CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Mar 19, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #25,726 of 25,842
I'm sure some will write this off as hyperbole, but I know the music I've been listening to for the past few weeks trying out DAVE and what it sounds like now with this new power cable. I hadn't really digging my Susvara with heavier rock/metal like Tool, but I feel like I'm now getting the deeper richer sound I expected from it. No, it's not got the insane punch and dynamics of my 1266 TC, but it sounds bloody delicious.
Not at all hyperbole. IME power cables generally make audible improvements to DACs, amps, and preamps. Other components, usually not.

Mar 20, 2024 at 10:03 AM Post #25,727 of 25,842
Might sound weird but it's been really hard for me to audition a Chord DAVE and I was wondering if I can pay someone to "rent" their DAVE for a week or so? I could also pay shipping both ways. I currently own a TT2, and have auditioned an M Scaler with it as well — but I'm trying to decide if I should go for an M Scaler or sell the TT2 and just get a DAVE.

Mar 20, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #25,728 of 25,842
Might sound weird but it's been really hard for me to audition a Chord DAVE and I was wondering if I can pay someone to "rent" their DAVE for a week or so? I could also pay shipping both ways. I currently own a TT2, and have auditioned an M Scaler with it as well — but I'm trying to decide if I should go for an M Scaler or sell the TT2 and just get a DAVE.

Have you asked Audio Advice in Charlotte for a home demo ?

Mar 20, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #25,729 of 25,842
Anyone here attending Axpona outside Chicago. I'm thinking about attending but unsure if it's really worth it: waiting lines etc. I wonder if Chord might have a preview of anything as well.

Mar 24, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #25,730 of 25,842
Hmmn, well, the two sides have staked their claims and there is only one way to find out so I am borrowing a Mojo 2 next week to compare to Dave. I will also try the Mojo 2 with MS. This will be in a speaker system as I do not own any headphones. The claims for Mojo 2 seem to centre around feeding it optical so I will use optical output from my Antipodes Oladra.
So hows your comparison going?

Mar 24, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #25,731 of 25,842
Mar 24, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #25,732 of 25,842
I only got my hands on it 4 days ago and it has been sat here glowering at me since then. :relaxed:
BTW, I still stand by my assertion, but can add few more details.

Mojo2 seems to be sensitive to the noise from its output.
I discovered it by playing with AC filtering on the integrated amp.
With DAVE, my amp was plugged into the wall, and it did not matter whether I filter the AC or not.
Mojo2, on the other hand, benefits form adding AC filtering in front of the amp.

Another thing that took my Mojo2 to the next level is a use of a supercapacitor power supply on the receiving side of the OPTO-DX.

Subjectively, I was instantly drawn back to DAVE after listening exclusively to M Scaler/Mojo2 for two weeks.
DAVE brought back the warmth, texture and weight.
But nostalgia lasted only few hours.
As soon as I built my DYI supercapacitor for OPTO-DX, I hooked the Mojo2 back and wow…
Detail, imaging, 3D-like presentation are better than DAVE, it is kind of addicting.
The sound is a bit leaner, so it is not everybody’s cup of tea, I suppose.

Mar 24, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #25,733 of 25,842

With DAVE, my amp was plugged into the wall, and it did not matter whether I filter the AC or not.
Mojo2, on the other hand, benefits form adding AC filtering in front of the amp.

Another thing that took my Mojo2 to the next level is a use of a supercapacitor power supply on the receiving side of the OPTO-DX.

Subjectively, I was instantly drawn back to DAVE after listening exclusively to M Scaler/Mojo2 for two weeks.
As soon as I built my DYI supercapacitor for OPTO-DX, I hooked the Mojo2 back and wow…
Detail, imaging, 3D-like presentation are better than DAVE, it is kind of addicting.

Im almost for fun getting a M2 and putting my optic link receivers in it fed by M2's battery so no noise or loops possible.
Then design and CNC a new housing for its PCB and link.

They dont take much space
20230507_182323.jpg

Ohwell ..

Mar 24, 2024 at 10:14 PM Post #25,734 of 25,842
Im almost for fun getting a M2 and putting my optic link receivers in it fed by M2's battery so no noise or loops possible.

20230507_182323.jpg

Ohwell ..
Beautiful work!

Mar 25, 2024 at 3:01 AM Post #25,735 of 25,842

Thanks for those details. That already moves me away from M2. The thing I struggle with most on Dave is that it's already on the leaner side. If I ever move from Dave it will be for something that has a similar level of transparency, imaging, and resolution but with more "warmth, texture, and weight."

You really are intriguing me though because all conventional wisdom says that Dave should do better than the tiny M2 by every imaginable metric. If M2 really is this good in those areas, maybe it can replace my H2.

Mar 25, 2024 at 5:40 AM Post #25,736 of 25,842
Thanks for those details. That already moves me away from M2. The thing I struggle with most on Dave is that it's already on the leaner side. If I ever move from Dave it will be for something that has a similar level of transparency, imaging, and resolution but with more "warmth, texture, and weight."

You really are intriguing me though because all conventional wisdom says that Dave should do better than the tiny M2 by every imaginable metric. If M2 really is this good in those areas, maybe it can replace my H2.
Just to make sure we are on the same page, I will repeat my disclaimer - I am not comparing solo M2 to solo DAVE.
For me the leaner side of DAVE was significantly diminished by the M Scaler or PGGB.
The MS/M2 combo is still leaner by comparison, but transparency fans might find it appealing.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #25,737 of 25,842

Ohwell ..
Your simply not trying if you can’t get it to fit 😜

Mar 26, 2024 at 3:52 AM Post #25,738 of 25,842
Just to make sure we are on the same page, I will repeat my disclaimer - I am not comparing solo M2 to solo DAVE.
For me the leaner side of DAVE was significantly diminished by the M Scaler or PGGB.
The MS/M2 combo is still leaner by comparison, but transparency fans might find it appealing.
Yup. Same page.

I wrote earlier, that if it were not for PGGB I would have moved off of Dave a while back. Don't get me wrong. I love upscaled Dave, but in my system it is still missing the sheer palpable density of what I've heard out of DCS or what I imagine the May might be capable of (I've never heard it). That is why I'm still eager to try out Lina or the Tambaqui when I get a chance. Now there's even the GSE of Wandla. All these are capable of benefitting from PGGB too, and the upcoming DSD algorithms.

Now, having said that, I feel I have to say one more time with feeling, I love my upscaled Dave!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back