CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Oct 17, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #24,800 of 25,902
I heard the Dutch and Dutch the other day, and thought they were not very good at all, unless you like electronic music perhaps. Pity because they are small, light, have lots of smart DSP and cardioid technology. But nowhere near ATC for sheer, solid musical credibility.

Don't know about that, recently heard the 8c pitted against the SCM50 ASL, and the 8c walked all over it for overall musicality and SQ. I'm sure D&D have improved their DSP since. Also shows how good Class D amplification with digital crossovers are.

Oct 18, 2023 at 2:44 AM Post #24,801 of 25,902
Don't know about that, recently heard the 8c pitted against the SCM50 ASL, and the 8c walked all over it for overall musicality and SQ. I'm sure D&D have improved their DSP since. Also shows how good Class D amplification with digital crossovers are.
I listen to a great deal of live classical music - three concerts in the last week - happy to stand by my judgement, and happy to respect yours.

Oct 18, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #24,802 of 25,902
Reviews are pretty much useless as this hobby is all taste, one has to go listen to the equipment and make a decision based on one's taste and preferences, reviewers infuse their own preferences into reviews, everyone has different tastes and preferences. It's like taking a review of a cuisine, you may or may not like that cuisine, why bother with such a review? Then there are the special interests and advertising revenue these magazines and sites have, just plain conflicts of interests.

Oct 24, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #24,803 of 25,902
I obtained an innuous zen 3, feeding mscaler the usb output, I have to say I’m floored by what I’m hearing, both on head phones and speakers.

On headphones, it feels like an extra dimension is being provided, much more space, discernible layering, reality.

Mostly, I’m feeling that kind of intoxication lol, it’s that good, it feels like this is the bit that maybe my system has been missing.

Previously, I’ve been using a combination of laptops, desktops, chrome cast audio, Audiolab cd player, matrix spdif 2, but this is much better.

I’ve been listening for a week now, so hopefully it’s not a placebo effect.

Oct 25, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #24,805 of 25,902
I obtained an innuous zen 3, feeding mscaler the usb output, I have to say I’m floored by what I’m hearing, both on head phones and speakers.

On headphones, it feels like an extra dimension is being provided, much more space, discernible layering, reality.

Mostly, I’m feeling that kind of intoxication lol, it’s that good, it feels like this is the bit that maybe my system has been missing.

Previously, I’ve been using a combination of laptops, desktops, chrome cast audio, Audiolab cd player, matrix spdif 2, but this is much better.

I’ve been listening for a week now, so hopefully it’s not a placebo effect.
A dedicated streamer is more likely outputting real bit perfect data, out of the box than a PC and software.. on which a wrong setting can easily be overseen. Chord DAC's let you hear that difference instantly.

I made my own audioserver using a thinclient PC with fiber network in and toslink out, carefully stripped its OS and use foobar2k.. with the (only) right player settings its as good as a high-end dedicated streamer to my ears.

Oct 25, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #24,806 of 25,902
All a source should do (in terms of sq) is deliver bit perfect data whilst creating the least noise possible. Sending bit perfect data is actually not hard nor expensive. Technically the best solution would be a battery powered source connected via optical, so complete isolation. It is a very good source if all other ports sound as warm as optical. The rest is just convenience, beautiful ui and connectivity options you are paying for.

Oct 25, 2023 at 6:56 AM Post #24,807 of 25,902
I obtained an innuous zen 3
It's a great device. I had one for a while, but moved on, which is not meant to dismiss your choice, but I was after something else. I went through a bunch of streamers and there was always a difference in sound quality - probably power supply / noise related. We know how sensitive digital is to such things. Innuos do a lot to mitigate those issues.

Oct 25, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #24,808 of 25,902
A dedicated streamer is more likely outputting real bit perfect data, out of the box than a PC and software.. on which a wrong setting can easily be overseen. Chord DAC's let you hear that difference instantly.

I made my own audioserver using a thinclient PC with fiber network in and toslink out, carefully stripped its OS and use foobar2k.. with the (only) right player settings its as good as a high-end dedicated streamer to my ears.
Dynamics are much improved, which means you can listen at lower volumes with great satisfaction.

Oct 25, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #24,809 of 25,902
It's a great device. I had one for a while, but moved on, which is not meant to dismiss your choice, but I was after something else. I went through a bunch of streamers and there was always a difference in sound quality - probably power supply / noise related. We know how sensitive digital is to such things. Innuos do a lot to mitigate those issues.
How would say the senore is an improvement?

Oct 25, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #24,810 of 25,902
All a source should do (in terms of sq) is deliver bit perfect data whilst creating the least noise possible. Sending bit perfect data is actually not hard nor expensive. Technically the best solution would be a battery powered source connected via optical, so complete isolation. It is a very good source if all other ports sound as warm as optical. The rest is just convenience, beautiful ui and connectivity options you are paying for.
Totally agree, its why i use a DAP with toslink out (on the right) as my reference source when doing evaluations.

20231004_122231.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back