1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by magiccabbage, May 14, 2015.
Tags:
First

Back
172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181
183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192
Next

Last
  1. bigfatpaulie

What's interesting is that, as far as our hearing goes, we really aren't.

Good thing bats and the likes aren't audiophiles...  But back to the DAVE...

2. Mython Contributor

Nope.

That really isn't interesting [​IMG] 

Seriously, though, much of human hearing is dependent upon the brain (and possibly even the 'soul/spirit', too, if you'll forgive me getting a little theological, only to make the point that human hearing is more complex than we yet understand).

Bats may have superb ultrasonic hearing, but (who knows?) they might not do much else with it, other than echo-locate [​IMG]

For all we know, humans might have a far-richer experience of what they hear than bats perhaps do with what they hear. For example, when I hear some pieces of music, it evokes an emotional response in me so strong that it literally affects the energy in my entire body, and/or moves me to tears - I am not speaking figuratively. I wonder how many bats ever experience that? It would be difficult to definitively delineate where the soundwave, the perception of it, and the generation of an emotional and/or bodily energetic response to it, each begin and end, in relation to one another. Hearing can be a multi-faceted thing!

Still saving for my DAVE...

brightonjel likes this.
  3. romaz
    For those of you interested in a magnificent recording that absolutely shines on the DAVE, consider Magnificat which you can download on 2L's website.

22491-572_BE0CD8DD7FEFAD6366263B2CDEEF389.jpg

It was recorded in DXD (24/352.8) in 2014 and is an example of a recording that should be superior on the DAVE vs vinyl.  You can download the original DXD version for about $30 and is stunning in its presentation of piano, string orchestra, organ and female chorus.  Even if you are not a fan of this type of music, it's hard not to appreciate the qualities of a recording like this.  It was recorded in the magnificent Nidaros Cathedral in Trondheim, Norway.  While impressive even on ordinary playback equipment, on the DAVE it is all the more superb.

Currawong and Mython like this.
  4. paulchiu

Hey Doc,

Can you post the link for this?
    My black Dave arriving Tuesday.
    !!!!!!

Paul

5. Mython Contributor

http://www.2l.no/pages/album/106.html

6. paulchiu

Wait. I don't have an universal player for the bluray audio.
    Would audirvana or media center play the first part (the download)?

7. Mython Contributor

Why not try playing some free test-tracks, first?

http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html

paulchiu likes this.
  8. romaz
    I can assure you that the stereo DXD version is captivating and immersive.  It is an engineering masterpiece where the orchestral players move about several times over the course of the recording.  The depth and the layering of detail that the DAVE portrays so well sounds like surround sound on this recording.  

9. romaz
    While not as emotive as Magnificat, "Reflections, also from 2L, is another DXD recording worth your $30 and presented magnificently on the DAVE.  

Reflections.jpg

This, too, is an engineering marvel and is recorded in 12.1 immersive audio although no less compelling in 2-channel stereo on the DAVE.

Reflectionsphoto1.jpg
    ReflectionsPHoto2.jpg

https://shop.klicktrack.com/2l/474969?

10. warrior1975

Thanks, downloading some of those now. Totally forgot about this website. Been over a year since I last tried them.

11. gnomen

Coincidentally, I downloaded this on Saturday, for playing via my Hugo TT.  It is magnificent: content, performance, sound quality.  Highly recommended here too!

12. kkcc
    hey guys need your help... I'm done holding onto my wallet and ready to make the jump from Hugo to DAVE.  Unfortunately I had a less than wonderful experience with ordering from the local dealer (which I understand is just starting to carry Chord but their parents don't seem to think much of my local market).  Would have really liked to audition before I buy but with my Hugo and Rob/John's generous sharing I'm ready to buy blind for a first time.

Any recommendation of a reputable seller who might have it in stock?  I'm also considering getting the new spm1050mk2 together with DAVE and legs as a set.  Would appreciate if you can PM me so that we don't derail the DAVE discussion.  

Cheers!

paulchiu likes this.
  13. rkt31
    I downloaded many free dxd sample from 2l. frankly speaking while those samples sounded very dynamic and open but samples had a kind of brightness which I have not experienced in some very clean recordings of opus3 records and reference recordings labels. those were not dxd but still sounded so much more realistic and natural. waterlily acoustic's fusion recordings like a meeting by the river, tabula rasa and hollow bamboo are the cleanest I have ever heard.

14. paulchiu

can you post links to these natural sounding tracks?

Paul

15. Mython Contributor

http://waterlilyacoustics.com/main.htm

Ry Cooder, V.M. Bhatt — A Meeting by the River
    Béla Fleck, V. M. Bhatt, Jie-Bing Chen — Tabula Rasa
    Ronu Majumdar, Ry Cooder, Jon Hassell, Abhijit Banarjee — Hollow Bamboo

First

Back
172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181
183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192
Next

Last