CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Oct 25, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #24,811 of 25,901
You can also use a single battery to power the streamer and M scaler together. The important thing is that they are optically connected to each other.

Oct 25, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #24,812 of 25,901
You can also use a single battery to power the streamer and M scaler together. The important thing is that they are optically connected to each other.
How does your battery powered Dave performs.. still happy?

Oct 25, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #24,813 of 25,901
I’ve found myself in that spot where the extra “dimension” may be noise from the device….. it’s such a refreshing dimension.

I can try putting the zen into the matrix spdif and put it’s optical output to the mscaler to see what happens.

The mscaler is on batttey, but zen and Dave would be on the mains

Oct 25, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #24,814 of 25,901
Oct 26, 2023 at 4:54 AM Post #24,815 of 25,901
Now i use the output 220V of a Powerbank BLUETTI EB55 with my Aurender N100H and the output 12V of a Powerbank BLUETTI EB3A on the HMS.
The 2GO HUGO2 and the Poly Mojo2 are on the USB output of the BLUETTI EB55 and stay powered ON.
The Aurender N100H with optical gives me the same result than the Chord 2GO2YU because i use, with the N100H, a WIFI bridge powered by the usb output of the N100H.
I need 2 BLUETTI because the Aurender send noise to the 220V. Some another streamers that i had owned do the same.
À Powerbank with inverter is THE good solution with 220V streamer. I suggest to place your Ethernet/modem on the Powerbank to.
I do not use the chord alimentation of the Hugo2 because like the Aurender, it sends noise to the 220V.

The BNC output of the Chord 2YU used with the HMS is as good as the optical.
I use it because the optical output of the 2YU do not work perfectly at 192kHz.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #24,816 of 25,901
It's a great device. I had one for a while, but moved on, which is not meant to dismiss your choice, but I was after something else. I went through a bunch of streamers and there was always a difference in sound quality - probably power supply / noise related. We know how sensitive digital is to such things. Innuos do a lot to mitigate those issues.
Yes I agree with you about the difference in sound quality between streamers. Not only that but also I have found that the playback software used by the streamer seems to have a profound effect on sound quality even when they all profess no digital processing.

I like the Zenith Mk3 and indeed still have one in a system. It is interesting that having tested various options Innuos intentionally did not used optical for any of their streamers apart from the entry level one and that this was on the grounds of sound quality. My main streamer at the moment is an Antipodes Oladra mk2 which has outputs including USB, BNC, AES3, IS2 and optical. Having tried all of them but not yet IS2 the favorite in my system from the Oladra into either Dave direct or via the Mscaler is BNC. Antipodes have recently improved their USB outputs across their range and that has helped improve its sound but not enough in my system to deflect me away from BNC.

I guess what I am saying that I don't think there is a universal answer about what is the best input into Dave or Mscaler. So far whenever I have used optical it has not been best for my system but that does not mean to say that others can't hear differently. Equally I don't think one can say that optical is a universally accepted optimum irrespective of system context.

Oct 26, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #24,817 of 25,901
I've a Pro-ject streambox s2 ultra, has an 'optimized' usb out for a DAC, it's cool but... in it's settings of 'Volume options' it screws up sound quality if NOT set to 'None'.
No issue if it's a set-and-forget thing, but it sporadically changes of itself, dunno why.
Just sharing...
Screenshot_20231026-194024_Pixel Launcher.png

Feels like volume interfering molest bit perfect or something.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #24,818 of 25,901
Hey guys. As mentioned. Ditched my mscaler for the MU1 with my dave. Its sweet. lavorgna just posted his review. Figured a bunch of dave heads would be interested:

“ in my 18 or so years of reviewing time, I have never had the opportunity to live with as resolving and musically breathtaking a system. And when music replay hits this level of performance, this level of astounding coherence, every piece of the system puzzle has an important role to play. You could even say ‘critical’ if you are anything like me and find listening to music to be an essential ingredient in a happy, healthy life.

Truth be told, this review could have been written much sooner in the MU1’s two-month Barn stay because I could hear its influence in this system soon after it took up residence therein. And this influence was most notably heard as increased resolution, finer and more finessed fine-grain detail, greater tonal saturation, increased dimensionality to the things making music, and a more precise and dimensional place for music to unfold within. Within this system context, these improvements with the Grimm MU1 acting as Roon Server and endpoint feeding the totaldac or Mola Mola via AES were heard and more importantly felt as important changes for the better. Changes that brought music to richer, fuller life in Barn through this system allowing for a seamless connection to whatever music I sent its way. All in all, pretty damn spectacular.”

https://twitteringmachines.com/review-grimm-audio-mu1-music-player/

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 3:50 AM Post #24,821 of 25,901
How would say the senore is an improvement?
My streamer journey ultimately lead me to fibre ethernet, which is not something Innuos support. Plus I'm a ROON user, and the Senore supports LMS which, to my ears, always sounds better than RAAT, so that was a second necessity. My benchmark are the qualities of sound I hear from vinyl replay, and my current digital setup has me the closest I've come yet - SFP is a key part of that.

Oct 27, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #24,823 of 25,901
If the source is optical, there is no need to worry about batter power (for the source)

Optical = light = no electrical connection
Depending on the electrical system even your neighbor’s washing machine has an electrical connection to your dac if it’s plugged into mains.
Does it matter in the end? I don’t know. Just for a reference test it’s safer not having a mains connection at all. Not even mentioning radiated noise, where distance would matter.

Oct 27, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #24,824 of 25,901
OK this is a shout out to folk with brains, my Nuc, which is a dedicated Roon Server, it does not have a optical output, usb out only, so I was thinking, what is a good USB A-A or A-B to optical converter.

Basically, I just want a decent converter box that takes a usb out connection from my nuc and converts it so that I can have an optical cable coming out of said converter box and going in to my mscaler, instead of the usb a to b cable which I’m using now.

So does anyone know of a good one ? Oh and I don’t want to spend £££s for one.

Oct 27, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #24,825 of 25,901
OK this is a shout out to folk with brains, my Nuc, which is a dedicated Roon Server, it does not have a optical output, usb out only, so I was thinking, what is a good USB A-A or A-B to optical converter.

Basically, I just want a decent converter box that takes a usb out connection from my nuc and converts it so that I can have an optical cable coming out of said converter box and going in to my mscaler, instead of the usb a to b cable which I’m using now.

So does anyone know of a good one ? Oh and I don’t want to spend £££s for one.
Leave NUC as just Roon server.
For optical output buy raspberry pi 4 + HiFi Berry digi pro plus (or newer version digi pro 2 I believe)
You will be surprised how good it is.
Once me and @Ragnar-BY did a comparison of such streamer vs optical rendu + farad3.
Many audiophiles would be shocked with the outcome.

Oh and yes the stack was M scaler + Dave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back