CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Mar 27, 2024 at 9:13 PM Post #25,741 of 25,835
if you have efficient HP's the dave amp function is excellent FWIIW

Mar 27, 2024 at 9:30 PM Post #25,742 of 25,835
mDAVE with a modded PSU is real clean with the Sus and TCs. Without the modded PSU, it's limp. The DAVE is very sterile sounding. I like that sound, but others may find it lacking "emotion." I'm a big resolution and details guy, along with liking bass a lot. The modded PSU gives a little more density and oomph to the bass. Stock DAVE bass off hard to drive headphones is kinda a no-go, but I know there was this one poster (evan-something) who claimed he loved the Sus off the stock DAVE. Everybody disagreed with him, but nonetheless, it's another datapoint. All that said, I could live with only have a modded mDAVE and be happy. I wish it was XLR though. I don't really understand Rob's reasoning around hating XLR, but it is what it is.

Mar 27, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #25,744 of 25,835
mDAVE with a modded PSU is real clean with the Sus and TCs. Without the modded PSU, it's limp. The DAVE is very sterile sounding. I like that sound, but others may find it lacking "emotion." I'm a big resolution and details guy, along with liking bass a lot. The modded PSU gives a little more density and oomph to the bass. Stock DAVE bass off hard to drive headphones is kinda a no-go, but I know there was this one poster (evan-something) who claimed he loved the Sus off the stock DAVE. Everybody disagreed with him, but nonetheless, it's another datapoint. All that said, I could live with only have a modded mDAVE and be happy. I wish it was XLR though. I don't really understand Rob's reasoning around hating XLR, but it is what it is.
to me the detail of the dave coupled with a tube amp is simply unbeatable...others differ and that is why we have tons of choices which is great. the Dave is basically the only component I havent changed in years...perhaps one day I will but as of now I havent heard another DAC that moves me to change

Mar 28, 2024 at 2:49 AM Post #25,745 of 25,835
If you like its bass authority now (cause of external PSU's caps buffer), you should hear it with ultra low Z caps directly on the amp section.. Pure rumbling resolving heaven!

Mar 28, 2024 at 3:08 AM Post #25,746 of 25,835
I don't really understand Rob's reasoning around hating XLR, but it is what it is.
I don’t think it is a hate thing but just rather that the extra circuits in the Dave to create the balanced XLR outputs are always bound to be very slightly inferior compared to the simpler RCA output but whether it can be heard is a moot point. Having said that, my active speakers only have XLR inputs and I don’t lose any sleep over using the Dave XLR outputs to them, it still sounds superb.

Mar 28, 2024 at 4:26 AM Post #25,747 of 25,835
I don’t think it is a hate thing but just rather that the extra circuits in the Dave to create the balanced XLR outputs are always bound to be very slightly inferior compared to the simpler RCA output but whether it can be heard is a moot point. Having said that, my active speakers only have XLR inputs and I don’t lose any sleep over using the Dave XLR outputs to them, it still sounds superb.
I seem to remember that it was also an issue of cable length. For short runs RCA is the way to go, for longer runs XLR wins out.

I guess it is an issue of longer runs being more liable to ambient electrical noise pickup, which the balanced topology of XLR is designed to suppress.

Mar 28, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #25,748 of 25,835
I seem to remember that it was also an issue of cable length. For short runs RCA is the way to go, for longer runs XLR wins out.

I guess it is an issue of longer runs being more liable to ambient electrical noise pickup, which the balanced topology of XLR is designed to suppress.
I think Rob did use the example of recording studios, where XLR was implemented in order to boost the signal voltages and remove the noise associated with long cable runs.
For most audiophiles, the cable runs are much shorter, and the signal voltages are larger, so the benefits of XLR are less obvious.

Mar 28, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #25,749 of 25,835
If anyone fancies a deal on a DAVE I'll be selling mine next week. PM me if you're interested.

Mar 28, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #25,751 of 25,835
I've been using it with a Feliks Envy.

What I've heard from Elrogs and WE300b tubes assures me the May won't be overly soft (which Goldensound suggested to me it might be). However, everything I've read about it sounds like what I'm looking for these days.

I should point out, it is absolutely outstanding. I'm not searching for 'better'. Just more about fine-tuning for sound and dynamics preferences. I might actually be able to hold onto both rather than sell DAVE first. So pretty fantastic opportunity to trial both at home.

Mar 28, 2024 at 7:36 PM Post #25,753 of 25,835
the envy is great with my dave...

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:25 AM Post #25,755 of 25,835
to me the detail of the dave coupled with a tube amp is simply unbeatable...others differ and that is why we have tons of choices which is great. the Dave is basically the only component I havent changed in years...perhaps one day I will but as of now I havent heard another DAC that moves me to change
Which tube amp do you like? I'm very nervous to get another HP amp out of the Dave because I got the Anni on glowing recommendations and it was awful (to me - super smeary)

(Edit - oops, I'm an idiot - you mention it like 3 posts above - Envy, sorry.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back