CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jan 9, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #6,721 of 25,897
Actually I have had the half M taps since September on my home theatre. With Blu there is a dither switch for CD - but when you are using the SPDIF this switch controls the delay, and there is a video mode which reduces the latency from 0.66 seconds to 100 mS which is fine for projectors and audio delay set to 0.

But over Christmas I discovered a cool feature with JRiver. I play Blu ray discs with JRiver, and you can set the delay up to 2.5 seconds, so the audio is delayed by 2.5 seconds. Then I thought what if it accepted a negative delay? That is delaying the video not the audio? And it works - setting it to -0.56 gave me perfect lip sync! So I can play a blu ray disc with JRiver and the full 1M taps with the M scaler engaged.

Media Player Classic also allows negatively delayed audio and I was planning to use this when my DAVE arrives.

I was thinking I could use a formula to work out the delay introduced by the taps. For example with 48kHz film audio, 16x upsampling to 768kHz with 164,000 taps implies a delay due to half the length of the filer: 82,000 taps. 82,000 divided by 768,000 is 107 milliseconds. What you've written with regard to Blu 2 upsampling confirms that (assuming 0.66 is the delay with 1 million taps).

Now playing: Low - If You Were Born Today (Song for Little Baby Jesus)

Jan 9, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #6,723 of 25,897
Thanks, Fredrik. 

I am home now (I arrived late last night and it's been tough to report back until now).  It was probably the best CES in recent memory with lots to see and hear.  The Chord room and the time spent with Rob and John were easily the highlight.  Thank you both!  Just the most gracious hosts!

Both Blu 2 and Davina can indeed be used with any DAC including a Mojo, Nagra, etc.  Blu 2 will likely be the best CD transport in the universe regardless of what DAC it is connected to.  Davina could well compete with the very best phono preamp in the world even though you would be going from analog to digital and back to analog again.  As Rob has stated, it can also be used to digitally record analog media to a very high standard if a computer is connected to Davina via USB, perhaps the highest standard ever known.  Only when combined with DAVE can either of these devices truly equal analog because it is only with 1 million TAPS that you can faithfully recreate the original analog waveform.

As for my honest first impressions, here they are.  To be fair, it will take me more listening time in my own system to really tell you what I think.  I don't think I have a golden ear any more than anyone else but I have a very good sense of what I like and what I'm looking for and because I have sought to hear and compare many things, what I do have in abundance is perspective.  I believe it is well known to most that I covet the experience of a live performance in an acoustical venue.  Large orchestral classical music is by far my favorite genre and probably the most challenging for a DAC to convincingly portray but I also love other types of music, especially live jazz and even rock and pop as long as the performance is soulful.  As I write this, I am listening to Pink Floyd.  I find it amazing what DAVE can do with any genre.

What I will say is the combo of DAVE + Blu 2 just took a massive step forward in sounding like you are there and that is probably the finest compliment I can give any piece of equipment.  In a live situation, never have I wished that the sound was warmer, more organic, had fuller midrange, more extended highs or better bass but as you know, to achieve this type of balance requires more than just a good DAC although the DAC is obviously a foundational piece.  In some ways, compared to the Vienna Acoustic speakers and the Chord Mezzo 75 amp that were used in Chord's setup, I like my system at home better but this obviously took me much time and effort to achieve and I also believe this has a lot to do with my DAVE directly powering my speakers.  I cannot overstate just how HUGE I believe Chord's upcoming digital amp will be for a speaker setup or for headphones that require more power and how much better this type of setup will reveal the impact of 1 million TAPS.  Even compared against the million dollar setups I heard at CES over the weekend, I have yet to hear a setup that speaks to my heart and my overall sensibilities better than what I have at home.  Despite this, what I heard with DAVE + Blu 2 was very very special and I heard it immediately and I'm certain most will also.  In a simplistic sense, yes, there is better depth and clarity of detail but these things are huge because these are the things that all DACs strive for and yet so few truly achieve.  As DAVE owners, we are already spoiled by these qualities and yet the M-scaler gives you more of it, so much more that in comparison, the DAVE by itself sounded hazy and flat, descriptors that I have never before used with the DAVE.  I know what you're asking, however.  In the end, it really isn't just about depth and clarity of detail, it is a greater sense of musicality and engagement that we seek and so if this is your question, then let me provide you this perspective.

As I do at all audio shows I attend, I listen to a lot of different setups and without fail, I am always impressed by a few.  This year, I really enjoyed hearing the new YG Audio Sonja XVS ($265,000) powered by a pair of wonderful Audionet amps.  Interestingly, as a prominent European journalist came into the room for a listen, they abruptly switched from digital playback to vinyl.  I have witnessed this a lot, however.  When it matters most, most rooms switch to vinyl.  Why?  Because their vinyl setups are more musically engaging.  Even in the Nagra room, which I always enjoy, René Laflamme seemed to play more analog than digital even with Nagra's newly updated HD DAC.  Of course, this is never the case in MSB's room where their statement Select II DAC takes center stage with no turntable or reel to reel in sight.  The MSB room is always well done and just like at RMAF, the Select II was showcasing its new MQA capabilities to very good effect.  I will discuss MQA in a later post as I have much to say about it having witnessed the mobs at the MQA booth but what I will say is that with the Select II, MQA resulted in a clear improvement in terms of you guessed it -- better clarity of detail and depth.  In a nutshell, MQA attempts to achieve exactly the same things as the M-scaler, to bring you closer to the performance.  Does it do it better than DAVE or the M-scaler?  I think you might already know the answer to that.

Here are a few observations that are not new to me but have become glaringly more apparent with each show that I attend.  In just about every room that was playing digital, the music that was playing was your typical audiophile fare that always sounds good in any well-implemented system but also very easy for even a $100 AudioQuest Dragonfly DAC to portray.  In fact, I heard just such a presentation with a Dragonfly DAC in the AudioQuest room that sounded as good as many of these rooms.  That's right, soundtracks with lots of synthesized bass, solo studio vocals from the likes of Diana Krall, Rebecca Pidgeon or Steely Dan but rarely do I hear anyone playing unamplified orchestral music.  

In the past year, I have sat in the MSB room at 4 different audio shows and have always enjoyed the selections that Vince Galbo has queued up.  He obviously chooses music that the Select II portrays well but I always found it curious that he never played classical music.  This year, as the room was nearly empty and he was open to suggestions, I asked him to play a classical piece and he admitted he had a very limited selection of classical music but agreed to play a piece he had on hand.  It wasn't really a classical piece but more of an orchestral soundtrack but it was very telling.  The presentation was explosively dynamic and the instruments had nice air around them typical of what I would expect from the wonderful dual power bases that power the Select II.  At the same time, while there was this nice air around the instruments, true depth was lacking, depth that I routinely hear with this type of music with my DAVE and heard in much greater abundance at the Chord room just minutes before.  Moreover, fine details seemed to be missing or else were blurred together.  Instead of an onion with numerous layers of detail that I had heard in the Chord room, it was like an apple with a thick peel and then the core of the fruit.  Plenty of meat but without the juicy succulent layers.  Lacking was the nuance and subtle articulation that I am used to with orchestral music.  The mass of violins had no variation and sounded homogenous.  Furthermore, the attack was more diffuse and the leading edge less incisive, as if a dull knife had been used to make the cut.  Others may disagree, but speed is not the strength of this DAC.

As I reviewed my notes of how my DAVE directly compared against the newly revised Nagra HD and the dCS Vivaldi some months ago, I realized the differences were the same:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766517/chord-electronics-dave/5160#post_12940576

However, having just experienced DAVE + Blu 2 prior to coming to the MSB room, it seemed the contrast with the Select II was considerably greater.  For someone who routinely finds great engagement with orchestral music with their DAVE, this was not engaging at all and so I can imagine this could be a reason why MSB (or anyone else) doesn't routinely play orchestral music -- it just doesn't sound convincing in their systems.  Of course, there's also the possibility these people don't enjoy classical music but not to have it on tap is unusual to me considering many audiophiles love classical music.

Here is another perspective I would like to offer.  I have become very friendly with my local Audio Note UK dealer.  He is a true lover of music which I appreciate and so we have had many wonderful discussions about music and have spent hours in his shop listening to vinyl spinning in his system.  Before I bought my Omega Alnicos, I had strongly considered buying a pair of his wonderful Audio Note speakers although as the Audio Note Alnicos start at $30k, this was not a purchase decision one takes lightly.  I also looked at the Audio Note DAC that he had on hand (the 2.1 Signature).  This DAC sounded pleasant enough in his system comprised of a pair of Audio Note 300B tube amps although it paled in comparison to his vinyl setup.  In his opinion, "nothing compares to vinyl" although he has never heard my DAVE.  Nonetheless, he once tried to sell me an Audio Note DAC stating it was the best digital he had ever heard even though it couldn't compare to his vinyl setup but one thing in particular that he told me was very telling:  "Audio Note DACs never measure well but they sound great."  This told me all I needed to know, that he preferred the sound of distortion and I believe many people do, even if it is even-order distortion.  This suggests that the digital converter is so bad that it needs to be softened and sweetened somehow through the analog output stage.  It's why people with off the shelf silicon DACs oversample to DSD, because DSD sounds smoother and less edgy.  Even though DSD lacks detail, to lose this detail is better than to deal with the substrate noise that is inherent to chip DACS.  

Having owned a very fine TotalDac d1- monobloc, I find NOS DACs like the Nagra and most resistance ladder DACs much more to my liking than any chip DACs I have thus far heard.  They are indeed smoother and less "digital" sounding than chip DACs but I admit now that it is a distortion that I favor with NOS DACs.  The problem with enjoying distortion is while pleasing on some level, there are limits to how real and engaging this can ever sound and you don't realize it until you hear something like the DAVE.  With NOS specifically, there is the other problem of low ambition.  The NOS concept aspires only to translate the original digital signal as best as it can.  Rob, as we know, aspires to a much higher goal as he has been very clear that his goal has always been to reproduce the original analog waveform and this is simply not possible without oversampling and so it is ironic that people equate NOS to analog when it has no real intentions of truly being analog.

As far as the M-scaler impacting the DAVE's tonality, I didn't get that sense at all.  If you are looking for a true analog sound, then M-scaler + DAVE is as close as you will get with its million taps but if you are looking for a certain warmth or bloom that is missing from your system, I believe this balance is best achieved through your analog components and not your digital components (ie warmer headphones/speakers, warmer copper or gold-infused cables, a First Watt JFET amp or 2A3 tube amp, etc).  In truth, a DAC is also an analog component and you could pair the Blu 2 with something like the Nagra HD with its tube output stage to achieve a warmer signature but having compared this DAC directly against the DAVE, this warmer tonality comes at a significant price of resolution. 

A great and thoughtful post as always Roy!

Interesting to read about the MSB Select II vs Blu 2 + DAVE combo. It is always hard to distinguish and compare setups in different rooms, with different speaker amps , interconnects and more factors...
From my impression i got the same as you, the MSB got plenty of air around every note that is thrown at you with a great 3D feeling to it.
The sound is detailed and a slightly thickened that can sound a bit slow. The soundstage is more massive than DAVE.
So again i would say from my impression that the Select II got some greater qualities in some areas, but DAVE is more life like, and got other qualities that the MSB doesn't, so it is as always a matter of taste.

I want to listen to the Blu 2 + DAVE and with other DACś as soon as i come over it!

Did they use the Cord Company Array 75 Ohm BNC cables between the Blu 2 and DAVE or?

And what model of USB - S/pdif converter were they using ?

This may sound a little cheap:

Then i am close to order a Blu 2 also but i am thinking on the aftermarket sale, that it is going to be easier to sell the DAVINA than the Blu 2 most probably because of more inputs (incl. USB input ? ) and the ADC for buyers with high recording demands in the wait for a more stand alone M-Scaler box coming out.

Jan 9, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #6,724 of 25,897
  Esau, at 705/768 kHz, 1 million TAPS is possible but only connected to DAVE via the dual DX inputs can this bandwidth be achieved.  With any other DAC connected by conventional means, the best bandwidth you can get is 352/384 kHz which is only half as good.  This equates to about 500,000 TAPS and this information comes from Rob himself.

As to when Davina will actually be ready, according to Rob, it would be anyone's guess and may not be ready by this time next year.  Davina was always more of a proof of concept and was designed to answer some important questions for Rob.  Its creation didn't stem from industry demand as has been suggested nor does he really care if it reaches critical mass but I know that it is important for him to get it right and as this is somewhat uncharted territory for him, there are some unknowns.

I find Blu to be just as ironic a product as Davina as there are some who will buy the Blu with no real intention of spinning CDs.  While I could certainly benefit from the Davina's ADC, I find the option of being able to spin an occasional CD that a friend brings over to have a bit more appeal.

Having actually placed my order for a Blu Mk 2 with the U.S. Chord distributor while at CES, I can tell you that both silver and black are options.

Roy, thanks for your complete (as usual) clarifications. I fully believed you when you said 1 million taps only with Dave but I wanted to point out that the product announcement copy did not make this clear. Ah well.

I also appreciate the fact that Davina will be ready when it's ready and, at the same time, it looks like Rob and Chord are moving at a rapid clip as evidenced by the code being essentially done and the PCB prototype arriving soon. Who knows, it could be 5-6 months, or not!

Thanks for clarifying on the color options which were not addressed in the product announcement.

I'm guessing that you'll be needing another HFC power cable for your Blu mkII!
etysmile.gif

Esau

Jan 9, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #6,725 of 25,897
Then i am close to order a Blu 2 also but i am thinking on the aftermarket sale, that it is going to be easier to sell the DAVINA than the Blu 2 most probably because of more inputs (incl. USB input ? ) and the ADC for buyers with high recording demands in the wait for a more stand alone M-Scaler box coming out.

Seems like you and I are thinking the same way. I could conceivably see a use for the ADC, going around and recording friends' vinyl records. Although that too is a stretch. But CDP is a 'never ever' type of proposition for me. Hmm...

Jan 9, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #6,726 of 25,897

The price is indeed high and so this is how I had to look at it to justify this purchase for myself.  
You are absolutely correct but imagine what would happen if Blu Mk 2 was half the price. A much cheaper non-Chord DAC could potentially reach or exceed DAVE's performance for half the price of DAVE which would be quite upsetting for DAVE owners who have no plans to upgrade. I believe there is a balance here that must be respected for Chord not to upset its customers. As all things go, eventually, with time and advancement of technology, 1 million taps will likely one day trickle down to a Mojo-type device at Mojo-type pricing and Hugo 2 is a good example of that progression and so for those that are willing to wait, I'm sure that Chord will one day deliver. What is exciting for me is to see how quickly technology is advancing, not just for Chord but for other brands as well and so it is the consumer that wins here. Rob had previously shared with me that when he first idealized the concept of 1 million TAPS while at university years ago, FPGAs didn't even exist and so 1 million TAPS had always been more of an idealized concept rather than a practical thought. To actually have achieved 1 million TAPS is not only a momentous occasion for Rob, I'm sure, but really a momentous occasion for all of us who have embraced digital as our preferred medium. As the old guard who will continue to cling to their turntables for sentimental reasons die off, I can't see analog media as having any real reason to exist in the future.

The last decade or so has provided the world with younger and younger generations of vinyl lovers so the old guard is morphing into a new guard. There are also plenty of recordings that have never been released in digital formats, thus, giving people continued incentive to do needle drops.

BTW there is an even older guard of reel to reel fanatics who believe that CDs recorded onto R2R tapes are the way to go. To my mind, they are trying to tap into R2R's euphonic distortion but then again I've never had a chance to listen such recordings, let alone AB them with the digital source material.

Jan 9, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #6,727 of 25,897
Rob,

I have hesitation to buy Blu 2 now. I am worried that if Davina comes out later the year, it will have improved version of M scalar. Furthermore, do you think you will incorporate Poly to Davina?

Jan 9, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #6,728 of 25,897
Rob,

I have hesitation to buy Blu 2 now. I am worried that if Davina comes out later the year, it will have improved version of M scalar. Furthermore, do you think you will incorporate Poly to Davina?

I don't think either of those will happen. Chord has been very clear that the Blu Mk2 has their best scalar to date, and tech doesn't change in a few months.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Poly to Davina also doesn't make sense- how will an analog (non-digital) signal get passed via wi-fi to the Poly in this case? But if you're asking about an M-scalar device with Poly built in, then that may be interesting...

Jan 9, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #6,729 of 25,897

I hope my statements weren't taken too far out of context.  It's sometimes difficult to convey the degree of how much better something sounds in words and so sometimes, people will infer things that the writer wasn't intending.  I hold MSB and the Select II in very high regard.  The same thing goes for the Nagra HD.  Along with the TotalDac line and the dCS Vivaldi, these would round out my top 5.  If someone gave me either of these DACs, I know I would enjoy them but if I had to spend my money, I know which one I would buy and I wouldn't hesitate even 1 second even if all of these DACs cost the same.  As I stated, I don't profess to have any more of a golden ear than anyone else but I have a strong sense of what I like and what I'm looking for and because I have heard and have been able to compare many things, I have the advantage of perspective over some.  I know what's out there and I know how good things can get relative to the real thing and thus far, I have not come across anything that sounds as vividly real as my DAVE in my system.  If I were to stop now, I know I would be very happy, perhaps forever, because the balance that I have and the engagement that I feel for my music every time that I turn my system on is at "giddy" levels and has been this way for some time.

Prior to arriving to CES, Rob had prepared me with the idea that I would be hearing something very special.  Given that I have been around the block a few times and knowing the high level that my system was already at, I came to CES with an open mind but also a fairly realistic expectation of just how much better something new can sound.  It is very rare these days that I hear something and am surprised because I have gotten pretty good at adjusting my expectations appropriately.  Nonetheless, given the more modest setup that the DAVE and Blu 2 were in relative to what I have at home, I found myself more than a little surprised and was actually quite shocked.  In any given room at any high-end audio show, when someone switches from digital to vinyl, you know it right away because it always sounds different, in most cases, it's better and I think we all know what that step change sounds like.  This step change was much more pronounced and what is most shocking is that we weren't comparing the M-scaler to Mojo, we were comparing it to DAVE!  Prior to coming to CES, I had expected that I would be waiting for Davina (if I even bought the M-scaler at all) but as Rob has said, after the first 2 minutes, all that I could think of was "where's my wallet, I'm ready to buy now."

Yes, you are right, you cannot directly compare something like the Select II against the DAVE + Blu 2 when they are in different rooms and part of different systems and so you are wise to have picked up on that.  To be honest, MSB does such a wonderful job setting up their rooms that in past shows, I have always preferred what I have heard in the MSB room compared to what I have heard in the Chord room and if I were to make a purchase decision based on those experiences alone, I would opt for the Select II but on this occasion, even though the list price for the components in the MSB room well exceeded $250,000 and the list price for the components in the Chord room where Blu 2 was featured was probably less than $50,000, the Chord + Blu 2 presentation was that much more musical and engaging and performance differences between the two became much more apparent to me once that orchestral track was played.

As for the cables that were used, I'm not exactly sure what they were.  I recall they were only using BNC cables as playback was directly from CD.  There was no USB to SPDIF converter in sight but I am earnestly evaluating the quality of these devices at this time.  Rob has suggested that because of how the signal is scaled before it is passed along to DAVE and because the BNC connection will be galvanically isolated, it really shouldn't matter what converter I use but I'm not taking chances, nonetheless, and so I'll be able to offer my comparisons when the time comes.  

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #6,731 of 25,897
Don't forget the BNC connections on Dave are not galvanically isolated☺

But they will be on Blu 2 and Davina.  You only need galvanic isolation on one end but this does mean you will need decent BNC cables with good RF rejection.

Jan 10, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #6,732 of 25,897
The USB port is bi-directional, so it can input any sample rate/32 bits and at the same time output any sample rate/32 bits. USB is galvanically isolated. I suppose that via an appropriate app one could then transmit to Dave via USB. But the BNC outputs are galvanically isolated too so that won't represent a SQ degradation as its the galvanic isolation that makes by far the biggest difference.

Rob

Rob are you able to reveal if Hugo 2 USB is galvanically isolated? Thanks.

Jan 10, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #6,733 of 25,897
Hi Romaz

Very interesting points about Vinyl and how when a serious journalist enters the room, they switch to Vinyl.

However on some recent Vinyl I am not sure I like them, the digital version from Mojo (let alone Dave) sounds more musical.

And then outside the Chord Dac world, I have a friend who owns a Naim 272 Streamer/DAC/Preamp. with the massive regulated PS555 power supply, and he also says he can't hear the superiority of his Vinyl rig (which costs less than his digital one), and he isn't prepared to invest any further in analog playback (in his words "there isn't that big difference") The album in question was Bruce Springsteen "born to run" as a specific case. 

I guess at these shows, they must be playing analog recorded Vinyl (and I hear the instant superiority and clarity of this, for instance the Metallic Load album on 45 RPM direct from the analog master tapes from Bernie Grundman).

Regards

Jan 10, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #6,734 of 25,897
I shall buy Blu2 without a demo, as I did with the Dave. I have been through Red Ref I, II and III. There is nothing to demo for me. When I bought the Chord amp I did demo that and also compare with competitor products and I will probably do so again for the new amps but only to make sure my speakers are driven properly. I believe in Robs judgement. It is proven. The Chord sound to me always seems to have a pristine quality that reflects the various gradients of their products. There is nothing flabby about Chord sound. It has a precision and maybe because I spent years listening through headphones trying to get the best recording I could of a particular instrument or vocal, Rob's products work for me.

Edit: just like to point out that my recording days were non commercial. I just have an obsession with music and sound which has gone to great lengths over the years.

Jan 10, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #6,735 of 25,897
Romaz
One thing that I am surprised you didn't focus on when describing the Blu2 improvements is timbre of instruments. Perhaps because there was just so much of everything else! The reason I say this is that I can tell quite a noticeable difference in this area through the Dave when I compare the Red Reference upscaling to 88.2 from 44.1. Particularly noticeable on electric guitar. Instruments that I know well like Fender Strat or Gibson LP. I would expect the same of any instruments you are particularly well acquainted with in an analogue environment. Would be interested to hear your thoughts on this aspect of the sound?

Edit: 'Acoustic Twelve String' is also very noticeable because of its complexity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back