstly thanks (again). But I also have to say that I have pretty much no interest in DSD - there are hardly any true DSD recordings - so if there is ever a way to reprogram the FPGA in the TT with more taps at the expense of DSD count me in!

Happy Christmas too. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back