CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Feb 1, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #7,426 of 25,905
  i'm not sure that's how it works. The Dave is still the DAC. There is no audio signal being passed, only digital data, between the Blu2 and the Dave.

Okay, how is the digital data divided between the two BNC S/PDIF? 

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #7,427 of 25,905

Rodney, I would say bypass the 3 series and go for the Compact Alnico Monitor which can be custom made by Louis Chochos to fit your desk.  It is a considerable upgrade to the Super 3 or 3i.  It can be driven directly by DAVE and the pairing is a match made in heaven although you will want to find a good fast subwoofer to add to the mix.

As for cables, you will want to get some adapter to allow you to directly connect a pair of RCA interconnects to a pair of speaker cables.  There are many who can make you such an adapter.  There are a wealth of great cables to choose from that will sound good but it shouldn't come as any surprise if I suggest that you audition the High Fidelity Cables.  In this application, they really really shine (even their entry-level Reveal line) and HFC can also make you the adapters that you need.  Everything can be auditioned with a money back guarantee.

Just a question, if the speakers can be custom made why bother with speaker terminals at all, why not run direct from speaker terminals to an RCA connector using one's favourite speaker cable?

Convenience will take a knock and it certainly wouldn't degrade the sound but would be as pure a connection as can be - unless the Dave end is soldered to Dave's board :)

I had not thought of this before but this is an excellent suggestion to have custom speakers built with RCA inputs instead of speaker binding posts!

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #7,428 of 25,905

I had not thought of this before but this is an excellent suggestion to have custom speakers built with RCA inputs instead of speaker binding posts!

I was thinking beyond that :)

The speaker cable connected to the driver and then run through the cabinet and terminated on the RCAs that are plugged into the Dave. This will have a cable tail from the speaker but if they were ever moved then you could a get male to female RCA connecting cable.

But your idea is good too, I didn't think of putting RCAs as the speaker termination.

It would be interesting to run a couple of metres of pure silver cable from driver to Dave using something like this - http://www.tempoelectric.com/cables.htm#foot

Maybe you can test and let us know :wink:

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #7,429 of 25,905

I was thinking beyond that :)

The speaker cable connected to the driver and then run through the cabinet and terminated on the RCAs that are plugged into the Dave. This will have a cable tail from the speaker but if they were ever moved then you could a get male to female RCA connecting cable.

But your idea is good too, I didn't think of putting RCAs as the speaker termination.

It would be interesting to run a couple of metres of pure silver cable from driver to Dave using something like this - http://www.tempoelectric.com/cables.htm#foot

Maybe you can test and let us know :wink:

Very forward thinking!

Feb 1, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #7,430 of 25,905
Roon 1.3 officially releases today and this is what I am most excited about:

"We've added a whole family of audio and DSP features with a 64-bit audio pipeline, including dynamic range analysis, EQ, upsampling, crossfeed for headphones, and adjustments for headroom as well as corrections for speaker phase and delay."

Now, finally I'll get to try out @JaZZ's EQ settings on my HE-1000.

Feb 1, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #7,431 of 25,905

"We've added a whole family of audio and DSP features with a 64-bit audio pipeline, including dynamic range analysis, EQ, upsampling, crossfeed for headphones, and adjustments for headroom as well as corrections for speaker phase and delay."

OMG this is amazing! Thanks for sharing this romaz. I was literally googling when Roon was going to add EQ this morning and now they finally have. Impeccable timing! The extra features look interesting too!

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #7,432 of 25,905

Yeah, Roon 1.3 is a slam dunk. This sounds like the best audio player ever, without upsampling anything. I mean, they really hit this one out of the ballpark!

The part that I dig the most is taking 5.1 and remixing to 2.0. It always adds a new mix flavor or a different texture to previous mixes...OR...often there are very dynamic 5.1 mixes, where they don't exist in 2.0, and now you get the full dynamic range. I loved that feature in JRiver.

Next up? I would love a lossless (bit-perfect) room correction like JRiver had. I'm not sure if JRiver's was bit-perfect, but for listening with headphones I could take mono mixes and add a different balance, basically creating a fake stereo mix that really brought out the mono elements but without the hole-in-the-middle effect with cans. I'm just saying, that Roon is dedicated to bit-perfect playback no matter the DSP settings, so if anyone could do it, they could.

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #7,433 of 25,905
A question about the DAC performance in chord products, I read online about how group delay frequency affect the DAC performance. so is there any measurement to evaluate this and how chord DAC do in this area ?

Feb 2, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #7,435 of 25,905
There's a brief Japanese assessment of Blu2 M Scaler over on the Blu 2 thread posted by maxh22. I think the writer was rather taken by what CD could produce too

".....The writer also experienced that sound, but also the depth of carving of three-dimensional sounds and the sense of air in the place where the sound source was recorded are conveyed vividly. This is a incredibly incredible performance of CDs."

I can't wait to hear this product.

Feb 2, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #7,436 of 25,905
I'm listening to i tunes and forgot how good 44.1 can sound, I can only imagine how good the M-Scaler  will sound.

Have you ever studied the invention of the CD? It's not just a question for you, but for everybody in here. It's actually really amazing. I'm not talking about what's on Wikipedia, but some in depth stuff that's out there, especially Peek's book. All about how Sony and Philips really got it right with 16/44.1. It's really neat how forward thinking the whole process was.

Think about this: it was 106 years from when Thomas Edison patented his wax cylinder to the marketing of the compact disc. It's only been 34 years since the first CDs hit the market to now.

Feb 2, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #7,437 of 25,905
O/T I heard a pair of Kef Blade 2's on demo recently I have to say those things go deep! The room wasn't small but the depth of bass was prodigious. Honestly sounded like a huge subwoofer was being used on one recording. Would have loved to hear them with a Dave front end.

If Kef's figure of 32 hz is correct then all other speaker specs are wrong imo.

Feb 2, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #7,439 of 25,905
There's a brief Japanese assessment of Blu2 M Scaler over on the Blu 2 thread posted by maxh22. I think the writer was rather taken by what CD could produce too

".....The writer also experienced that sound, but also the depth of carving of three-dimensional sounds and the sense of air in the place where the sound source was recorded are conveyed vividly. This is a incredibly incredible performance of CDs."

I can't wait to hear this product.

... eh, is this something special?
rolleyes.gif

Maybe in just lucked out with my set up and taking this for granted at a much lower cost than Blu2/Dave.
If the recording has been made in a real acoustic space with live musicians/orchestra playing, then I have this is realistically transported via my speakers. I get a sense of the position of the musicians in the room and size of the room itself. I have no problem to virtually locate a triangle in the far back of the orchestras percussion section or a violin soloist up front. Or I can perceive a violinist moving in front of the microphone one or two feet back and forth or to the sides. And yes, this is just CD sources, the ol' red book.

Don't you get a similar sound reproduction with the equipment listed in your profile?
It looks you have the Dave already. What do you feed it with? What do you expect the improvement to be with Blu2?

Feb 2, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #7,440 of 25,905
Icebear
I use Red Reference III as my transport for Dave. I still have great belief in the potential of Red Book.

To answer your other question this is what I anticipate hearing when I team the Blu2 M Scaler with my Dave Dac:

Chords own description:

"it becomes simpler to perceive the leading edge of transient notes, creating a life-like sound-field. Bass definition is massively improved, with greater ability to follow the tune. Sound-staging, instrument separation and focus are also noticeably better, along with vastly improved variation in instrument timbre."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back