CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Feb 4, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #7,456 of 26,005
DAVE has 3 upsamplers that run one after the other:

from input to 16x,
from 16x to 256x
from 256x to 2048x

The first of these, 16x, is also present in Blu 2. So DAVE doesn't need to perform the first stage of upsampling. So DAVE's 164,000 taps don't interfere with the million taps in Blu 2.

The pulse array has nothing to do with upsampling. The pulse array is actually the digital to analogue converter, the final digital step.

Now playing: Slowdive - Waves

Feb 4, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #7,457 of 26,005
Since getting the Utopias, I've been eyeing the DAVE as my next purchase so I'm not that familiar with how the whole "taps" thing works.

If the Blu MK2 has 1M taps but then that signal is fed to the Dave with 164k taps, are you not downgrading the 1M taps of the blu by feeding it to the DAVE? Sorry for the newbi question

To add to the @theveterans reply, the Blu2 will replace some of the processing that was previously performed by the DAVE. 

Feb 4, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #7,458 of 26,005
Blu-Mk.II-Connectivity-Web-Res-CROP-1.jpg

Feb 4, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #7,459 of 26,005
  http://hifipig.com/chord-electronics-adds-usb-input-to-blu-mkii-cd/

I just read that Chord added USB type B input to Blu Mk. 2. Does it mean that Blu Mk. 2 will work as USB DAC as well? 

​No. If you don't have a Chord DAVE, you would take your USB streamer/computer music source and connect it via USB to the Blu Mk 2 which would upsample your music to 384kHz or 352kHz 24-bit and then send the digital music data to your USB DAC via BNC / coaxial S/PDIF, assuming your DAC has BNC or coaxial S/PDIF input.

Oops. I just realized I misread the question. But it's too late to erase my old answer.
But I think others have answered that Chord DAVE and other Chord DACs are actual USB DACs. Blu Mk 2 even with its USB input, is "just" an upsampler. It can upsample to 704kHz or 768kHz into the Chord DAVE or at lower sample rates into other DACs. But it is likely the best upsampler in the world because of the computational power and algorithm used. We are hoping that it is the superior upsampling capabilities of the Blu Mk 2 that would make CDs "even more analog" (whatever more analog means to you).

That said, even though I've sort of pre-ordered Blu Mk 2 through my local dealer, whenever I listen to Chord DAVE, I sometimes wonder what I'm getting myself into, given DAVE already sounds absolutely amazing...

Feb 4, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #7,460 of 26,005
​No. If you don't have a Chord DAVE, you would take your USB streamer/computer music source and connect it via USB to the Blu Mk 2 which would upsample your music to 384kHz or 352kHz 24-bit and then send the digital music data to your USB DAC via BNC / coaxial S/PDIF, assuming your DAC has BNC or coaxial S/PDIF input.

Oops. I just realized I misread the question. But it's too late to erase my old answer.
But I think others have answered that Chord DAVE and other Chord DACs are actual USB DACs. Blu Mk 2 even with its USB input, is "just" an upsampler. It can upsample to 704kHz or 768kHz into the Chord DAVE or at lower sample rates into other DACs. But it is likely the best upsampler in the world because of the computational power and algorithm used. We are hoping that it is the superior upsampling capabilities of the Blu Mk 2 that would make CDs "even more analog" (whatever more analog means to you).

That said, even though I've sort of pre-ordered Blu Mk 2 through my local dealer, whenever I listen to Chord DAVE, I sometimes wonder what I'm getting myself into, given DAVE already sounds absolutely amazing...

My take on this is that we must understand that Blu2 transport is only an interim demonstration of the MScaler in a cd transport. The real product is going to be Davina as it will have both USB in and out functions, and that is what we should all be waiting for if we want the bells and whistles. Of course, for those who can't wait, get the Blu2 first!

Feb 5, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #7,461 of 26,005
  hello, I'm new in this forum. great place to speak for audio.
I have AKG k702 headphones and since now I hear music from a Technics amp , not good I know, and I have some money to spent. Do you believe is a good fit my headphones with Chord Dave or it is better to buy better headphones and a cheaper headphone amp? HugoTT for example.

Sorry for the delay in my reply but I wanted to do a side by side test of my Dave and Hugo TT.
There is a difference but the Hugo TT does give a very good performance and the enjoyment value is outstanding.
All I would say if your a photographer and a pixel peeper and do the same with your music then there is more of a difference.
Personally I would purchase a second hand Hugo TT and purchase a high end headphone of your choice.
The guarantee on the Hugo TT is 5 years so you should be able to resell your purchased second hand one without as much loss such you decide to upgrade to the Dave at a later date.
I use LCD4 but may try the Focal Utopia.
Oh the thing I have noticed on this forum that no one mentions the USB cable and the sound difference with Dave which is as important....?

Feb 5, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #7,463 of 26,005
  I have tried 4 different USB cables from 3 USD to 300 USD, and could not reliably tell any difference in SQ with Dave.

Rob 

Thank you for your reply, which I respect, and always wanted to ask you this question.

Your experience and expertise overshadows me without any doubts. 

I have tried some expensive cables circa £1000.00 along with some less expensive have untrained ears as just taking my first steps into HiFi.

For me there was a difference, more so with speakers than headphones and more so with Hugo TT than Dave.

I am off to get a volunteer to change the cables for me for a blind test, will come back if I may.

Regards

Feb 5, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #7,464 of 26,005
  I have tried 4 different USB cables from 3 USD to 300 USD, and could not reliably tell any difference in SQ with Dave.

Rob 

That's good to know and will help me afford the Dave I have just ordered after trialing it against my Bricasti M1. I have always taken the view that a USB cable either works or it doesn't.

By the way, the Dave seemed to me to portray more realistic music that sounded less 'recorded'. I also compared the HugoTT and found a big step up with the Dave. This was all with a table top system and speakers though.

Feb 5, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #7,465 of 26,005
My tests were with headphones only - and that was done simply to see if Dave - on it's own - was sensitive. With loudspeakers, you have a pre-amp (preferably not!) and a power amp. These devices are sensitive to RF noise, and its conceivable that RF noise from the USB cable would change the SQ of these. But in these cases you are not hearing the USB with Dave. Moreover, it's possible that different sources may react differently to the RF character of the USB cable. Note also that initially I did hear a difference with USB cables - but it was not consistent - but then I noticed that the cable was close to the headphone cable. When I separated the headphone cable from the USB cable, then the differences disappeared.   

So YMWV on this; but I maintain that the USB cable is not something to worry about with Dave.

Rob

Feb 5, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #7,467 of 26,005
....... With loudspeakers, you have a pre-amp (preferably not!) and a power amp. ..........  
Rob

Rob, I have valve power amps and I have consistently found that the sound is seriously degraded by trying to take the output from a Hugo, HugoTT or Dave direct into the power amp. As a result I use a Music First TVC preamp between your DACs and the valve power amps. Maybe its an impedance thing with the valve amps as opposed to a solid state amp. I know that you have always been consistent in your view that you prefer those DACs going direct into the power amp but I wondered if you have ever tried a valve power amp with them? I use the Icon Audio MB845Mk2 monos.

(By the way I have just ordered a Dave after trialing it against my current DAC).

Feb 5, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #7,468 of 26,005
Rob uses a modern laptop running on battery power generally - which appears to result in very low RFI injection into the USB cable. With his laptop connected to mains power he reported what is likely to be mains-originated RFI noise:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766517/chord-electronics-dave/3435#post_12681548

So what does this tell us? Basically the most significant path of RF is residual coupling via the USB, not via the mains supply as the jitterbug alone gets you most of the way.

Use the jitter bug for mains powered USB sources - it is worth the small cost.

The best sound is still with a Win 10 lap-top on battery and for critical listening that is what I do. Battery operation and Dave's galvanic isolation means effectively perfect RF noise isolation from the source.

In my view a computer is a source of RFI in its own right, independent of what's in the mains. I'm dubious that any computer will inject no noise into a USB cable. On the other hand, Chord's USB implementation has high quality galvanic isolation, which probably puts a threshold on how much inherent PC noise is required to cause a problem. But it's not perfect, hence people generally always prefer some kind of USB optimisation for their Chord DAC.

My PC is a few years old and mains powered. I use two Jitterbugs for my PC. One is between my PC and DAVE, the other is in another socket on the back of the PC. I also use this short USB cable:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008VOPCGY/

I tried the cable fist, which I preferred over the USB cable that came with my TT. All 3 tweaks were improvements with my TT. Since I got DAVE I haven't re-evaluated.

Also, perhaps DAVE's power supply might be better than TT's at killing RF noise that gets in through USB.

Now playing: Sergej Bezrodny; Vladimir Spivakov - Spiegel Im Spiegel

Feb 5, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #7,469 of 26,005
My take on this is that we must understand that Blu2 transport is only an interim demonstration of the MScaler in a cd transport. The real product is going to be Davina as it will have both USB in and out functions, and that is what we should all be waiting for if we want the bells and whistles. Of course, for those who can't wait, get the Blu2 first!

So Kamil, Chord DAVINA will work as A/D, also as D/A converter and theoretically will replace whole DAVE functionality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back