CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Mar 29, 2024 at 7:48 AM Post #25,756 of 25,842
Which tube amp do you like? I'm very nervous to get another HP amp out of the Dave because I got the Anni on glowing recommendations and it was awful (to me - super smeary)

(Edit - oops, I'm an idiot - you mention it like 3 posts above - Envy, sorry.)
Highly recommend Dave and DNA Stratus combo, too. Just doesn’t give you as much power for planars.

Mar 29, 2024 at 8:08 AM Post #25,757 of 25,842
Sorry….. I meant DAC as you have the Envy!!!!
Holo Audio May
the envy is great with my dave...
I absolutely agree. Will happily stick with it indefinitely. The May is the last major piece of equipment I want to try before deciding for sure. Can't read any more impressions at this point. I have to try it for myself.

However, the changes I've heard between WE 300b and the Elrogs on my Envy tell me I think I like a warmer sound than I realised. In chasing detail and resolution as far as it will go, I missed that. So it makes sense to at least try a May.

I'll be trying them out side by side. Can post impressions when I'm done.

Mar 29, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #25,758 of 25,842
Holo Audio May

I absolutely agree. Will happily stick with it indefinitely. The May is the last major piece of equipment I want to try before deciding for sure. Can't read any more impressions at this point. I have to try it for myself.

However, the changes I've heard between WE 300b and the Elrogs on my Envy tell me I think I like a warmer sound than I realised. In chasing detail and resolution as far as it will go, I missed that. So it makes sense to at least try a May.

I'll be trying them out side by side. Can post impressions when I'm done.
I owned both together at the same time for quite some time..They compliment each other well

Mar 30, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #25,759 of 25,842
Hey guys, decided to get back into the DAVE game.
Back to thinking about the best way to Roon-ify DAVE+MScaler- I used to have a Sonore opticalRendu and optical ModuleDeluxe.

Would very much appreciate someone enlightening me as to the current preferred source options.

Many thanks in advance,
Nick

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #25,761 of 25,842
Back to thinking about the best way to Roon-ify DAVE+MScaler- I used to have a Sonore opticalRendu and optical ModuleDeluxe.

Would very much appreciate someone enlightening me as to the current preferred source options.

Many thanks in advance,
Nick
Ropiee works very well. I have an optical hat on a pi4. It’s a cheap way to get started.

Mar 30, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #25,763 of 25,842

Many thanks in advance,
Nick

Well I currently prefer the AES/EBU input that is reclocked through Mutec MC3. Before that I used USB to SRC.DX and double BNC into DAVE. And before that I used the AES/EBU input without any reclocking.

Others prefer other inputs. So it's really up to you what you prefer. If your are after an inexpensive start, perhaps an upmarket USB might be a good start. I still have the Sablon EVO USB cable that gets used occasionally for music above 192kHz limit of AES/EBU.

Regards
GG

Mar 31, 2024 at 3:51 AM Post #25,764 of 25,842
used to have a Sonore opticalRendu and optical ModuleDeluxe.

The Sonore OpticalRendu and OpticalModule are still my preferred front-end... :D

Mar 31, 2024 at 4:14 AM Post #25,765 of 25,842
Good to hear! Likely going for the same setup I had before, albeit with the new optical Rendu (v2)

Mar 31, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #25,766 of 25,842
The Sonore OpticalRendu and OpticalModule are still my preferred front-end... :D
The EtherRegen does a much better job of converting from fibre-optical to copper wire than Optical Module. In comparison, the OpticalModule has smearing of notes meaning less defined starting and stopping of notes together with less accurate transients whereas the EtherRegen lets you hear them in all their glory very clearly. Well in my setup, at least. Obviously YMMV or even does vary.

Apr 1, 2024 at 2:57 AM Post #25,767 of 25,842
Good to hear! Likely going for the same setup I had before, albeit with the new optical Rendu (v2)
I should explore getting/creating a dedicated music player with local stored music.. original 44.1 early 80's RBCD rips in particular (if you like older recorded music ofc).

I use one of these thinclients (can be bought for £50) running stripped Win7 embedded and foobar2k (free) Foobar can play from a NAS using SMB (Samba) filereading (is not music streaming) with a choice of different looking control apps for your phone/tablet (like Foobar controller, Monkeymote, FoobarCon)

Its fanless, has fiber network, external psu, few chips on board, power efficient (means less noise) And most important you are in control and decide what and how many player software it runs. I use a self inbuilt DDC USB-toslink to Mscaler > Dual optic > Dave.

s-l400-1.jpg

Its my player for 8 years and i heard it vs expensive units like Aurender, Rose etc.

Im playing with the idea of getting its smaller brother, getting the board out and design a Choral housed player with it

Apr 1, 2024 at 3:39 AM Post #25,768 of 25,842
I should explore getting/creating a dedicated music player with local stored music.. original 44.1 early 80's RBCD rips in particular (if you like older recorded music ofc).

I use one of these thinclients (can be bought for £50) running stripped Win7 embedded and foobar2k (free) Foobar can play from a NAS using SMB (Samba) filereading (is not music streaming) with a choice of different looking control apps for your phone/tablet (like Foobar controller, Monkeymote, FoobarCon)

Its fanless, has fiber network, external psu, few chips on board, power efficient (means less noise) And most important you are in control and decide what and how many player software it runs. I use a self inbuilt DDC USB-toslink to Mscaler > Dual optic > Dave.

s-l400-1.jpg

Its my player for 8 years and i heard it vs expensive units like Aurender, Rose etc.

Im playing with the idea of getting its smaller brother, getting the board out and design a Choral housed player with it
Appreciate the input! I should have added that I already have a pretty great music server that I had with my previous setup:

https://theaudiostore.co.uk/product/audiostore-prestige-new-2024-models-copy/

It is similar to what Small Green Computer offer. Hence being on the lookout for an endpoint only to Roon-ify the Dave and Mscaler:)

Apr 1, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #25,770 of 25,842
Highly recommend Dave and DNA Stratus combo, too. Just doesn’t give you as much power for planars.
I second this. I had both for a while. Sounded brilliant. Only sold Stratus to upgrade to wa33. Still miss it. Best on dynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back