CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Aug 4, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #4,021 of 25,821

Roy,

I wonder how they do this on a daily basis.  
For one, you need a quality inverter to connect the car battery with a power strip.
This additional unit may bring in noise and distortion.  Whether this is less than the local utility is debatable.

Another issue is that the inverter can run truly hot so safety can be an issue.

Finally, a really large car battery rated 500 amp hours can drive a 25 amps system continuously for 20 hours.  That's not even a day.  Of course, if all we want is to drive the DAVE with headphones, we won't need 25 amps.  Still, that $150 battery will need to be replaced regularly.

Hmm, maybe through Amazon subscription service....

paul

No inverters are used.  The amps are directly DC powered by the batteries.  

Aug 4, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #4,022 of 25,821
Some DAC's have DC input Jacks, in my case it has a12 volt input, which is handy.

I never suggested doing anything with the Dave.

If I had a fat-cat DAC like the Dave, I would just lean back in my fat-cat chair and enjoy the music!!! 
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #4,023 of 25,821
  Some DAC's have DC input Jacks, in my case it has a12 volt input, which is handy.

I never suggested doing anything with the Dave.

If I had a fat-cat DAC like the Dave, I would just lean back in my fat-cat chair and enjoy the music!!! 
biggrin.gif

Yes.  The battery option for the Nagra HD DAC cost another $2000 US.

paul

Aug 4, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #4,025 of 25,821
I have a quick question for Rob Watts. With the Mojo set to the line level of 3V clicking the volume down will give 1.9V, closer to the standard 2V CD standard output. With the DAVE set to DAC mode it's volume setting is -3dB which outputs 3V (6V balanced). Will setting the pre-amp mode volume to -7dB result in 1.9V (3.8V balanced)?

Thanks. :)

P.S. There is a typo in the manual that states the DAC mode sets volume to 3dB, but the display shows -3dB on the DAVE when set to DAC mode.

Aug 4, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #4,026 of 25,821
I think that there may have been one too many taps in the algorithm? :blink:

Guys, what is the Mojo doing on the Dave thread? :evil:

Has anyone tested if the IFI IPurifier2 improves the SQ of the Dave?

I have the iFi iUSB 3.0 and I heard no change in the DAVE either. For most DACS the iUSB 3.0 offers plenty. Not for the DAVE, though.

Aug 4, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #4,027 of 25,821
    It has been said that an unamplified voice is the most difficult thing for audio equipment to convincingly reproduce

So true. I've heard many a system sound otherwise fine but fall to pieces trying to play vocals, even sounding painful, shrill, grainy, or at least obviously mechanical or artificial.
It's the real acid test. I think our brains are tuned to know what true voice sounds like. I envy the people who only listen to classical without many vocals. I think they have an easier time of it getting things right.

Aug 4, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #4,030 of 25,821
Aug 5, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #4,031 of 25,821

One reason is that he may want to use the Dave in his car. 

Not a bad idea.  I have been looking for ways to upgrade the seriously woeful DAC in my Tesla Model S.  Light Harmonic (maker of the DaVinci and Sire DACs) is considering manufacturing such an upgrade.  What a dream come true it would be to incorporate a DAVE in a car (or even a Mojo).

Aug 5, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #4,032 of 25,821
  Not a bad idea.  I have been looking for ways to upgrade the seriously woeful DAC in my Tesla Model S.  Light Harmonic (maker of the DaVinci and Sire DACs) is considering manufacturing such an upgrade.  What a dream come true it would be to incorporate a DAVE in a car (or even a Mojo).

Let's just say that you buy the Model S for its acceleration and its looks - not its interiors... 

Aug 5, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #4,033 of 25,821
As some have expressed interest in some of HFC's products with the Chord DAVE, especially their mains cables, MC-0.5 Waveguides and their MC-6 Hemisphere line conditioner, here is a review that just came out from our very own @bacon333.

https://audiobacon.net/2016/08/02/high-fidelity-ct-1-ultimate-power-cord-and-mc-0-5-review/

Aug 5, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #4,035 of 25,821
  As some have expressed interest in some of HFC's products with the Chord DAVE, especially their mains cables, MC-0.5 Waveguides and their MC-6 Hemisphere line conditioner, here is a review that just came out from our very own @bacon333.

https://audiobacon.net/2016/08/02/high-fidelity-ct-1-ultimate-power-cord-and-mc-0-5-review/

Roy,

I am wondering if this would work in your view if I substitute HFC CT-1 power cable here with one of my Sigma cable to a Shunyata MPC-12C for my computer gear.  The 2 MC-0.5s stay where they are.  
Then the other outlet will be another Sigma cable into a Triton V2, which powers my DAVE.

DSCF8635.jpg

(does it matter where i buy that orange thing?)

paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back