CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Oct 8, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #24,766 of 25,934
Today visited the Dutch audio event and ofcourse the Chord booth to have a chat and get my ears on the new Ultima. They played on Sonus Fabers

I noticed the Mscaler was connected but hidden from display..

For what its worth.. the guy from Chord could say the new scaler will be priced around the €10k mark. But still awaiting production parts..

20231007_120617.jpg

20231007_120950.jpg

20231007_122359.jpg

Also went to the headspace corner to try out the new Yamaha YH5000SE among others on Dave (stock)

Boy this thing sings ..im certainly going to try it in a silent room on my modded one 😁

20231007_141111.jpg

Also compared this to DCS Lina + clock with a open mind ..but sorry.. not for me, it is really clean and powerful but i cant help to miss that space awareness and natural timbre Dave has.

20231007_135719.jpg
I've listened to dCS several times and it hasn't moved me once, sounds digital and non-engaging to me, not for me.

Oct 8, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #24,767 of 25,934
he 6800uf/v16 cap is soldered with the plus pin on C8 and negative on a ground isle of the header SMA2 on the picture.

But i think Chord will correct this for free even if your unit is out of warranty.
Thank you very much for the intel !
If the pop doesn't hurt, I could live with it for a while until I get time to examine the insides myself.

Edit:
Just found out, switching first off with remote controller, then with back switch, no pop.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #24,769 of 25,934
I don’t switch mine off from the back…ever.
also a strategy...

I'm new to ms+dave family (ms+tt2 before) and it stuns me how easily the dave magic potential can be compromised.
My dave stack ran really fine. Only changed added a new powerline with better earthing (to serve the mains filter Puritan ps106dc better) expecting only-better, suddenly it was worse? Eh, very nice but....where's the eargasm in each song?

Now, I had to change things to regain 'that' SQ again:
- optical instead of bnc from streamer (holo red) to ms, so removing the ground connection here, which made no difference before;
- now I needed to remove the stock smps of ms and went to battery feed, big difference which was no difference before the new mains line.
(battery might be replaced with dedicated power source later)

Confirming the credo 'an opinion about gear' = an opinion about a chain, thinking mainly of reviewers and audio stores/shows now.
Fooling around empirically/accidentally bumping onto better shackles of the chain.
Realizing you've been, unavoidably, driving with partial brakes on somewhere somehow for a while ... and perhaps still doing.

Oct 9, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #24,770 of 25,934
also a strategy...

I'm new to ms+dave family (ms+tt2 before) and it stuns me how easily the dave magic potential can be compromised.
My dave stack ran really fine. Only changed added a new powerline with better earthing (to serve the mains filter Puritan ps106dc better) expecting only-better, suddenly it was worse? Eh, very nice but....where's the eargasm in each song?

Now, I had to change things to regain 'that' SQ again:
- optical instead of bnc from streamer (holo red) to ms, so removing the ground connection here, which made no difference before;
- now I needed to remove the stock smps of ms and went to battery feed, big difference which was no difference before the new mains line.
(battery might be replaced with dedicated power source later)

Confirming the credo 'an opinion about gear' = an opinion about a chain, thinking mainly of reviewers and audio stores/shows now.
Fooling around empirically/accidentally bumping onto better shackles of the chain.
Realizing you've been, unavoidably, driving with partial brakes on somewhere somehow for a while ... and perhaps still doing.
Hmm, I haven’t made any changes from stock either, apart from a pair of Wave bnc cables from Innuos streamer to ms. Very happy with sound and not chasing any changes.

Oct 10, 2023 at 1:59 AM Post #24,771 of 25,934
Hmm, I haven’t made any changes from stock either, apart from a pair of Wave bnc cables from Innuos streamer to ms. Very happy with sound and not chasing any changes.
I let a friend ear-taste my hifi setup and said: "Yeah I hear all that, cute, but I care less, for me 80% is good enough" and he listens truly happily to his boom box.
I couldn't persuade him to buy a better camera either, very same attitude.
Knowing he is a tech inclined nerd like me and has the money for better gear, it was a humbling lesson for me.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #24,772 of 25,934
I let a friend ear-taste my hifi setup and said: "Yeah I hear all that, cute, but I care less, for me 80% is good enough" and he listens truly happily to his boom box.
Knowing he is a tech inclined nerd like me and has the money for better gear, it was a humbling lesson for me.
The saying goes 'You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink'

Oct 10, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #24,773 of 25,934

Same for my wife, she listens in the car and a Bluetooth speaker, absolutely loves it for next to nothing in cost. Honestly I wouldnt be surprised if she enjoyed listening to music more than me. I tried getting her listen to my high end system and she just says “that’s nice babe” and goes back to her own little speaker. She’s too busy singing along to care and not worrying about RF noise.

As another saying goes ignorance is bliss.

Oct 10, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #24,774 of 25,934
Totally true, at some point we also have to stop worrying about the RF noise and everything else and just enjoy the music.
Same for my wife, she listens in the car and a Bluetooth speaker, absolutely loves it for next to nothing in cost. Honestly I wouldnt be surprised if she enjoyed listening to music more than me. I tried getting her listen to my high end system and she just says “that’s nice babe” and goes back to her own little speaker. She’s too busy singing along to care and not worrying about RF noise.

As another saying goes ignorance is blis

Oct 10, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #24,775 of 25,934

As another saying goes ignorance is bliss.
women process sound different. fight vs flight. male fights... sound is more about survival... visceral... explains why this is a male dominated hobby by an order of magnitude.

women are interested in the feelings/environment associated with music... the party more than the actual details the experience of "listening". After the hunt/war the male returns the camp is safe... the women can relax... the male is listening for disturbance. Big difference in how we process sound for survival and it evolution to modern tech and consumption.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #24,776 of 25,934
Totally true, at some point we also have to stop worrying about the RF noise and everything else and just enjoy the music.

Many of us are plagued with this audiophile nervosa that stops us from actually sitting back and enjoying music. It’s like your brain is on overdrive thinking about tweaks and improvements. There’s a certain point where good enough should be exactly that. How many of us are actually guilty of reading or watching videos about equipment more than listening to music.

Oct 10, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #24,777 of 25,934
Many of us are plagued with this audiophile nervosa that stops us from actually sitting back and enjoying music. It’s like your brain is on overdrive thinking about tweaks and improvements. There’s a certain point where good enough should be exactly that. How many of us are actually guilty of reading or watching videos about equipment more than listening to music.
how many are more interested in building a gaming PC vs gaming? we like to build and take pleasure in our "work" this is identical. The music is just the "test" for achievement... I am sure most get more joy from "building" a stack than listening.... nothing wrong with this.

Oct 10, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #24,778 of 25,934
how many are more interested in building a gaming PC vs gaming? we like to build and take pleasure in our "work" this is identical. The music is just the "test" for achievement... I am sure most get more joy from "building" a stack than listening.... nothing wrong with this.

I didn’t say there was anything wrong with that, to me the design and technology of audio hardware is highly fascinating but I still think we should prioritise the listening and enjoyment of music over the tech.

Oct 10, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #24,780 of 25,934
My GF listens to my hifi and I see her getting goosebumps, so it does work!
Then she says wow nice and forget all about it one minit later...

Man/men have dig-deep-deeper DNA sequence somewhere, and we should imho acknowledge this as a survival asset and not feel guilty about it, yet honour it.
Just get it canalized somehow, balance it. Don't buy into the guilty of obsession remarks too easily, also your very own.

Like any asset (money, muscles,...) when unbalanced, is potential detrimental. Just watch yourself if things go south.

I think we're all obsessed and in-escape somehow, unavoidably.
Just try to manage it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back