Aug 4, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #4,006 of 25,868
Aug 4, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #4,007 of 25,868
Lol, Auto Correctus in Extremis!
biggrin.gif

ACE. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #4,008 of 25,868
@ x RELIC x:

I think it's time you upgraded your auto-correct algorithm to one with 164,000 taps, don't you? It doesn't seem very accurate, right now!
tongue.gif

Aug 4, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #4,009 of 25,868
  @ x RELIC x:

I think it's time you upgraded your auto-correct algorithm to one with 164,000 taps, don't you? It doesn't seem very accurate, right now!
tongue.gif

I think that there may have been one too many taps in the algorithm?
blink.gif

Guys, what is the Mojo doing on the Dave thread? 
evil_smiley.gif

Has anyone tested if the IFI IPurifier2 improves the SQ of the Dave?

Aug 4, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #4,011 of 25,868
It will not make a difference or any improvement in the SQ as per advice from audiophiles here in this forum

Thanks for your reply!

That is interesting, as it seems that the microRendu improves the SQ?

One last general question, has anyone experienced if a simple battery powered supply to a DAC can compete with the expensive and more elaborate linear power supply's?

Aug 4, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #4,012 of 25,868
Aug 4, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #4,014 of 25,868
  One last general question, has anyone experienced if a simple battery powered supply to a DAC can compete with the expensive and more elaborate linear power supply's?

Yes, Rob has.  The Mojo, Hugo and TT are all based on some form of battery technology (supercapacitors).  For these DACs, it was what he thought was best.  For the DAVE, because of the techniques employed to isolate the DAVE against the power supply and against ground noise, he went with a medical grade switching PSU.

As recently debated on this thread, there is much more to consider in a power supply than whether it is linear or switching in topology and with linear power supplies, they are certainly not all created equal with many factors to consider including the size of the transformer used to avoid core saturation as well regulator design to minimize ripple noise, output impedance, etc.  Rob has stated that he believes the ultimate power supply for audio is a 12v sealed lead acid car battery as they provide very large amounts of clean power on tap with sufficiently low impedance and so this is the standard of power supply he strived to compete against.

Aug 4, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #4,015 of 25,868
  Yes, Rob has.  The Mojo, Hugo and TT are all based on some form of battery technology (supercapacitors).  For these DACs, it was what he thought was best.  For the DAVE, because of the techniques employed to isolate the DAVE against the power supply and against ground noise, he went with a medical grade switching PSU.

As recently debated on this thread, there is much more to consider in a power supply than whether it is linear or switching in topology and with linear power supplies, they are certainly not all created equal with many factors to consider including the size of the transformer used to avoid core saturation as well regulator design to minimize ripple noise, output impedance, etc.  Rob has stated that he believes the ultimate power supply for audio is a 12v sealed lead acid car battery as they provide very large amounts of clean power on tap with sufficiently low impedance and so this is the standard of power supply he strived to compete against.

I wonder how long a car battery can power the DAVE without recharging.

paul

Aug 4, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #4,016 of 25,868
  My impression is that most owners and reviewers measure the quality of DAVE based on music genres known for pristine recording quality - classical, jazz and other mainly acoustic genres. I am all for testing gear using recordings where you have an idea about how instruments and vocals are supposed to sound in real life. I would do the same. But when daily musical preferences point toward the harsh, murky world of extreme metal, what would Rob Watts`creation become then? A very shine pearl before swine? To put it another way: I am very tempted by DAVE for pairing with my HE-1000, but will its vanishingly low distortion and exquisite timing work wonders for the black metal buzz as well as the vast dynamics and ambience of a symphony? The temptation to have a top-flight DAC is hard to resist. In the grand scheme of things, DAVE is affordable if it could provide a lifetime of musical joy.  

Or should I just aim for the possibly rounded flavour of the Mojo? 

I agree with what JaZZ and Crgreen have said.  The quality of the recording more than the genre is probably the more important factor and I find modern recordings to be more consistently of a high standard regardless of genre.  There is a head-fier here who owns a DAVE (who I will not name) who listens largely to gangster rap with his DAVE.  At first, I thought he was joking but he was not and he was quick to tell me that rap recordings are some of the best recordings out there and sure enough, while listening to some gangster rap on the DAVE, while I could do without the offensive language, I was quite impressed.  It has been said that an unamplified voice is the most difficult thing for audio equipment to convincingly reproduce and while no one will be fooled in a blind test against the real thing, the DAVE does a very credible job.

Aug 4, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #4,017 of 25,868

I wonder how long a car battery can power the DAVE without recharging.

paul

I know people who power their monobloc amps with car batteries.  It's not a pretty sight but very effective.

Aug 4, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #4,018 of 25,868
Guys, thanks again for all your answers!

As most of you will know, it will depend on the Amp-hour rating of the battery, as to how long it would last with the Dave, etc.

If we knew the power usage of the Dave was, it would be easy to work out how long a particular battery would last.

Aug 4, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #4,019 of 25,868
  I know people who power their monobloc amps with car batteries.  It's not a pretty sight but very effective.

Roy,

I wonder how they do this on a daily basis.  
For one, you need a quality inverter to connect the car battery with a power strip.
This additional unit may bring in noise and distortion.  Whether this is less than the local utility is debatable.

Another issue is that the inverter can run truly hot so safety can be an issue.

Finally, a really large car battery rated 500 amp hours can drive a 25 amps system continuously for 20 hours.  That's not even a day.  Of course, if all we want is to drive the DAVE with headphones, we won't need 25 amps.  Still, that $150 battery will need to be replaced regularly.

Hmm, maybe through Amazon subscription service....

paul

Aug 4, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #4,020 of 25,868
  Guys, thanks again for all your answers!

As most of you will know, it will depend on the Amp-hour rating of the battery, as to how long it would last with the Dave, etc.

If we knew the power usage of the Dave was, it would be easy to work out how long a particular battery would last.

Rob has already said he could no longer differentiate his setup against a 12-volt car battery and so I'm not sure what you think you would achieve trying to use a car battery to power the DAVE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back