CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Oct 30, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #24,841 of 25,903
So a non delay FIR filter is an asymmetric filter, so the FIR equivalent of an IIR filter. Transient reconstruction would be very poor, much worse than a symmetric FIR. So it's certainly not a good idea, just marketing driven way to make something different.
So ... that's what it is. Thank you, soooooooooo much. So, I do believe that scientists at NEC knew what they were doing, because ... um .... like these ancient CDPs using 2x OS have soooooooonics that are soooooo unbelievably "very poor" because of the " much worse than a symmetric FIR" :wink:

The FDNR is just a fancy name for an analogue filter using op-amps, resistors and capacitors.
Yeah, and NEC was so passionate -- and had the aerospace funding to do so -- they developed their own LPFs for their own CDPs.
https://pdf.dzsc.com/200879/200807091030569135.pdf
It's that vertical, flat thang (NEC lpf) next to the output-stage 5532s ...

image.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #24,842 of 25,903
I should probably use my iPad to feed the Dave directly and A/B vs the current configuration to see if I hear any difference.
A battery operated source should cut away any RF induced noise injected through the USB.
There's a high chance you will hear a difference connecting an iPad to DAVE via USB, and a decent chance it will be a pleasant surprise. Though your streamer is well liked so who knows.

I wrote about some sound quality problems caused by RF noise here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/post-16160284

When you improve part of a system it may come into conflict with some other tweak in your system. You could say as a rule of thumb that tweaks for parts of the system closer to the speakers (or headphones) than the tweak you've just made are of lower priority and should be re-evaluated. e.g. the toe-in of speakers might need to be tweaked...

A super-simple system is a blessing!

Oct 31, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #24,843 of 25,903
There's a high chance you will hear a difference connecting an iPad to DAVE via USB, and a decent chance it will be a pleasant surprise. Though your streamer is well liked so who knows.

I wrote about some sound quality problems caused by RF noise here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/post-16160284

When you improve part of a system it may come into conflict with some other tweak in your system. You could say as a rule of thumb that tweaks for parts of the system closer to the speakers (or headphones) than the tweak you've just made are of lower priority and should be re-evaluated. e.g. the toe-in of speakers might need to be tweaked...

A super-simple system is a blessing!

I use my ipad to control my Nuc Roon Server into my Mscaler, not wired mind you, but a wifi connection from my ipad pro to my router, then to my Nuc / Roon Server and from there to my Mscaler via a USB cable, Lindy Cromo line cable, triple filtered USB cable and from the Mscaler to my TT2 sounds great. Yes I know…….I said TT2 and this is the Dave thread, don’t worry, I won’t pollute the Dave thread with my genius posts.…….well, maybe the odd post here and there👺Muhahahahahaa

Nov 4, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #24,844 of 25,903
crappy weather and a lovely day at SoundKitchen in Rotterdam.
Warm welcomed with good coffee which is another specialty of theirs.

20231104_141736.jpg

I had my MDave with me cause it was headphone auditioning time once again 🎧

I wanted to try some models i havent heard alot as i'm still only using my old HD800.

So off the wall came Susvaras to start..
I tried them on my stack in combination with the Enleum amp and ofc direct out..

20231104_121834.jpg

It was a good listen on both setups but i wasnt blown away actually. Bass was deep and extended ..the stage and highs felt average vs my HD800. But what i wanted to test.. Dave direct did not sound thin anymore as before i made the cap mods, external amp or not felt equally authorative here.

Then the Hifiman Organic landed on my head.
i had to turn the volume down fast as its so much easier to drive.. its lower tier immediately showed but its well balanced. Only the treble was on the edge of sharp.. it had kind of a metallic resonance in its housing to my ears.

Next up was the Meze Elite.. from now on everything was driven direct off Dave.

Like a warm hug it grabbed me with a smooth and cozy signature ..this makes lounge style listening for long hours on the couch vs the Senns which place the perfomance further away on the same songs. Dave held firm grip on its drivers.. if i wouldnt be such a soundstagehead they would be an easy pick.
This Meze has a beautifully crafted cable i must say.

20231104_142232.jpg

Then i was handed the Final D8000 Pro to plug in. I never heard any offerings of this brand.
It had supprisingly good synergy with my setup. And easy to drive. Stage width was similar like my Senns but the depth was superb. I could make up vertical placement of instuments with ease on some songs like i havent heard before.

On the treble side it was interesting as it is bright and smooth at the same time, not piercing as i would expect but capable of digging up even more details with finesse.

In the bass department it was beautifully laid out.. here the Elite showed a bit more texture and easier to follow tune but imo the Final had this just fluently going into the mids.. just right for my taste.

Next i had to compare Dan's Stealth and Expanse to see how they behave on my modded Dave.

20231104_162536.jpg

Damn .. i havent heard the stealth this authorative before.. super controlled low end.. here i heard the clear improvement of my mods. Dave played around -8db volume as it needs more voltage but the current reserve in the caps truly show its benefit. The midrange i found a bit dry compared to the Meze which just has more magic and fun to my ears.
But the stage stayed to much behind for me when i play larger scale orchestral works.

The Expanse opended this part up.. but not by a large enough margin. They sound supprisingly close to each other for open vs closed type. If i had to pick one i would still go for the Stealth as the seal is just to much a benefit and it sounded the best balanced to my ears.

Oof 17:00 hours already.. time vaporizes so quick when having fun.

The Final is the one i will want more time with.
This i would like to hear next to Yamaha's YH5k.

Well i'm signing off now. Till my next journey

Nov 4, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #24,845 of 25,903
crappy weather and a lovely day at SoundKitchen in Rotterdam.
Warm welcomed with good coffee which is another specialty of theirs.

20231104_141736.jpg

I had my MDave with me cause it was headphone auditioning time once again 🎧

I wanted to try some models i havent heard alot as i'm still only using my old HD800.

So off the wall came Susvaras to start..
I tried them on my stack in combination with the Enleum amp and ofc direct out..

20231104_121834.jpg

It was a good listen on both setups but i wasnt blown away actually. Bass was deep and extended ..the stage and highs felt average vs my HD800. But what i wanted to test.. Dave direct did not sound thin anymore as before i made the cap mods, external amp or not felt equally authorative here.

Then the Hifiman Organic landed on my head.
i had to turn the volume down fast as its so much easier to drive.. its lower tier immediately showed but its well balanced. Only the treble was on the edge of sharp.. it had kind of a metallic resonance in its housing to my ears.

Next up was the Meze Elite.. from now on everything was driven direct off Dave.

Like a warm hug it grabbed me with a smooth and cozy signature ..this makes lounge style listening for long hours on the couch vs the Senns which place the perfomance further away on the same songs. Dave held firm grip on its drivers.. if i wouldnt be such a soundstagehead they would be an easy pick.
This Meze has a beautifully crafted cable i must say.

20231104_142232.jpg

Then i was handed the Final D8000 Pro to plug in. I never heard any offerings of this brand.
It had supprisingly good synergy with my setup. And easy to drive. Stage width was similar like my Senns but the depth was superb. I could make up vertical placement of instuments with ease on some songs like i havent heard before.

On the treble side it was interesting as it is bright and smooth at the same time, not piercing as i would expect but capable of digging up even more details with finesse.

In the bass department it was beautifully laid out.. here the Elite showed a bit more texture and easier to follow tune but imo the Final had this just fluently going into the mids.. just right for my taste.

Next i had to compare Dan's Stealth and Expanse to see how they behave on my modded Dave.

20231104_162536.jpg

Damn .. i havent heard the stealth this authorative before.. super controlled low end.. here i heard the clear improvement of my mods. Dave played around -8db volume as it needs more voltage but the current reserve in the caps truly show its benefit. The midrange i found a bit dry compared to the Meze which just has more magic and fun to my ears.
But the stage stayed to much behind for me when i play larger scale orchestral works.

The Expanse opended this part up.. but not by a large enough margin. They sound supprisingly close to each other for open vs closed type. If i had to pick one i would still go for the Stealth as the seal is just to much a benefit and it sounded the best balanced to my ears.

Oof 17:00 hours already.. time vaporizes so quick when having fun.

The Final is the one i will want more time with.
This i would like to hear next to Yamaha's YH5k.

Well i'm signing off now. Till my next journey

Good to hear your thoughts on the Final D8000 Pro. Not a headphone I’ve tried before but now interested to hear a pair.

Nov 7, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #24,847 of 25,903
Nov 7, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #24,848 of 25,903
Nov 11, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #24,855 of 25,903
So your opinion of dac is fully depending on a new unknown system? How can you know what is responsible for what in that scenario?

I wish I had your ears. :thinking:
Because I have heard MSB in this same room with the equipment. 😂. This same situation happened to me when I first heard Chord, I was blown away at the store with unknown equipment, then I took it home and it was even better. 😂 😂 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back