CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
May 5, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #2,792 of 25,909
Simon.

My Dave arrives hopefully tomorrrow and I will be connecting my Sigma Analog and Sigma digital cables with it for compare.
Right now, a space is reserved for the Dave out of slot 2 of a Triton V2.  I have slot 1 for the Nagra HD DAC.
I too spoke for a long time with Shunyata people since last summer and listened to the units since.  

I am pretty sure using the Triton V2, MPC-12C and assortments of Sigma HC, Sigma Analog and Sigma Digital throughout the chain is overkill for Dave or something like it.
It is very hard to go for that extra 0.1% improvement.

PAul

I think you guys need one of these, so you don't need to guess what cable doing what with the RF noise, then you have a hint of where to begin in the Power Cable / Plant jungle:

Blue Horizon Noise Analyzer

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/bluehorizon/2.html

I have one on order!

Price: $ 1500.00 in EU

May 5, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #2,793 of 25,909

Thank you brightonjel and romaz. Those sonictransporters look interesting.

Considering that a big attraction of the DAVE for me was it's small size, I'm also looking at a small, low maintenance server, and the basic sonictransporter has an option for up to 2TB of internal SSD, which will be more than enough for all my redbook FLAC files (if I ever go DSD, I can always add a NAS drive later). As it's fanless as well, that means absolutely no moving parts and small enough to be tucked away in a cupboard somewhere. Note quite a single box solution, but it has its attractions.   

I agree which is why I have ordered one of these with the 2TB SSD.  What is especially interesting about this unit is that you could potentially use it without the Sonicorbiter or microRendu as it does have a USB port that you should be able to directly connect to the DAVE.  If your main interest is to have a compact and silent computer and are interested in saving some money, this could be used as a standalone Roon server.  On other DACs, SQ may not be that good but with the DAVE, SQ will probably be excellent.  How much better with the microRendu?  I'm not sure but I will try and find out.

May 5, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #2,794 of 25,909
I'm having a blast over the past few days playing with the Phase control setting. It's amazing what a difference it makes going from one recording to another.

May 5, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #2,795 of 25,909
This is what I have on order without the internal SSD options. I plan to buy and install 2 2TB internal SSDs
when the unit is delivered.

http://www.nativsound.com/en/music-server

Interesting device.  Looks well designed and has a nice feature set including multiple digital outputs (AES, BNC, USB).  I think I saw this advertised on Massdrop.  How much?

May 5, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #2,796 of 25,909
I think you guys need one of these, so you don't need to guess what cable doing what with the RF noise, then you have a hint of where to begin in the Power Cable / Plant jungle:

I have one on order!

Strong tool this one.
For much smaller budgets.  Take a look here:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/using-entech-line-noise-monitor-meter-noise-sniffer-13863/

I tried using one of these plus I have a few other measuring tools from my days as IEEE member...
Best readings have been from the Shunyata systems.  Have not tested the new Niagara 7000.

Paul

May 5, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #2,797 of 25,909

I have one on order!

Interesting device.  It would be helpful if you could plug a mains cable into it so you could assess how much RF was coming through the mains cable (or how well the mains cable was filtering RF).

May 5, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #2,799 of 25,909
  I suppose it is pretty official...  I'm on the list for a DAVE!  I guess the Canadian distributor is out of stock and we are waiting on more from the UK.

Thanks for all the help everyone :)

Congrats, Paul!  Another DAVE/Abyss guy.

May 5, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #2,801 of 25,909
I'm having a blast over the past few days playing with the Phase control setting. It's amazing what a difference it makes going from one recording to another.

It's amazing how many recordings are out of phase, even modern recordings, but this is not entirely unexpected with multi mic recordings.  If your music is sounding hollow or thin, especially in the bass region, its a good bet it's out of phase.  One of the more useful settings on the DAVE, for sure.

May 6, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #2,804 of 25,909
To open or not open.
it's 2am ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back